Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2016 3:19:54 PM EDT
I'm waiting on some stamps, as soon as they come in I'll be replacing an HBAR upper with a new short .300BLK upper. I intend to reuse the same bolt and carrier in the new upper. The bolt has maybe 2000 rounds on it, tops. Likely less. Bolt was sold as being MPI and all that good stuff.

Searching seems to indicate that I am probably OK to reuse the bolt. Checking headspace would be a good idea but not strictly necessary.

Am I doing anything needlessly foolish or dangerous?
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm waiting on some stamps, as soon as they come in I'll be replacing an HBAR upper with a new short .300BLK upper. I intend to reuse the same bolt and carrier in the new upper. The bolt has maybe 2000 rounds on it, tops. Likely less. Bolt was sold as being MPI and all that good stuff.

Searching seems to indicate that I am probably OK to reuse the bolt. Checking headspace would be a good idea but not strictly necessary.

Am I doing anything needlessly foolish or dangerous?
View Quote

Reusing the bolt is fine since both cartridges share the same bolt. I would disassemble the bolt and check headspace when the new barrel comes in, though. Probably not totally necessary, but it's an easy thing to do, and certainly can't hurt for the sake of being safe. Post pics once your stamp comes in.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:58:37 PM EDT
[#2]
"- am I going to die?" Yes, and me and everyone else, no one gets out of this game alive.  However there would be no problem reusing the 223/5.56 bolt as it's the same for a AAC 300 Blackout.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Reusing the bolt is fine since both cartridges share the same bolt. I would disassemble the bolt and check headspace when the new barrel comes in, though. Probably not totally necessary, but it's an easy thing to do, and certainly can't hurt for the sake of being safe. Post pics once your stamp comes in.
View Quote

Thats what I was thinking. Any AR barrel and AR bolt *should* work together. However I'm dealing with mid-market vendors so maybe something was right at the edge of tolerances, the old bolt and barrel wore in together, and now we're out of spec on a new barrel and new caliber.

I'll scrounge up a field gauge. The other possibility is that the ATF doesn't get my stamp back and I can get a deal on a bolt or BCG at NRAAM.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 11:51:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not just get a new bolt for $55 and call it good?

ETA: back-up bolt/FP/retainer/cam kit here.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Picked up a DSA BCG at NRAAM for $85, problem solved.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top