Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/21/2016 7:07:33 PM EDT
Been googling for it all day and have come up dry. Got the ATF FAQ page stating a non-licensee may make a firearms r personal use, but it doesn't go into marking requirements. The only mention of marking requirements is under the importer and manufacturer tabs, but I am in specific looking for the quote regarding something to the effect of, "Persuant to GCA of 1968, non-licensees do not have to engrave information on home built firearms....but it is encouraged for identification....yadda yadda yadda.....for return to owner in case of lost or theft.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Been googling for it all day and have come up dry. Got the ATF FAQ page stating a non-licensee may make a firearms r personal use, but it doesn't go into marking requirements. The only mention of marking requirements is under the importer and manufacturer tabs, but I am in specific looking for the quote regarding something to the effect of, "Persuant to GCA of 1968, non-licensees do not have to engrave information on home built firearms....but it is encouraged for identification....yadda yadda yadda.....for return to owner in case of lost or theft.
View Quote

Your google-foo must really, really suck - first hit for me.

I don't think you really searched all day....

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/0813-firearms-top-12-qaspdf/download

Section 11 on starting on page 7, specific paragraph the 2nd on page 8...
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:00:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I ran across that when researching 80%ers. But it led me to another question that I never really found a concrete answer on. Sort of a continuation of the OP's question.

When one builds a non-NFA firearm for personal use it doesn't have to be marked. It's suggested, but not mandatory. What about when that person decides to sell/give the weapon to someone else?

I am under the belief that it would then have to be marked prior to transfer. Correct or not?
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:18:48 PM EDT
[#3]
You are allowed to build your own firearms, without requirement to mark them in anyway and to then sell them later at some date should you so choose to.  But therein lies the problem with your search.  Law defines what you can't do or what you can't do "unless..."   The laws you will find are written around required licensing for manufacturers who build with the intent to sell.  Since none of that allpies to us, you won't find any laws designed for "us".  

Having said all of that, since you won't find a law stating you are allowed to do so, most assume, to stay on the safe side, that you can't and choose NOT to sell any homemade firearms.  

Do what you need to do so you can sleep well at night and keep yourself free and clear of any legal issues.  Not taking legal advice from the Internet wannabees would be a good start.  But I get that's not what you were doing here.  You were looking for legal documentation to support your would be actions.  Hopefully somebody can offer just that rather than giving their unqualified legal advice.

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:30:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL apparently.  You'd be surprised the number of things that are blocked on our work computers.  I was doing most of the searching on my phone.  And you got me...it wasn't "all day" it was probably 3 hours of it though along with figuring out which of my firearms I have here, their serial numbers, and their OALs
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top