Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2016 2:17:38 AM EDT
New to forum and AR's in general. Heard so much good about PSA that I jumped on the 16" Premium MOE rifle kit which arrived yesterday.
I started assembly tonight, excited by the prospect of sighting the weapon in tomorrow morning but almost immediately ran into an issue with a missing bolt catch buffer. Well, alright I'll move on to the safety only to find the pistol grip lock washer is also missing. I fired off a polite email to PSA asking if they could toss these parts into the 16" SS MOE kit I had just ordered for a friend last night, on the chance it hasn't yet shipped. Hopefully that kit will have all of the parts included.
I'm not going to let this ruin the experience, I'm sure PSA will get me the parts. Shit happens. they just need to maybe implement a checklist or something.

I guess my question is are there any easy to find substitutions for these parts? I'm sure I can find that type of lock washer in my junk drawer but the buffer isn't something I have laying around...
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 7:39:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Both are non-essential items. Your AR will fire without them and they can be installed later when PSA delivers. You won't get a BHO on an empty mag but as long as you are aware of it, no big deal. If your grip screw bottoms out before it tightens (it shouldn't but it might), you may have to find a local substitute. Any old 1/4" tooth washer will work of the external or internal tooth flavor. I've seen both kinds in LPK's. A standard flat or lock washer will do the trick, too.
I don't know of a substitute or hack for a missing bolt catch plunger.
I've ordered many LPK's from PSA and have never had even one part missing. I don't why it is hit and miss with them. I guess it depends who is working QC that day.

Suggestion: It will cost you about $50 to $70 to get one home- but in my opinion, anybody that tinkers with AR's should have a spare LPK in the cabinet for situations such as this.

It will cover you if have parts missing from another kit, if you loose a part during assembly, or if something breaks in your lower during operation.
If you don't want to buy a complete LPK you can always get one of these: (no FCG) http://www.midwayusa.com/product/862947/ar-stoner-customizable-lower-receiver-parts-kit-ar-15
Or cheaper yet- this "oops" kit- http://www.midwayusa.com/product/949287/cmmg-ar-15-lower-pin-and-spring-kit
If you don't want to fire your rifle without the bolt catch and are unsure when PSA will deliver, you can order one of these kits. Midway usually ships same or next day on in stock items and their shipping is only $5 for standard mail. $5 more for the UPS upgrade and you'll probably have your stuff by Wed. of next week depending on what state you live in. Midway is in Missouri. If you want to make your shipping worth it, just buy something else. I just picked up this single point sling from them and I am totally impressed with it. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/213539/midwayusa-tactical-single-point-sling
'just looking for a quick fix for you.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for PSA to ship out the missing parts.

Go to the hardware store and pick up a washer for the pistol grip. Order the bolt catch parts from any of the other vendors located at the top or bottom of this page.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#3]
You might want to call them. You'll probably get faster replacements that way.

I built my first AR in December from a PSA kit and it had a trigger spring missing. I called them and got right though to someone. They were adamant that they needed the "inspected by" number, but fortunately I hadn't thrown away any of the bags and was able to get it to them.

I got my new spring in about a week. I wish it hadn't been missing to begin with, and I wish they'd shipped the replacement a bit faster -- but at the end of the day I got a high quality rifle that I'm having a lot of fun with.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:47:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I have had missing items in LPK from them as well. It's frustrating. I usually just order the missing odds and ends on ebay, probably quicker than dealing with PSA, but that's just my decision, YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I've emailed psa about missing part and  within a few day a box will arrive with said missing parts !!!! Psa is awsome !! be polite ask nicely give order # and contact info and they will take care of you
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
New to forum and AR's in general. Heard so much good about PSA that I jumped on the 16" Premium MOE rifle kit which arrived yesterday.
I started assembly tonight, excited by the prospect of sighting the weapon in tomorrow morning but almost immediately ran into an issue with a missing bolt catch buffer. Well, alright I'll move on to the safety only to find the pistol grip lock washer is also missing. I fired off a polite email to PSA asking if they could toss these parts into the 16" SS MOE kit I had just ordered for a friend last night, on the chance it hasn't yet shipped. Hopefully that kit will have all of the parts included.
I'm not going to let this ruin the experience, I'm sure PSA will get me the parts. Shit happens. they just need to maybe implement a checklist or something.

I guess my question is are there any easy to find substitutions for these parts? I'm sure I can find that type of lock washer in my junk drawer but the buffer isn't something I have laying around...
View Quote

The MOE grip DOES NOT use a washer.  PSA did nothing wrong.

Magpul uses a screw with locktite on it.  I always clean a little of the locktite off before installation.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#7]
This forum is great. Thanks to all who replied and alpharomeofifteen for the great info. I should definitely have a spare LPK just in case and that will be my next purchase.

UncleGAK - Looks like you are correct. My screw has lock-tight, the build video I was watching must have added the lock washer without mentioning it. The lower receiver assembly guide here shows the washer as well. Maybe for the A2 grip.  So I just need the buffer now.

Edit: grip works fine without the washer so I amended the thread title.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:44:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Just to update this thread: Monday I had called assuming they get a ton of email, talked to a guy who said no problem I'll get that right out. Cool, just to be safe I ordered an oops-kit from Joe-Bob's. I received the pins/springs from Joe-Bob on Thursday and finished the assembly no problem. Today I get the envelope from PSA with a Buffer Retainer. Yes, the wrong part. Do I bother calling again or just move on? I'm thinking move on. Not a huge deal but not really impressed either. Next time will be BCM.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top