Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:26:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wheres the pics!

with no pics it didn't happen

Its funny how fast the cost adds up. I could have got a whole rifle for the cost of building my 300 blk upper. But then again, buy once, cry once!

I figured once you saw the G3 handguard it would find its way onto the build.
View Quote

I've now got everything except upper and lower. Got optic and remaining parts today. I'll take pics when I've got upper and lower in hand and when we're putting her together.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:02:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm  a little upset with you.....

Now I wanna build something.

Stuped BRD

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:26:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Out of curiosity, how have you been a member here since 2011 with over 8k post, an AR BF on your avatar and you don't own an AR?  This website is called AR15.com after all.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:29:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Out of curiosity, how have you been a member here since 2011 with over 8k post, an AR BF on your avatar and you don't own an AR?  This website is called AR15.com after all.
View Quote

It's a combo of mostly finances and some living in Cook County.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:22:38 AM EDT
[#5]
There's so much non-AR info and entertainment on here, I can see how not everyone would own an AR. I actually attempted to sign up way back in 2004 or 2005 (but didn't have a "pay" email address), when all I owned at the time were a few SKSs and a MAK-90.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm  a little upset with you.....

Now I wanna build something.

Stuped BRD

View Quote

Sorry! :)

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There's so much non-AR info and entertainment on here, I can see how not everyone would own an AR. I actually attempted to sign up way back in 2004 or 2005 (but didn't have a "pay" email address), when all I owned at the time were a few SKSs and a MAK-90.
View Quote

How I found Arfcom is weird. That's a story for another day. But as DM wrote, there's so much more here. I got a ton of pistol info here. Great news source, etc. Heck, I've gotten a customer from Arfcom!

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:20:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Click on "outdoors"
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:33:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Checked with my LGS. Should have upper and lower sometime next week.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Woo hoo! Lower arrived at LGS today. Just waiting for upper to come in. I was pleasantly surprised to find out the 72 hour period has already passed since I paid online and went in last week to do the 4473.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:20:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been waiting anxiously to see build pics!
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've been waiting anxiously to see build pics!
View Quote

Well, you'll have to be satisfied with a pic of parts for the time being!

Just picked up my lower. Couldn't wait for upper to come in.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn, gonna be a sweet first build!
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:06:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Got that lower together yet? (if you do, DO NOT DRY FIRE it.)

Agree with above, going to be very nice.

Have you seen this?
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 1:08:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Got that lower together yet? (if you do, DO NOT DRY FIRE it.)

Agree with above, going to be very nice.

Have you seen this?
View Quote

Nope, nothing put together aside from putting the pistol grip on the lower for the pic. It's going to be assembled all at once and I'm not messing with anything until then.

And yes, I did enter the mag contest already.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#16]
My upper is in. Going to pick it up now!

Now just trying to coordinate schedules with the friend who will be putting it together.

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 1:24:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Should be put together on Saturday so I can shoot it Sunday. :D

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:01:22 PM EDT
[#18]
It's put together. Lovely sight. Just have to get her home and take proper pics.

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 11:19:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:  It's put together. Lovely sight. Just have to get her home and take proper pics.

View Quote

Hurrah!
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 12:36:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Here she is! Very light! The friend who put her together for me as astonished at how light the Faxon barrel is. He really likes her and how she fit together, and said that I had chosen my parts very well. Thanks to everyone here!

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 1:34:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Nice Build OP. Let us know how that Faxon barrel shoots for you. I'm ordering one in the next day or two for my current project. Did you throw it on a scale yet?
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 1:40:05 AM EDT
[#22]
No idea on exact weight.

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 8:46:57 AM EDT
[#23]
That looks really good...I dont know how I missed this topic. Now im going to read it from the start.
Edit, did you get the headspace checked? Like others said I dont think thats necessary because of to quality parts that your using.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 9:10:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That looks really good...I dont know how I missed this topic. Now im going to read it from the start.
View Quote

You'll get to shoot it at the IL HTF shoot!

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 9:18:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Edit, did you get the headspace checked? Like others said I dont think thats necessary because of to quality parts that your using.
View Quote

No, not worrying about it. The guy who put my rifle together has assembled many rifles. He's never had them checked and nothing went kaboom.

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#26]
She shoots! No kaboom! Pics once I get home.

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Awesome....What range did you go to? What ammo did you use? How do you like the Vortex RDS?
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 5:51:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Awesome....What range did you go to? What ammo did you use? How do you like the Vortex RDS?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Range: On Target in Crystal Lake where I've been a member for several years

Ammo: bulk Federal .223 I bought online

Optic: Love it. Just have to get my rifle sighted in properly. I used the same red dot in the carbine class I took.

I shot for about 90 minutes. The range was pretty quiet due to it being Mother's Day. I shot about 150 rounds. It is a new experience for me to be able to shoot and my hands not hurt.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No idea on exact weight.

View Quote

Nicely done!

I did a similar build with Faxon pencil and mine ended up weighing 5lb 11oz with Mbus sights but without a red dot.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 6:12:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Nicely done!

I did a similar build with Faxon pencil and mine ended up weighing 5lb 11oz with Mbus sights but without a red dot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No idea on exact weight.

Nicely done!

The red dot weighs 7.2 oz. I'm guessing total weight is around 6 lbs. It's significant lighter feeling than the rifle I used for the class. I've just been too lazy to look up weights and add everything up.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice build OP.

