Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2016 4:01:23 PM EDT
First off, they intrigue me. I have watched several videos and done my research....my question...I have a 7 amp Ryobi router(large size) and I have access to a drill press. ...questions

1) Is there one particular jig you have tried personally and with good success you would recommend that would work with the above tools?

2) If using a larger router, do they come with some type of platform to keep the jig level?

3) I would be interested in a universal jig assuming one exists....

Help me narrow.....it seems like there are a multitude of jig companies....

THANKS!
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Have used Modulus Arms with great success.  Well designed, Well built.  Easy to use.  I used a laminate router and it was more than capable.  For me, the hardest part was using a handheld drill (vs. a drill prease/ xyz table).  Wasn't really hard, just slow going.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
First off, they intrigue me. I have watched several videos and done my research....my question...I have a 7 amp Ryobi router(large size) and I have access to a drill press. ...questions

1) Is there one particular jig you have tried personally and with good success you would recommend that would work with the above tools?

2) If using a larger router, do they come with some type of platform to keep the jig level?

THANKS!
View Quote

I would recommend the Modulus Arms HD Jig.  I've completed several lowers with mine and it works well.  I have a Makita trim router.  They do not recommend full size routers, although it could probably be done.  One reason besides it being more difficult to use a big router on the platform that is on the jig, the trim routers come with a 1/4" collet and that is the shank size of the end mill that is normally used.  Most full size routers come with a 3/8" collet so you'd have to get some kind of adapter collet to use the 1/4" end mill.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's my vote for Stealth Arms. I've built 4 AR 80% lowers and 3 1911's all using their jigs, a drill press and a router.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:08:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I use the Modulous Arms jig also with a Dewalt model 611 router. Both are definitely worth the investment. This jig should work fine with the larger router as well if you can figure out the collet issue or find an end mill in the larger size.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:09:34 AM EDT
[#6]
double post fail
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:21:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Most full size routers come with a 3/8" collet so you'd have to get some kind of adapter collet to use the 1/4" end mill.
View Quote

Actually most full size routers come with a 1/2" as well as a 1/4" collet, many of the cheaper ones come with only a 1/4" collet.  I've not seen a 3/8" collet router in my long carreer as a woodworker.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for the Modulus jig. But then again I may be prejudice because I work for them :)

If you have any questions regarding our jig, I would be more than happy to answer them for you.

HD Jig
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#9]
It is a great hobby, but if you are doing it to save time or money.......don't.
I can have a stripped upper in 15 minutes for about $60
Or
I can use my 500 dollar mini mill with jigs, end mills, tooling, etc. and have a lower a few hours later...If I don't screw it up! :)
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I thought it would kind of be neat to have a couple lowers under the radar...and a hobby thing...but...

Someone mentioned that the standard size router might be too big...do you all concur?

THANKS
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:46:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

THANKS!
View Quote

1) yes, the 80% Arms easy jig. I don't recommend a small trim router for any jig.

2) yes, again I don't recommend the small trim routers

3) see #1
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:19:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Actually most full size routers come with a 1/2" as well as a 1/4" collet, many of the cheaper ones come with only a 1/4" collet.  I've not seen a 3/8" collet router in my long carreer as a woodworker.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Most full size routers come with a 3/8" collet so you'd have to get some kind of adapter collet to use the 1/4" end mill.

I guess my old full size Bosch is a weird one then.  It came with 1/2" and 3/8".  The bits that came with it were all 3/8".

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#14]
+1 on Modulus Arms. With a drill press and laminate router it takes nothing to get a great result.

Quoted:
Have used Modulus Arms with great success.  Well designed, Well built.  Easy to use.  I used a laminate router and it was more than capable.  For me, the hardest part was using a handheld drill (vs. a drill prease/ xyz table).  Wasn't really hard, just slow going.  Good luck.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think a full sized router would be harder to keep square with the top of the jig.

