Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2015 8:50:27 PM EDT
I'm in the middle of my first AR build. I've seen all kinds of different installs on the Youtube. I'm curious as to what y'all do.
Is there a one-lube-fits-all? What type of lubrication do you use for specific areas? Where do you apply lubrication during your build? Is there already a post on this and I just haven't found it ?
Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Stihl Ultra Synthetic two-stroke oil.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:58:44 PM EDT
[#2]
This is a good LINK, A drop of oil on the roll pins helps and I used the Aeroshell 33ms grease on the barrel nut but I believe any moly grease would work. There are all differt kinds of lubes and opinions vary widely but I use CLP.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:59:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Grease on the bolt and bolt carrier thinly applied with fingers. Grease on the sears of the trigger. Sparing drop of oil on the takedown pins and the selector bearing areas as needed. I use eds red to clean the barrel and bolt before lubing the bolt. You might want to make a silicone impregnated cloth to wipe the exterior down.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:12:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Grease on the bolt and bolt carrier thinly applied with fingers. Grease on the sears of the trigger. Sparing drop of oil on the takedown pins and the selector bearing areas as needed. I use eds red to clean the barrel and bolt before lubing the bolt. You might want to make a silicone impregnated cloth to wipe the exterior down.
View Quote

This is exactly what I do (minus the eds red). I use to be a Mobile 1 oil guy (still use it on occasion), but got tired of the mess (it runs everywhere). So far grease has been working fine (and stays put). YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:26:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I use synthetic wheel bearing grease on the interior buffer tube for spring to keep lubricated. Other than that, I use synthetic Mobil1 oil, I have around after changing oil in vehicles. The synthetic oils don't burn off like regular oils can and I always have a good supply of it around the farm for many things besides my guns.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:51:34 AM EDT
[#6]
CLP - over 20 years of consistent results...  I use synth grease on the buffer spring too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I use Aeroshell on the barrel nut and muzzle device.  

For the other build parts I use high temp wheel bearing grease, sparingly.   I just happen to have a can of it, I would just use CLP otherwise.  

After it's built, for the bolt carrier group and such, CLP or any of the newer wonder-products. ETA-Mobil 1 is very popular
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll have to go back and put some drops/light coats on the moving parts that I missed (Thanks for the link). I should have a bottle of CLP laying around. I'll start with that and go from there. I haven't fired any rounds through it yet, still building, but wanted to be sure to cover all my bases before.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top