Posted: 8/28/2015 4:08:58 PM EDT
KAK Industry Contract Overrun Barrel Blowout

Just saw this on ar15news.com.

8.5 300 BLK PISTOL 1:8  –  $100
10.5 300 BLK PISTOL 1:8  –  $100
16.0 300 BLK PISTOL 1:8  –  $100
11.0 5.56 NATO CARBINE 1:9  –  $100
16.0 5.56 NATO CARBINE 1:7  –  $110

I really want to buy a 8.5" and I even have a lower set aside for a 300BO SBR, I already have a couple other builds prioritized though. Anyway, just an FYI on a good deal.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one of the 8.5 from a previous run.  awesome barrel that runs perfect with supers and subs using a gemtech quicksand...

the 16 inch 1:7 in 41v50 would be a must have out of this group although the 16 inch pistol blackout is a very interesting combo for keeping things super quiet
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:04:51 PM EDT
[#2]
What's their shipping like?  Those prices make me want to build another upper REALLY badly!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I just recived my 9.5 300 blk barrel from them, receI've 2 days after I ordered.  Way to early to cmoment on quality other than it looks good.  I'm still collecting all my parts for my build.

ETA: 8.5"
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:02:50 PM EDT
[#4]
yes mine got here pretty quick, the shipping from them is a flat 6.50 for your whole order
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:20:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Geez, so an 8.5" would only be $106.50 total. Man, I might have to get one, pack it in grease and store it until I'm ready to build my sbr. Crap! There's other stuff I want to buy!
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I foed. I never wanted a 300 but I've been debating building my wife one for home defense and I took this as a sign from the gun gods.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Eh... let me know when that 8 inch .458 socom barrel is on sale.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:39:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Bought an 8.5 yesterday, barrel, gas block and pistol tube with shipping was $144 and change.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Aww wish they had the 8" 300BLK barrel great prices though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bought an 8.5 yesterday, barrel, gas block and pistol tube with shipping was $144 and change.
View Quote

Their mobile site sucks. It took me forever to find the gas tube and if I didn't have to scroll through everything, I would have got the gas block as well.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:24:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Wish they ad a 6" barrel!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I ordered one yesterday, then thought "hey, there's nothing on that page about whether they have M4 ramps or not!"  That makes a difference when it comes to what upper to use...  I used the site's "contact us" link and they got back to me in minutes.  "All we use is M4 barrel extensions."  I'm a happy camper now, and will be happier when the barrel arrives.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:49:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I ordered one yesterday, then thought "hey, there's nothing on that page about whether they have M4 ramps or not!"  That makes a difference when it comes to what upper to use...  I used the site's "contact us" link and they got back to me in minutes.  "All we use is M4 barrel extensions."  I'm a happy camper now, and will be happier when the barrel arrives.
View Quote

Good to know, that is what was holding me off from a 10.5" 300 BO barrel.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Barrels are good to go. My 8.5'' 300BLK runs like a top with subs and supers (without can)
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:32:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I emailed them last night about the difference between the regular and overruns and they got back to me that night.  Ordered up right after that for the over run, will try a clamp type adj block or maybe off to ADCO for a dimple.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Yep. Biggest thing holding me back right now is worry about having to dimple the barrel. I'd like to just do it myself so I don't have to mess with shipping it off and waiting before getting it returned, but at the same time I am apprehensive about trying to drill into a barrel.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:19:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I got my 8.5 in the mail today. Looks good and now just need the rest of the parts.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:38:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I have an 8.5 on my pistol build runs 220 subs great without a can
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:41:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yep. Biggest thing holding me back right now is worry about having to dimple the barrel. I'd like to just do it myself so I don't have to mess with shipping it off and waiting before getting it returned, but at the same time I am apprehensive about trying to drill into a barrel.
View Quote

You really don't need to dimple the barrel. A lot of set screws will cut into the metal and make their own "dimples".

Today as a test (not really, I just completely forgot to remove the set screws) I took a hammer to a tight gas block to remove it. It didn't budge at all. The set screws held up to the hammer beating on it. Most low profile gas blocks go under the handguard, where nothing will ever hit them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:05:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I emailed them last night about the difference between the regular and overruns and they got back to me that night.  Ordered up right after that for the over run, will try a clamp type adj block or maybe off to ADCO for a dimple.
View Quote

Can you expand on the differences?

I have the YHM clamp block and it works great. Decent price too.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:46:57 PM EDT
[#21]
My 16" barrel came in today and it looks great.  Here are some specs:

Contour: 0.725" from muzzle to gas block journal, 0.750 gas block journal just over 1" long, with a distinct shoulder (relieved between journal and shoulder)

Gas port 0.125±

Passes GO and NO GO gage tests (PTG's gages) with a standard CM bolt.

Overall the barrel is clean, no visible burs or other cosmetic issues.  The barrel is uniformly black with what I'd call "lathe" finish (i.e. tiny grooves versus high polish).

