Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2015 9:51:43 AM EDT
Never built before but PSA had that little ad at the bottom of the page here on arf. Couldn't resist so I ordered one, $129
Obviously, I'm trying to keep my costs down and would like to get a build done for "around" $400/450.... if that's possible
I have really no idea where to begin though

I'll worry about uppers, etc. as money allows, however for now, I've been looking at an AIM Nitride 5.56/.223 9310 MPI BCG for $89.95
Unless I'm told different, I may pull the trigger on that soon (right?)

Anyway, I'll probably be posting asking for help here and there

Thanks for any insight
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Just mentioning this as I have three, but I really like the Anderson BCG, last one I purchased from Right to Bear arms (in the industry section) was 83.00.  All three of mine have run like butter.  I have one of the PSA premiums, purchased for 80 bucks, and I'm just not sold on it.  Only mentioning this in case you wanted to keep cost to a minimum and still get a reliable product
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:57:18 AM EDT
[#2]
As far as that goes, I have used two Anderson uppers, 40 bucks each, both have fit as they should.  I haven't used any economy barrels, cheapest being a FAXON, it is imo an excellent barrel, but at ~160.00, probably not what you are looking for on a budget build.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#3]
The AIM Nitride BCG is very good.  I have a couple of them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Never built before but PSA had that little ad at the bottom of the page here on arf. Couldn't resist so I ordered one, $129
Obviously, I'm trying to keep my costs down and would like to get a build done for "around" $400/450.... if that's possible
I have really no idea where to begin though

I'll worry about uppers, etc. as money allows, however for now, I've been looking at an AIM Nitride 5.56/.223 9310 MPI BCG for $89.95
Unless I'm told different, I may pull the trigger on that soon (right?)

Anyway, I'll probably be posting asking for help here and there

Thanks for any insight
View Quote

$129 for a blem are you sure should be $49.00  http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/10445/category/4282/

I have been using a AIM BCG for years and have not had any problems. I also own several Colts and not had any problems either.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a complete blem lower
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/14434/category/4282/

I think I'll go ahead and order the AIM nitride BCG then study up on exactly how I want to proceed with the upper (will look at Anderson, thanks)
I guess, baby steps for now
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I got one of the PSA ''blemed'' complete lowers for $129 shipped a few weeks ago. Several of us looked it over very carefully and finally decided that a small ''knick'' on the mag well  was the ''blem''. Made me no nevermind, as I had a PSA S.S. upper to install on it. Looked great for the money.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:15:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd go for the aim nitride bcg for an extra 7 dollars over the Anderson bcg.

If you're looking to keep costs down consider buying a barreled upper that way you don't have to buy tools. Anyhow, PSA has some really great options.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:54:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got one of the PSA ''blemed'' complete lowers for $129 shipped a few weeks ago. Several of us looked it over very carefully and finally decided that a small ''knick'' on the mag well  was the ''blem''. Made me no nevermind, as I had a PSA S.S. upper to install on it. Looked great for the money.
View Quote

That's good to know. I'll be expecting a nick or a scuff, of course. They test them and they function so I guess that's all that really matters
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:22:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd go for the aim nitride bcg for an extra 7 dollars over the Anderson bcg.

If you're looking to keep costs down consider buying a barreled upper that way you don't have to buy tools. Anyhow, PSA has some really great options.
View Quote

I went ahead and ordered the AIM nitride BCG. Can't wait!

Yes, I've been perusing PSA's barreled uppers. And will most likely go that route. Maybe Santa will be good to me this year!
(Too bad for me that the .25-45 Sharps barrels/barreled uppers are so expensive as I've become really intrigued with this caliber. Better stick with the .223/5.56 for now though)
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:18:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I would wait for the PSA C158 BCG to come back in stock, it's a better deal at $80.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:27:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would wait for the PSA C158 BCG to come back in stock, it's a better deal at $80.
View Quote

Too late, AIM bcg on it's way!

I don't know what the PSA is but what piqued my interest on the AIM was that it is an AR-M16 BCG

Auto or not, I'm sure as long as it's a quality BCG it probably won't matter but I'll  be using this firearm mainly in slidefire mode

eta - ooh, I see that PSA C158 BCG is auto and chromed. Oh well......
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:49:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Just dodged a potential shipping nightmare with PSA........

The FFL I used in the past recently passed away so I chose a FFL pawn broker listed on PSA's website in my radius when I ordered the lower

Tried calling the pawn shop to give them a heads up and they've closed shop!

Quick call to PSA and they haven't shipped it yet, chose another FFL I know are still open ....... phew!
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Welp, went  a little over my mark of $450 - $530ish

Ordered the PSA 16" M4 Premium barreled upper
Probably should have waited for Black Friday but I'm impatient and they had free shipping on it, sooo.......

I have a cheap Bushnell scope I'll put on top until funds arrive
May go retro and get a carry handle

I realize that it's not really a build like most of you guys here do but just wanted to post for those that are on the fence about it that for a tad more than $500 I'll have one darn nice rifle

I couldn't imagine what I would have saved if I would have done a "true" build. I bet a bunch more!

edited for arithmetic
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#14]
For the wife I just put together a PSA blem lower w/their premium pencil-bbl middy upper then used an AIM V2 nitride bcg.
Only 80rds fired so far, but it's been 100% and handles like a dream!
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
For the wife I just put together a PSA blem lower w/their premium pencil-bbl middy upper then used an AIM V2 nitride bcg.
Only 80rds fired so far, but it's been 100% and handles like a dream!
Tomac
View Quote

Awesome!