BTW, the reason I'm doing "80%" lowers has nothing to do with flying under the radar or paranoia. I prefer the "clean" look of no markings or logos.
View Quote

I can appreciate that given some of the butt-fugly rollmarks some makers use...  But the reason I like 80% is the satisfaction of DIY plus just because I can.  It is a big FU to the gun controllers.  The fact that they hate that there are "ghosts" out in the wild makes me happy.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:56:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

1) yes, the 80% Arms easy jig. I don't recommend a small trim router for any jig.

3) see #1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THANKS!

3) see #1

What don't you like about small trim routers?  The Makita I've got works great.  I've finished several lowers with it, poly, forged and billet and haven't had a problem.  It is a lot lighter and easier to work with than a full size router.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:54:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What don't you like about small trim routers?  The Makita I've got works great.  I've finished several lowers with it, poly, forged and billet and haven't had a problem.  It is a lot lighter and easier to work with than a full size router.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THANKS!

3) see #1

I've done over a dozen with the easy jig, I used the ridged trim router and the De Walt trim router that all the jig sellers suggest. The depth adjustments on both of those sucked, the motor on the De walt burned up before I could complete one lower. I switched to the large Ridgid that HD sales for 160.00 (1/4" collet and adjustable speed) and went problem free from there.. These things are for cutting wood, why use one with less power when your going to cut aluminum, its doesn't make sense.

Why would you think lighter is better?

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:09:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Bottom line a normal size router will work....correct?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:29:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Bottom line a normal size router will work....correct?
View Quote

Will it work...yes, but it's not ideal for the job and if you ruin your jig I wouldn't expect the manufacturer to warranty it as these jigs were all designed with a trim router in mind.

Kind of how you can drive a nail with a sledgehammer, but a normal claw works a lot better.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:56:41 AM EDT
[#20]
If you are going to use a normal router I suggest mounting it in a router table. That way you hold the jigged lower and move that instead of trying to move a heavy router around.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've done over a dozen with the easy jig, I used the ridged trim router and the De Walt trim router that all the jig sellers suggest. The depth adjustments on both of those sucked...
View Quote

Which Ridgid were you using? What issues were you having with it? I personally use the R24012 and I think that it has one of the best depth controls of any of the routers out there. We (Modulus) have tested many routers and highly recommend the R24012.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:30:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I've completed two lowers with a $35 Ryobi pawnshop router and it helded up enough.   Which ever one you go with get one that has a light. I don't know if most have a light but I found the light helped in my low level light garage.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Which Ridgid were you using? What issues were you having with it? I personally use the R24012 and I think that it has one of the best depth controls of any of the routers out there. We (Modulus) have tested many routers and highly recommend the R24012.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've done over a dozen with the easy jig, I used the ridged trim router and the De Walt trim router that all the jig sellers suggest. The depth adjustments on both of those sucked...

The first router I used was the R2412, the collet kept dropping because the depth adjuster wasn't tight enough. I adjusted that ( adjuster nut on the clamp) but it kept failing. We know the end mill wants to pull everything down when its spinning.

IIRC, I then took it back to HD, got a credit and used that to buy the DeWalt DWP611PK from HD's online store because they don't stock it locally.  I had the same issues with it that I did with the Ridgid, after a couple hrs of using the DW it just froze up, the motor was fried.

I took the DW back to HD and bought the Ridgid R22002, so now I have 1/2 hp more power and a lower range  RPM. The heavier machine is actually easier to control and I have much less chatter.

I wasn't new to power tools but I was new to cutting metal with a tool designed for wood. I'd bet that If you tried it you would agree. then maybe not:)

I'm sure some of the new trim routers are better then some of the full size routers so maybe I'm out of line saying the full size routers are better. I should just stick to my own experience.

I haven't used the Modulus jig so I might be comparing apples to oranges. I also don't plan on using any of them again. I've completed all the lowers I need and passed all the tools to my nephews.

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've done over a dozen with the easy jig, I used the ridged trim router and the De Walt trim router that all the jig sellers suggest. The depth adjustments on both of those sucked, the motor on the De walt burned up before I could complete one lower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I've done over a dozen with the easy jig, I used the ridged trim router and the De Walt trim router that all the jig sellers suggest. The depth adjustments on both of those sucked, the motor on the De walt burned up before I could complete one lower.