Love those Faxons. Just finished two builds as well. One is a 14.5 Faxon pin/weld 13" handguard that weighs at 4lbs 10 oz with Aimpoint T2 and the other is the exact same but with a Superlative Arms Retrofit Piston kit, weighing about 5 lbs 4 oz.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 6:57:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I roughly added everything up without weight for flash hider (which I couldn't find), LPK, and stock kit (couldn't find weight)., so it seems to be around 6 lbs or a bit more.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice rifle OP. Well done.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:02:16 AM EDT
[#34]
so how light is it???
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
so how light is it???
View Quote

Very light. See post a few up thread. 6 lbs or a little more.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've just been too lazy to look up weights and add everything up.
View Quote

That's what caused me to buy this scale.

$20 for 0-55lbs in .01oz increments. My wife thinks I'm crazy when I pull out AK mags or pistols or whatever and throw them on the scale.
Also very useful for figuring out where my backpacking weight was coming from.
Honestly I'm a nerd, but I really enjoy playing with it.

Nice looking build BTW.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 5:19:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Damn, Marie, that really did turn out to be a sweet looking build! Congrats!
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 5:23:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Very nice!

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thank you! I'm tickled pink.  A coworker saw pics and now wants to build his own, but he doesn't have nearly the budget I did, so will be really trying to do it on the cheap. I think I'll have about $1200 in it, including bore snake, case, and sling.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

$20 for 0-55lbs in .01oz increments. My wife thinks I'm crazy when I pull out AK mags or pistols or whatever and throw them on the scale.

Nice looking build BTW.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've just been too lazy to look up weights and add everything up.

Nice looking build BTW.

Hmm, not a bad idea.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't put much into advertised weights.

I though about it, but then noticed (from the same vendor) a 16" 5,56 barrel weighed the same as a 14.5" 300blk barrel....How is a shorter barrel, with a larger hole in it, weigh the same? It WONT (same barrel profile)

I though about pulling the upper from the lower, place in a box, tape it up, and have the local post office weigh it, then take the same packaging back and asking them to weigh it again

Just tell them I need the weight to figure shipping cost. Maybe write "Ebay" all over it

Good to see it all put together. Looks great.
I knew once you saw the weight of those handguards, and there small size, you would end up with one.
I already have the same size you picked up sitting in a "Wish list" online with my 6.5 Grendel build (along with a $470 barrel)  kinda why its in a "Wish list" and not a cart.
I would love to pick one up for my 5.56, but being I paid aprox $275 for the quad rail, I hate to pull it off and have a $275 paper weight, that wont go back on a build.

Have you ran out of ammo yet?

I stuck with the rule of only shooting 1/2 of what you buy, and you will end up with a stash in no time
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:23:43 PM EDT
[#42]
No,  I've not run out of ammo...yet. I've got about 1500 rounds. I only shot 150 rounds or so yesterday. I found out that the can of 5.56 I got at Walmart is on stripper clips. Have to strip all the rounds off the clips first. That's a job for doing in front of the TV.

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:25:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
No,  I've not run out of ammo...yet. I've got about 1500 rounds. I only shot 15 rounds or so yesterday. I found out that the can of 5.56 I got at Walmart is on stripper clips. Have to strip all the rounds off the clips first. That's a job for doing in front of the TV.

View Quote

It didn't come with a "spoon"?

With one, you can push them out of stripper, right into the mag.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 7:24:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thank you! I'm tickled pink.  A coworker saw pics and now wants to build his own, but he doesn't have nearly the budget I did, so will be really trying to do it on the cheap. I think I'll have about $1200 in it, including bore snake, case, and sling.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$1200 really ain't bad at all for what you have. And if you had bought a basic AR and then upgraded it with the parts you wanted, you'd have much more into it than $1200. You done good.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:06:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No,  I've not run out of ammo...yet. I've got about 1500 rounds. I only shot 15 rounds or so yesterday. I found out that the can of 5.56 I got at Walmart is on stripper clips. Have to strip all the rounds off the clips first. That's a job for doing in front of the TV.

That must be the metal thingy in the can, then!

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 10:12:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:  Thank you! I'm tickled pink.  A coworker saw pics and now wants to build his own, but he doesn't have nearly the budget I did, so will be really trying to do it on the cheap. I think I'll have about $1200 in it, including bore snake, case, and sling.

View Quote

If he buys carefully, he should be able to get it down to around $400 before sights.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

If he buys carefully, he should be able to get it down to around $400 before sights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Thank you! I'm tickled pink.  A coworker saw pics and now wants to build his own, but he doesn't have nearly the budget I did, so will be really trying to do it on the cheap. I think I'll have about $1200 in it, including bore snake, case, and sling.

I gave him a list of websites to check out for deals
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 10:39:34 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Spoons will work (especially using another mag to push the rounds down) but I love the strip Lula for that.

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oLCRJka3CN0[/youtube]
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 10:55:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Spoons will work (especially using another mag to push the rounds down) but I love the strip Lula for that.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oLCRJka3CN0
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oLCRJka3CN0

I just spent about a half hour in front of the TV last night stripping the rounds off the clips. Ill remember not to buy that ammo again unless I'm desperate.

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:36:04 PM EDT
[#50]
I had issues getting it sighted in (I'm too short to see through red dot when rifle is benched on something (even a sandbag) and I'm sitting down, so the guy who assembled rifle sighted it in for me yesterday. Now I can really enjoy her. Shoots wonderfully well.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top