Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2015 11:20:35 PM EDT
Lets Make a Complete List of the required Roll Pins for the AR15 Platform.

Bolt Catch Retaining Roll Pin: 3/32" Diameter x 1/2" Length (McMaster-Carr Part Number: 91598A204 Coiled & 98296A841 Split)
Trigger Guard Retaining Roll Pin: 1/8" Diameter x 5/8" Length (McMaster-Carr Part Number: 91598A253 Coiled & 98296A879 Split)
Forward Assist Retaining Roll Pin: 3/32" Diameter x 5/8" Length (McMaster-Carr Part Number: 91598A206 Coiled & 98296A849 Split )
Ejector Retaining Roll Pin: 1/16" Diameter x 7/16" Length (McMaster-Carr Part Number: N/A Coiled & 98296A025 Split)
Gas Tube Retaining Roll Pin: 5/64" Diameter x 5/16" Length (McMaster-Carr Part Number: 91598A632 Coiled & 98296A122 Split)

Please post whatever I forgot and I will add it to the list along with the McMaster-Carr Part numbers for COILED AND SPLIT type roll pins.

The more and more research I do, I find that the Split type pins are actually stronger than the Coiled type in these smaller sizes. So for parts that will most likely experience some type of force against them I would recommend the SPLIT type.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:43:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

A1 Rear Sight Wheel Retaining Pin.................1/16x1/4
Trigger Guard Detent Pin................................1/16x1/4
Forward Assist Pawl Pin(new round)..............1/16x1/4
Forward Assist Pawl Pin(Old teardrop)...........1/16x5/16
Gas Tube Pin...................................................5/64x5/16
Charging Handle Latch pin..............................5/64x5/16
Bolt Catch Retaining Pin..................................3/32x1/2
Forward Assist Pawl Pin.................................3/32x1/2
Forward Assist Retaining Pin..........................3/32x5/8
Type D Stock Swivel Retaining Pin.................1/8x7/16
Front Sling Swivel Pin......................................1/8x1/2
Trigger Guard Pivot Pin...................................1/8x5/8
Rifle Buffer Pad Retaining Pin..........................1/8x3/4
Type D Stock Swivel Bracket Retaining Pin....1/8x7/8

With kudos to brother sergtjim
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:21:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Just get these roll pins from Rock River Arms.

They use coiled roll pins and they make assembling a lower really easy.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Rock River uses the coiled roll pins, I did not know that?

There is a guy on Ebay that sells stainless coiled roll pins very cheap.  I bought quite a few of each size (he stocks every roll pin on an AR).  He only sells them in qtys of 4, 6 or 12 depending on the pin you want but they are still cheap and great quality.  They only issue I see that some might have is that they are stainless and not black but you are only going to see the ends of them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:08:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

There is a guy on Ebay that sells stainless coiled roll pins very cheap.  I bought quite a few of each size (he stocks every roll pin on an AR).  He only sells them in qtys of 4, 6 or 12 depending on the pin you want but they are still cheap and great quality.  They only issue I see that some might have is that they are stainless and not black but you are only going to see the ends of them.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have bought pins from him as well and they work great. A drop of CLP on them and they go right in. I love his ejector retainer pins. Much easier to remove/install than standard split pins.

I know we are not allowed to post links to auctions so I won't. His username on ebay is "wciguy".

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I am getting coiled pins.

I am ordering them from McMaster-Carr. They are $10.00 for a bag of 100.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have bought pins from him as well and they work great. A drop of CLP on them and they go right in. I love his ejector retainer pins. Much easier to remove/install than standard split pins.
I know we are not allowed to post links to auctions so I won't. His username on ebay is "wciguy".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What size are the ejector roll pins?!

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1/16" by 7/16"
Unfortunately McMaster-Carr does not have these. They can't even special order them (I already checked) which is rare because they can usually special order almost anything.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
1/16" by 7/16"Unfortunately McMaster-Carr does not have these. They can't even special order them (I already checked) which is rare because they can usually special order almost anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1/16" by 7/16"Unfortunately McMaster-Carr does not have these. They can't even special order them (I already checked) which is rare because they can usually special order almost anything.

Couldn't you just snip a tad off a 1/2"?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#9]
The more research I do I find out that the Split pin is far stronger than the coiled pin in these small sizes.

I know for a fact when you get up into larger sizes the coiled is much stronger. However, according to the breaking strength on McMaster-Carr the smaller pins are stronger when they are split.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The more research I do I find out that the Split pin is far stronger than the coiled pin in these small sizes.

I know for a fact when you get up into larger sizes the coiled is much stronger. However, according to the breaking strength on McMaster-Carr the smaller pins are stronger when they are split.
View Quote

You're never going to break a bolt catch or trigger guard roll pin once it's installed.  I doubt any more f the other roll pins would break once installed.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:05:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You're never going to break a bolt catch or trigger guard roll pin once it's installed.  I doubt any more f the other roll pins would break once installed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.

However, I feel that the ejector roll pin and the gas tube roll pin would probably be best off being of the toughest you can get.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:12:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I agree.

However, I feel that the ejector roll pin and the gas tube roll pin would probably be best off being of the toughest you can get.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.

If that is the case and you are worried about breakage, you should hammer a solid dowel pin in both.  That should ease any concerns over either of those pins breaking.  I wonder if in the entire existence of AR's, a roll pin has ever broken while installed.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Coiled pins are easier to install (unless you go to the trouble of getting roll pin starter punches AND roll pin punches), but that's the only big deal I can see with them.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top