Now, I need to get an upper, a gas block, and a BCG, and I'm set!  
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Use coupon code LABOR for 10% off, my 8.5" barrel was $96.50 shipped
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No difference other than the laser markings and the lack of dimples.  Mine arrives tomorrow!  Didn't think the sale would apply to the overruns, even more of a killer deal. Might buy a 8.5 too.  BTW gas port size is .125 on the 10.5.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No difference other than the laser markings and the lack of dimples.  Mine arrives tomorrow!  Didn't think the sale would apply to the overruns, even more of a killer deal. Might buy a 8.5 too.  BTW gas port size is .125 on the 10.5.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the .125 gas port size ok?
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 1:24:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the max size, but I was going to run an SLR adjustable any how with an H2 buffer.  From my research .096-.100 is the sweet spot, but YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 1:27:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Gotcha, thanks. I've got a 10.5" Bergara barrel and the port is .115".  Didn't know which one was better.  Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#27]
The 8.5" barrels are threaded 5/8-24. What would be a good muzzle device for it?
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 6:52:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The 8.5" barrels are threaded 5/8-24. What would be a good muzzle device for it?
View Quote

I've got a 10.5" Bergara barrel that I used to build a 300 upper a few months back.  I put an AAC 51t brakeout on it. Got it on sale and plan to one day go the NFA route and get an AAC suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 9:22:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

They should all be threaded 5/8-24, as that's the standard for 30 caliber muzzles.

What muzzle device you use depends on what you're going to do with the barrel.  If you know you're going with a specific suppressor, get a device that works as a mount for it.  

Since I know that eventually I'll be getting a .30 cal can, but at the moment I don't know which one, my 8" upper has a LaRue .308 A2 flash hider on it, as will the 16" barrel I just got.  It's a lot easier on the pocket book to buy simple stuff (LaRue's A2 comes with a crush washer and lists for $19 something) and later make a solid decision, than to plan on one thing early on and wind up not having that work out - and have to replace one costly suppressor mount with another.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 1:02:04 AM EDT
[#30]
I'd use an adjustable GB anyway to dial it in and reduce the buffer weight.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 7:08:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

correct, use whichever you want. I have a SiCo Trifecta muzzle brake going on mine so I can run my Specwar 762 on it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 11:06:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

With my 16" barrel, I'm going to stick with a fixed block and standard buffer and see what happens.  Since this works great for my 8" upper, I think I'll be OK.  The standard block I'm looking at is inexpensive and installs with setscrews, so if I have to change, it's no big deal.  I'm looking at simple and solid, rather than complex and tricky here.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 4:22:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

With my 16" barrel, I'm going to stick with a fixed block and standard buffer and see what happens.  Since this works great for my 8" upper, I think I'll be OK.  The standard block I'm looking at is inexpensive and installs with setscrews, so if I have to change, it's no big deal.  I'm looking at simple and solid, rather than complex and tricky here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thoughts were, if the gas port is 0.125" and the weapon is overgassed, Rather make a gas adjustment then keep adding buffer weight. Once it's set, don't change it. I've made adjustable GB's from standard so cost isn't a factor. Just a thought...
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#34]
That's my thought too.  "Overgassed" is really "buffer and spring don't match the gas pressure."  Adding weight at the buffer end is easier than changing out a gas block, or tweaking an adjustable block.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 1:09:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Got a 16" 1/7 carbine barrel on the way.

I am really disappointed in my homemade 300/221 barrel I made a few years ago.  I can't find a good load that will perform under 2" and it is a 1/10 twist barrel.  168/175 subsonic simply do not group, but lightweight bullets do, down to ~2".

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm really (as in really, just started researching parts for my first AR) New to ARs .Would one of the 16" 1/7 barrels mount up to an Aero precision m4e1 upper/handguard? What does it mean that it doesn't have dimples? Would that impair reliability or mounting with an Aero upper (or any upper I guess)? Would I need any other parts to mount the barrel to the upper?
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 4:48:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm really (as in really, just started researching parts for my first AR) New to ARs .Would one of the 16" 1/7 barrels mount up to an Aero precision m4e1 upper/handguard? What does it mean that it doesn't have dimples? Would that impair reliability or mounting with an Aero upper (or any upper I guess)? Would I need any other parts to mount the barrel to the upper?
View Quote

The barrel will work just fine with any of the Aero uppers.

The dimples are there to help keep the gas block from moving.  Most barrels do not come with them, they are an added bonus or something you can sometimes pay additional for.

The only thing you will need to attach the barrel to the Aero M4E1 upper is their proprietary barrel but but the upper should come with it.  If you do not already have the gas block or gas tube, you will need that as well.  If you do not have those two items, get them from KAK to save on shipping and take advantage of the 10% discount code plus their gas tubes are nitride treated.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#38]
I really appreciate the response! I was thinking of getting this upper/lower combo:  
http://www.schuylerarmsco.com/product.aero-precision-fde-builder-set-12-em-12-handguard-70-993
I was assume this would come with the nut but not sure about the gas block and tube??

Quoted:

The dimples are there to help keep the gas block from moving.  Most barrels do not come with them, they are an added bonus or something you can sometimes pay additional for.

