Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2016 3:31:06 PM EDT
I am trying to finish my build and would like some advice on finishing my build..The purpose is shoot  100yrds or less but capable of shooting steel at 300yrds with .223.. Oh my state needs a 16" barrel or more and muzzle brake.. I was looking to get the GM barrel with 1:8 twist and AIM BCG or PSA .. I am not sure on what to get in optics but limit is about $350 or so for barrel ,bcg,and optics and mount , Any suggestion??

What I need
Barrel (midlength gas system )
BCG
Optics

What I already
Anderson Upper & Lower
DPMS Trigger
Hogue grip
Magpul handguard
UTG model 3 stock and tube
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 6:59:12 AM EDT
[#1]
barrel:

check out ballistic advantage or faxon...prolly lookin at $150-200.

BCG:

aim surplus nitride for $89 is GTG....$90

Optics:

check primary arms' brand of red dots, scopes or whatever you want they are pretty cheap and good quality

hopefully this helps you out
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:40:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the GM-M8 mid length barrel..very nice and reasonably priced.  Ballistic Advantage is also a good option ( I have barrels from both vendors).  PSA was having a special on blem BCG's (I think it was $74.99)  I have a few Anderson BCG's that I got from Primary Arms for $85/ea.  They have been working fine.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:00:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the great info

I just found out that I got a utg red dot to use from my man ..  I am not whether to use the utg and upgrade trigger to pof or something similar or use stock trigger and get better optics
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:08:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Does the brake need to be welded in your state?

BTW, that GM-M8 barrel is a great choice.  You won't find a better shooting barrel anywhere near that price.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#6]
RRA has their BCG p/n AR0032AGRP for 87.00.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 6:26:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Well this shit sucks I am waiting on my refund to finish my rifle and will be my first gun on my Firearms ID .. Here is catch,the bone in my lower jaw is almost gone and not much is holding it together.. They saying I shouldn't shoot my AR until I have surgery to fix my jaw(Install membrane and syn bone marrow) and it heals first WTF..

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We'd beg to differ

Let us know if you have any questions. Will be a pleasure to be of service.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 You won't find a better shooting barrel anywhere near that price.

We'd beg to differ

Please explain how one is better than the other??
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#8]
If i were in your shoes, I'd do this

Faxon 16'' Pencil Barrel - $180 shipped - http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XFXB16PM&name=FAXON+FIREARMS+16+IN.+Pencil+.223%2f5.56+4150+QPQ+Nitride+Barrel&groupid=6477
AIM Nitrided BCG - $90 shipped - http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCGN3BDG&name=AIM+AR%2fM16+.223%2f5.56+Nitride+9310+MPI+Bolt+Carrier+Group&groupid=723
TRS-25 - can be found for sub-$60 on Amazon Warehouse deals if you keep an eye out.

OR

Ballistic Advantage 16in, mid-length - $130 -http://www.primaryarms.com/ballistic-advantage-ar-15-556-nato-16-mid-length-barrel-12x28/p/babl556015m/
AIM Nitrided BCG - $90 shipped - http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCGN3BDG&name=AIM+AR%2fM16+.223%2f5.56+Nitride+9310+MPI+Bolt+Carrier+Group&groupid=723
Primary Arms Micro-Dot w/ Full Co-witness Riser - $120

Either one could bust your budget by 10 or 15 bucks (RDS price on option one, shipping on option 2).  You're bascially choosing between a little better barrel on the first choice, and a little better RDS on the second.  I'd go with the better barrel. I've run several TRS 25s, and for the shooting you're describing they'll work fine.   No prob with the folks suggesting PSA for a BCG, but i like AIM's fast (and free) shipping so they're my preference over PSA.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:01:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If i were in your shoes, I'd do this

Faxon 16'' Pencil Barrel - $180 shipped - http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XFXB16PM&name=FAXON+FIREARMS+16+IN.+Pencil+.223%2f5.56+4150+QPQ+Nitride+Barrel&groupid=6477
TRS-25 - can be found for sub-$60 on Amazon Warehouse deals if you keep an eye out.

OR

Ballistic Advantage 16in, mid-length - $130 -http://www.primaryarms.com/ballistic-advantage-ar-15-556-nato-16-mid-length-barrel-12x28/p/babl556015m/
Primary Arms Micro-Dot w/ Full Co-witness Riser - $120

Either one could bust your budget by 10 or 15 bucks (RDS price on option one, shipping on option 2).  You're bascially choosing between a little better barrel on the first choice, and a little better RDS on the second.  I'd go with the better barrel. I've run several TRS 25s, and for the shooting you're describing they'll work fine.   No prob with the folks suggesting PSA for a BCG, but i like AIM's fast (and free) shipping so they're my preference over PSA.

