Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2016 7:59:47 PM EDT
I just purchased an Armspec XPDW collapsible stock.

Without using some sort of modified BCG/buffer system (the Troy PDW stock has a very clever one for example), how short can I make my buffer tube?

I realize that if I shorten the buffer tube a significant amount I'll need to adjust the spring length and also shorten the buffer itself, but that's all possible with just simple trial and error.

Can anyone recommend a commercially short buffer tube that's maybe a tad shorter than the standard pistol buffer tube?

Thanks,

G.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:30:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Why bother? The Troy uses only a modified buffer, a spring, and a short tube. It retains the standard BCG. Reinventing the wheel is pointless.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#2]
The "why bother" is because I already purchased the XPDW stock.

I got a blemished one for $149 at Tactical Sh!t.

The Troy system lists for $499.

The $350 difference buys me more ammo or a deposit on better optics.

And because I just want to.

If you don't know, just say so.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok then possibly use a lead filled buffer to match the LWRC ultra compact sized buffer and cut/weld a buffer tube to the same length. I have a LWRC at the house and will be home Thursday if you want the dimensions, I don't have a scale though so I can't get you the weights. I know Heavy buffer makes a copy of the UCIW  buffer in several weights including one for 9mm.

The LWRC was $131 regularly, but I got it on sale for $99 around Christmas last year.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 10:26:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got an SBR using the LWRC UCIW and another using the MVB ARC Stock.

The UCIW is really nice. Drop in and go. Only PITA is all the parts in it are proprietary.

The MVB is nice, but heavy. Their buffer tube threads into the lower, and the rear cap locks it in place. They accomplish the shorter tube by using a dual buffer spring with one captured in the other. It would not be easy to machine something like that. I can submit pics of mine if it would help.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top