The only thing you will need to attach the barrel to the Aero M4E1 upper is their proprietary barrel but but the upper should come with it.  If you do not already have the gas block or gas tube, you will need that as well.  If you do not have those two items, get them from KAK to save on shipping and take advantage of the 10% discount code plus their gas tubes are nitride treated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Ok the gas block question is throwing me for a loop. How do I know if the handquards from Aero for their midlength upper will fit the KAK glass block with picatinny rail? Do the handguards cover it over or do i need to make sure the handguard length is the right length to butt up against the block? I noticed on some ARs there is more barrel sticking out in fromt of the handguards than others, I liked the way the Aero Precision midlength looked with that amount of barrel showing. KAK also has a low prifile gas block without the rail, does that one get covered up by the handguards?

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#40]
The KAK low pro gas block will be covered by the barrel.  

I assume you want the FDE color?  If you do, for an additional $10, you could get the FDE Aero barreled upper from Schuyler and  the Freedom FDE Aero lower.  All you would need then would be a lower parts kit, buffer tube kit, a stock, charging handle and BCG.  Palmetto has a nice lower parts kit with their enhanced trigger, Magpul grip and Magpul trigger guard for $70.  

If you want to stick with the current parts you listed, the KAK low pro gas block will work just fine.

Quoted:
Ok the gas block question is throwing me for a loop. How do I know if the handquards from Aero for their midlength upper will fit the KAK glass block with picatinny rail? Do the handguards cover it over or do i need to make sure the handguard length is the right length to butt up against the block? I noticed on some ARs there is more barrel sticking out in fromt of the handguards than others, I liked the way the Aero Precision midlength looked with that amount of barrel showing. KAK also has a low prifile gas block without the rail, does that one get covered up by the handguards?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 11:29:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
will try a clamp type adj block or maybe off to ADCO for a dimple.
View Quote

Why not dimple it yourself? It really isn't that hard. I do them pretty often.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 11:36:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
will try a clamp type adj block or maybe off to ADCO for a dimple.

Though it was more difficult with the melonite? Decided I want to try the clamp style based on reading how it has more even pressure on the barrel, SLR inbound this week hopefully.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Out of curiosity, I contacted KAK regarding the rough accuracy expectations that one could have with these overruns and received a response from KAK that said "Most will do about moa".

Looking forward to see if anyone posts up after receiving theirs and doing some testing.

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 12:36:47 AM EDT
[#44]
If I can get 1 moa from the 8.5" barrel I'll be happy. Should get it this Thursday...
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 1:00:14 AM EDT
[#45]
ADCO says that dimpling the barrel is unnecessary. But if you're still determined to dimple, this tool makes it very easy.

http://www.ar15news.com/2015/04/02/new-barrel-dimpling-jig-profile-gas-block/
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 1:29:28 AM EDT
[#46]
A YHM clamp on GB costs about $33. Looks like dimpling 5 barrels would be break even for buying that tool. Haven't dimpled any barrels yet and haven't had any loosen up on me. I do like a clamp on gas block as a personal preference. Easier to install and adjust.

One part of the video indicates leaving a finger nail gap between the shoulder on the barrel and the GB. Not all GB needs that gap and most of the low profile GBs do not. Measuring the distance to the center of the rear set screw to the rear edge of the GB will provide the distance to the center of the port on the GB. The GB port is larger than barrel port to provide some misalignment tolerance, but I like to get them close as possible just the same.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:10:00 PM EDT
[#47]
My YHM 9383 block is more than a little tight on my KAK barrel.  Has anyone else had this crop up?  I kinda expect I'll have to use some super fine emory paper to open the block up a tiny bit to get it to fit, but it was a surprise that it was that tight.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:21:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My YHM 9383 block is more than a little tight on my KAK barrel.  Has anyone else had this crop up?  I kinda expect I'll have to use some super fine emory paper to open the block up a tiny bit to get it to fit, but it was a surprise that it was that tight.
View Quote

I haven't tried a gas block on my KAK barrel but I had the same issue you described on a melonite coated Spikes barrel and yhm block. I used fine grit paper and slowly opened the gas block up, test fit and repeat. Going adjustable on my 300 barrel.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I haven't tried a gas block on my KAK barrel but I had the same issue you described on a melonite coated Spikes barrel and yhm block. I used fine grit paper and slowly opened the gas block up, test fit and repeat. Going adjustable on my 300 barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I was thinking.  The gas block seat is 0.750" by my caliper, so I figured it had to be the block (I haven't measured it yet) that was out of spec.  It shouldn't be in interference fit...  So fine abrasive paper is up next!

I had thought about building this upper for a while, but I hadn't done much about it until these barrels popped up.  I'm glad I took the plunge.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 9:56:12 PM EDT
[#50]
After fucking with this barrel for about an hour, im about to call it a night. I can't get the gas block on. As in it hits the first taper and it's stuck. For fucks sake, it won't even go into the receiver. Looks like I'm going to break out the sand paper and fuck with it tomorrow. After I go drive 4 hours to go pick up my omega from silencershop.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top