View Quote

My max spent is really only a guide line than anything
Here is what I was thinki
16" Gov't / Socom, 5.56 NATO, Mid-Length, 4150 QPQ-http://faxonfirearms.com/16-govt-socom-5-56-nato-mid-length-4150-qpq/
Or
GM-M8 16" Mid Length gas system 5.56 NATO-http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m8-16-mid-length-gas-system-5-56-nato/
AIM
Nitride BCG
or
Boron BCG
Bushnell AR 1-4 24mm(
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well this shit sucks I am waiting on my refund to finish my rifle and will be my first gun on my Firearms ID .. Here is catch,the bone in my lower jaw is almost gone and not much is holding it together.. They saying I shouldn't shoot my AR until I have surgery to fix my jaw(Install membrane and syn bone marrow) and it heals first WTF..

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

We'd beg to differ

I prefer a chrome lined barrel on my high use rifles, at least until there is a definitive comparison between chrome and melonite (which I also like), and the GM barrel is a mid weight which provides a stiffer barrel than a light or pencil profile can...less POI shift at high temps than a lighter profile.

If its not that important to you then get a lighter barrel.

Faxon and Ballistic Advantage make great products,  I just prefer the medium profile and chrome lined GM...or a Spikes "Optimal Profile" if you can find a deal on one, but they are a bit pricier than the others.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I prefer a chrome lined barrel on my high use rifles, at least until there is a definitive comparison between chrome and melonite (which I also like), and the GM barrel is a mid weight which provides a stiffer barrel than a light or pencil profile can...less POI shift at high temps than a lighter profile.

Faxon and Ballistic Advantage make great products,  I just prefer the medium profile and chrome lined GM...or a Spikes "Optimal Profile" if you can find a deal on one, but they are a bit pricier than the others.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

We'd beg to differ

I really liked the med profile and chrome lined and seems the best quality for money.. I could use a pencial barrel cause I shoot a couple and then change shooters..
Is there any real difference between the boron or nitrided coating ?? Otherwise I was looking to get the Aim evo3 bcg if they come avaible again..
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Well I went threw something and found I was missing a couple things.. I am trying to spend  about $600 max and right now I have no extra parts  .. Would it even be possible to finish the build with that kind of budget with shipping included  ??Also the parts listed below are my suggestions and can be changed..

What is left
Barrel-Gm 16" mid 1:8 twist
BCG-Aim or PSA
Stock kit -I can get UTG PRO Model 3 for $60 shipped but is there a cheaper and better option ?
Ammo-Was looking at Freedom Ammo
Mags-
Case-
Optics w/mount-Bushnell 1-4 24mm Cheaper version and not sure on mount
Trigger-Purchased-RISE ARMAMENT DROP IN TRIGGER 3.5LB SPORT RA140SST $99 shipped
Extra parts-

Sorry i don't mean to be a pain..

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:29:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Updated trigger to RIse Armament sport trigger sale ..
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I really liked the med profile and chrome lined and seems the best quality for money.. I could use a pencial barrel cause I shoot a couple and then change shooters..
Is there any real difference between the boron or nitrided coating ?? Otherwise I was looking to get the Aim evo3 bcg if they come avaible again..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

We'd beg to differ

Boron (nickle boron) is an actual coating that can, in some rare cases, flake off...whereas nitride (melonite, etc) is a chemical treatment that does not add to the dimensions or have the ability to flake off.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Thanks for the great info and will stick with Nitride and now to find the rest of the parts on the list..
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Build Update
Any suggestions would be great Thanks  

Barrel-Not sure on barrel cause GM is still not in stock and might have to get something else
BCG-(Ordered) PSA Blem Prem BCG
Stock kit -(Ordered) Magpul MOE stock kit from PSA
Ammo-Was looking at Freedom Ammo
Mags-(Ordered) D&H 10 round mags with yellow followers
Case-
Optics and mount  (Got & Ordered) I picked Millet Tactical rings and ordered Bushnell 1-4 24mm scope for $113 shipped
Trigger-Purchased-RISE ARMAMENT DROP IN TRIGGER 3.5LB SPORT RA140SST $99 shipped
Extra parts-(Ordered)PSA BCG rebuild kit
Still working on what extra parts I need to get

Oh has anyone bought or used the Rise Armament Sport trigger cause I picked one up from Jse Surplus and the reviews are bad and I am trying to figured if I got screwed and order something else or see what I got???
http://www.jsesurplus.com/RISEARMAMENTDROPINTRIGGER3.5LBSPORTRA140SST-1.aspx
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If we may be so bold, we do have our 16" mids in-stock.

View Quote

What kind of life span do you expect from that barrel and what kind of Warranty??
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Does anyone have any other suggestions for barrels in 16" mid length and 1:8 or 1:9 twist for about $150 and are in stock or should wait for the GM m8 barrel ??
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 1:51:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Seriously consider the Faxon.  Great barrel and great customer service.  Cant go wrong.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top