Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2016 12:13:27 PM EDT
So I've completed my LMOS 3 gun build and I want even more!!!  I'm selling my JP LMOS BC and going with a whiskey arms LBC to even further decrease recoil.  I'm also anal and don't want to ruin my Battle arms LW upper billet receiver... So I'm gonna mad black (better than but similar to micro slick) the whiskey arms Bolt carrier and inside of the upper receiver to prevent wear from aluminum to aluminum contact as well as even more lubrication properties. What do you guys think?  And yes I'm running an adj. gas block, white spring JP SCS, and JP tacticle brake.  It's also super cheap at 105 bucks! Here's a link to the coating

http://madcustomcoating.com/mad-black/
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:58:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I've completed my LMOS 3 gun build and I want even more!!!  I'm selling my JP LMOS BC and going with a whiskey arms LBC to even further decrease recoil.  I'm also anal and don't want to ruin my Battle arms LW upper billet receiver... So I'm gonna mad black (better than but similar to micro slick) the whiskey arms Bolt carrier and inside of the upper receiver to prevent wear from aluminum to aluminum contact as well as even more lubrication properties. What do you guys think?  And yes I'm running an adj. gas block, white spring JP SCS, and JP tacticle brake.  It's also super cheap at 105 bucks! Here's a link to the coating

View Quote

I haven't heard much about MAD Black. However you could always run a regulated carrier by 2A. It uses a combination of steel and aluminum at the end of the carrier to lower weight and prevent wear. You can also control recoil impulse by regulating the gasses. Then MAD Black the inside of the upper/lower.

I wouldn't personally trust an aluminum BCG for my life because they were originally designed to be disposable. But you're doing 3G so I would use to your discretion.

MAD Black has sort of a black chromey look vs flat anodized black. I emailed them a few weeks ago because I was interested in their treatments.

Here's a pic they sent (full mad black):

image upload no size limit
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

A couple of thoughts...

First, compare carrier weights. A J.P. LMOS is already DAMN LIGHT!
Second, if you are going to run an aluminum carrier I would consider using the Hydra Fire cam pin to reduce wear, in addition I would consider using the New Frontier Armory polymer hammer to eliminate the chatter that occurs on the underside of an aluminum carrier from the steel hammer.

There is a member here working diligently on an aluminum carrier that he's hoping will go 10,000 rounds. He's several permiations in, and I have to state he's making outstanding progress. I'm not at liberty to say anything more, but defiantly a better aluminum carrier is in the works.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:05:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I already purchased the whiskey arms LBC and if it last me only 10,000 rounds I'm happy with that for $180.  The $20 coating should make it last even longer.  I am well aware of aluminum carriers and that they are a disposable part.  It's a race gun and the gas is regulated (3 1/2 turns JP low pro adj. gas block).  My main concern is protecting the inside of the receiver.  Good call on the trigger... I'm running a Geissele SD3G trigger.  Should I be fine with that hammer?   Will the coating help protect it?  
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Btw could you guys explain how to quote like you do or send me a link that explains it?   I'm an idiot when it comes to forums and tools
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:17:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Btw could you guys explain how to quote like you do or send me a link that explains it?   I'm an idiot when it comes to forums and tools
View Quote

Just click on the quote button under the post you want to quote.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:31:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha... Said I had to many characters when I tried it last time.  Also can't figure out how to do multiple quotes...thanks btw.  The whiskey arms carrier is 3.4 oz.  so half of JP LMOS.  I know I seem crazy but it's something I have to do lol
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There is a member here working diligently on an aluminum carrier that he's hoping will go 10,000 rounds. He's several permiations in, and I have to state he's making outstanding progress. I'm not at liberty to say anything more, but defiantly a better aluminum carrier is in the works.
View Quote

I'm using one of those, it's a very nice piece.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:52:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How's your upper receiver?   Did you coat it?  How many rounds?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No abnormal wear.  No.  Couple thousand.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's good to hear...I might still get it coated but you have me thinking... Haha. That hydra fire cam looks pretty slick as well.  Also gonna grab a titanium firing pin
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 2:00:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Just shipped my receivers and whiskey arms BC (JP bolt)  to mad custom coatings for the mad black coating and a silver cerakote on the outside.  I'll keep you guys updated on the process and I'll post a review when it comes back.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top