Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2016 10:35:36 PM EDT
Hey everyone.  I have been building my lower and i'm about to need an upper to finish the build.  I was thinking about getting a pre-built upper but after a bit of looking at a few videos it seems that building the upper isn't any harder then the lower.  I want to try to build my own upper.  I know there will be some investment in tools and I am fine with that.  I think I could build a great shooting up cheaper if I build it myself.  

I am using an Anderson lower and was thinking of using an Anderson upper so the fit is good.  The issue that I run into is one this is my first upper build so I want to do it correctly and make sure nothing gets messed up.  Second is I live in a state where I can't have any threaded barrels so my selection is cut way back from what I have found.  I would like to stay in the 16 to 18 inch barrel.  I had heard that a 1:7 twist was the best to get but I have seen with the bull or heavy barrels it is easier to get a 1:8 or 1:9 twist rate.

Any help with this build info would be great
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:51:50 PM EDT
[#1]
what are you going to be shooting?  1 in 8 will likely do fine for all but the heaviest bullets.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:33:35 AM EDT
[#2]
its going to be an overall rifle.  I will use it for mostly target shooting.  I like the A3 flat top style upper receivers.  Im a bit lost on gas blocks as well.  I want the rifle to function with little to no issues and I know that the gas block helps the rifle function and cycle so I want to get that right as well.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:38:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Can you pin & weld a muzzle device on your barrel in your state?  If so, then you have more barrel options and you should check out the Green Mountain GM-M8 mid length 1:8 twist barrel.  An Anderson striped upper like you suggested is just fine (you will need a forward assist dust cover assembly...check out White Oak Armament to source these)  You mentioned gas block so I assume you are looking to run a free float handrail?  Many options to choose from that come down to cost and your style and they should come with the barrel nut. Then you will just need the gas tube, gas tube pin, and low profile gas block to finish the upper.  BCM low profile gas block works great, but so will any other from the vendors you find on here.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I want to try to build my own upper.  I know there will be some investment in tools and I am fine with that.
View Quote

+1

I'll be following this thread as I'd also like to assemble my first upper.  
However, I think it will be more difficult than the lower - gas block.

Tools?  Can an upper be assembled with a Magpul BEV Block?  This is what I have.

What do we need for this pesky gas block install?  
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

+1

Tools?  Can an upper be assembled with a Magpul BEV Block?  This is what I have.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to try to build my own upper.  I know there will be some investment in tools and I am fine with that.

+1

and armorers wrench. For the gas block you need a roll pin punch. May have to heat it up to get it on and then you just align it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:18:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Can you pin & weld a muzzle device on your barrel in your state?  If so, then you have more barrel options and you should check out the Green Mountain GM-M8 mid length 1:8 twist barrel.  An Anderson striped upper like you suggested is just fine (you will need a forward assist dust cover assembly...check out White Oak Armament to source these)  You mentioned gas block so I assume you are looking to run a free float handrail?  Many options to choose from that come down to cost and your style and they should come with the barrel nut. Then you will just need the gas tube, gas tube pin, and low profile gas block to finish the upper.  BCM low profile gas block works great, but so will any other from the vendors you find on here.
View Quote

Sadly I can't pin the muzzle device unless I pin the magazine, which I wouldn't mind doing but at this point I think a detachable magazine is much better and worth my time.  I have found a few local companies that do make crowned barrels but as for quality that im unsure about.  I was going to buy a threaded barrel and pin a thread protector cap on it but I have to find someone that can pin it for me.  I plan on running an ALG rail so yes a free float rail is what I would be using.  How do I figure out what type of low profile gas block I need or is it adjustable?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top