Haven't shipped my lower yet, unfortunately. Gonna be a long wait
I have however, loaded 3 mags today in anticipation
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 10:27:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don't know what the PSA is but what piqued my interest on the AIM was that it is an AR-M16 BCG

Auto or not, I'm sure as long as it's a quality BCG it probably won't matter but I'll  be using this firearm mainly in slidefire mode

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have 3 of the AIM nitride BCGs and IMO they are the best value going. I am not much on the fancy boy coatings and such but the nitride BCG is well worth the extra couple bucks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have 3 of the AIM nitride BCGs and IMO they are the best value going. I am not much on the fancy boy coatings and such but the nitride BCG is well worth the extra couple bucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know! Thanks
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#18]
You need a more exciting life if a "wild hair" is ordering a lower
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

We're on a gun board and you don't think ordering a lower isn't exciting?!
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Thats a good deal on the PSA complete lower.  I can buy Anderson receivers from a dealer at our local show for $53.  I cant order one and pay the shipping and ffl fee for that price.

A friend of mine has a couple of the PSA blem lowers and I honestly think they just throw that blem thing on there to move some stock and control some of the market.

The same goes with Spikes. I bought two of those from AIM  a few years ago and cant see anything wrong with them.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 3:48:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Just mentioning, for a cheap build Midway has the AR stoner upper, complete with BCG for 299.99.  Has FSP, but no rear sight.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Just mentioning, for a cheap build Midway has the AR stoner upper, complete with BCG for 299.99.  Has FSP, but no rear sight.
View Quote

I actually seen that earlier today.

Also keep an eye out for blem premium lowers.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 4:10:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thats a good deal on the PSA complete lower.  I can buy Anderson receivers from a dealer at our local show for $53.  I cant order one and pay the shipping and ffl fee for that price.

A friend of mine has a couple of the PSA blem lowers and I honestly think they just throw that blem thing on there to move some stock and control some of the market.

The same goes with Spikes. I bought two of those from AIM  a few years ago and cant see anything wrong with them.
View Quote

A friend and I both bought PSA "blem" complete lowers last holiday season. I think you're right, as we couldn't find anything "blemished" on either one, they looked great and we had no issues with them. The only complaint we had was the insanely long wait before they were shipped out. He bought a "blem" upper and couldn't find anything wrong with it either. It was $20 cheaper so he went with it, hoping it would be as nice as the lower was, and he was right.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Ok - Got all of it and put together

Some handloads and some factory loads would stick sideways or stick in chamber when charging by hand

Had to "mortar" some that would stick to get them free

Went ahead and fired 20 rds each of factory and handloads
They all functioned perfectly with no stuck cases or ftf

I'm afraid to try and cycle any by hand now

Link Posted: 10/27/2015 2:43:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Some handloads and some factory loads would stick sideways or stick in chamber when charging by hand

View Quote

Did you clean the chamber?
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Initially when I first got it together and tried *cycling by hand* a few handloads, no

I then took a chamber brush and ran it over with that many times but still had trouble with the stuck cases
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 2:58:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Initially when I first got it together and tried *cycling by hand* a few handloads, no

I then took a chamber brush and ran it over with that many times but still had trouble with the stuck cases
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Handloads?

How does factory ammo do?
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 3:07:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Handloads?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Handloads?

At first, 20 rds of the factory stuff cycled by hand just fine (maybe a little sticky)
Tried them again later just to be sure (same rds) and two out of the twenty stuck... bad

I re-measured my handloads and all the dimensions fall within the published Lyman49 specs
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#30]
If it fires fine, try a few rounds and then see how handcycleing does. Probably a chamber on the tight side.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#31]
A knowledgeable member here suggested it may just needs a little broken in first if it cycles when shooting

Lets hope!
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks beavo
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#33]
When you cycle by hand pull the CH all the way back and let it go. Do not ride the CH forward. Also keep her well lubed with CLP, especially for the first 200 rds.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
When you cycle by hand pull the CH all the way back and let it go. Do not ride the CH forward. Also keep her well lubed with CLP, especially for the first 200 rds.
View Quote

Thanks for the reminders!
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 9:46:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
<SNIP>

I couldn't imagine what I would have saved if I would have done a "true" build. I bet a bunch more!

edited for arithmetic
View Quote

You'd be wrong... unless you spent the time to wait for each and every individual part to pop up on sale with free shipping.

PSA had complete PTAC M-4gery kits for $360.00 not too long ago + pair that with a $50-$60 lower and you're right

around $420.00 for a complete rifle w/o rear sight.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 10:40:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Edit:  didn't see second page.  Advice already given.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 10:54:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You'd be wrong... unless you spent the time to wait for each and every individual part to pop up on sale with free shipping.

PSA had complete PTAC M-4gery kits for $360.00 not too long ago + pair that with a $50-$60 lower and you're right

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<SNIP>

edited for arithmetic

I think I did ok
Midway now has the Bushmaster M4 upper (with carry handle) on sale for $399
So the free shipping on a PSA Premium barreled upper for $279 is what sold me to go ahead and get this thing done and not wait for Black Friday
(which I may or may not have gotten quite as good a deal anyway)
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's routine. Like submitting NFA stamps. Keep em rolling and you don't get antsy, or excited
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 11:26:00 PM EDT
[#39]
After 60 more rounds of brass factory ammo and reloads it's hand cycling and running like a top!

Put an unblemished $58 (?) PSA carry handle on it and brought the price up, but still.....
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top