I've done a 1/2 dozen lowers with my Makita and the Modulus jigs and it is still going strong.  I have no doubt that my trim router will handle all the rest of the lowers I intend to finish.  I would suspect that your DeWalt was just defective.  You could have just as easily gotten a defective full size router.

I switched to the large Ridgid that HD sales for 160.00 (1/4" collet and adjustable speed) and went problem free from there.. These things are for cutting wood, why use one with less power when your going to cut aluminum, its doesn't make sense.

Normally I'd agree that more power == better...  but the little Makita that I have provides more than enough power.  It has no problem maintaining cutting speed with the 1/4" end mill even in 7075.  6061 billet lowers and poly are real easy.

Why would you think lighter is better?

Easier to handle and control.  The old full size router I have would be a real handful trying to manipulate on top of a jig.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I just finished my second 80% last night with my Dewalt 611 trim router and Modulus Arms jig. I personally have had no issues at all with the Dewalt router and the finish I get is awesome. I love the simplicity of the depth adjustment. It makes these tedious projects move along a little faster. The first one I did I ran the router at a higher speed due to inexperience and it chattered a little causing a slightly rougher finish but it's nothing I'd be embarrassed of. I learned on this second one to run a little slower (#3 on speed adjuster) and generally work slower keeping a firm grasp down low on the router. This gave me fantastic results. Also when drilling the safety selector and trigger/hammer pins I use a small magnetic level on the steel jig side plates to level it before drilling which gave me a super tight fit for said parts when assembled. Patience is key with this, especially when your starting out. Take your time and learn to read your tools and the signs they are giving you.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:50:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I just finished my second 80% last night with my Dewalt 611 trim router and Modulus Arms jig. I personally have had no issues at all with the Dewalt router and the finish I get is awesome. I love the simplicity of the depth adjustment. It makes these tedious projects move along a little faster. The first one I did I ran the router at a higher speed due to inexperience and it chattered a little causing a slightly rougher finish but it's nothing I'd be embarrassed of. I learned on this second one to run a little slower (#3 on speed adjuster) and generally work slower keeping a firm grasp down low on the router. This gave me fantastic results. Also when drilling the safety selector and trigger/hammer pins I use a small magnetic level on the steel jig side plates to level it before drilling which gave me a super tight fit for said parts when assembled. Patience is key with this, especially when your starting out. Take your time and learn to read your tools and the signs they are giving you.
View Quote

Good post Rdot.. Getting the feel is most important.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 2:59:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I can appreciate that given some of the butt-fugly rollmarks some makers use...  But the reason I like 80% is the satisfaction of DIY plus just because I can.  It is a big FU to the gun controllers.  The fact that they hate that there are "ghosts" out in the wild makes me happy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think a full sized router would be harder to keep square with the top of the jig.

BTW, the reason I'm doing "80%" lowers has nothing to do with flying under the radar or paranoia. I prefer the "clean" look of no markings or logos.

I like the clean look of 100% sterile lowers too. I cannot stand most of the gimmicky roll-marks the companies use to stand out. The one I despise the most is the Spike's Tactical "Dueling Dicks" (Spider) I only have three AR's with factory lowers, one is my Truck gun and the other is my bedside HD Rifle and I have a DPMS .308. The rest are completely sterile.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you. It always helps to get little pieces of advice from someone else's learning experience. If I can help one other person to achieve success then I have paid back what y'all have done for me. I purchased my first AR at the end of December and I am now half way through my second build on my first completed 80% receiver. Thank you to everyone on these boards with the intent of helping others.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Snip**

Thank you. It always helps to get little pieces of advice from someone else's learning experience. If I can help one other person to achieve success then I have paid back what y'all have done for me. I purchased my first AR at the end of December and I am now half way through my second build on my first completed 80% receiver. Thank you to everyone on these boards with the intent of helping others.
View Quote

Most of us are here to help and to learn more ourselves.  You should also check your hometown forum.  If you're near the ohio line, hit me up, be more than happy to help.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top