Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2015 11:37:20 PM EDT
SO here are my previous threads about the lower and upper specs.

lower

the upper is Balios lite upper
14.5 faxon pencil
extended ti v2 flash hider
JP ultra low mass BCG
Larue tactical bolt
titanium firing pin
v7 lightweight charging handle
slr .625 adjustable Ti gas block
RMR
Larue RMR mount.
BCM KMR 10"
V7 titanium barrel nut and titanium hardware

Lower is standard RRA lower and the whole damn V7 titanium ultra light lower parts catalog
ALG FCG

just tossed her on the scale and she came in at 4.4lbs

Off to the range to tune the gas system.

Update, I just switched over to a smoke composite stock, with endplate and castle nut..wow. Lost about 6.1 oz. I could not believe how much more weight I lost with a Minimalist stock, lightweight buffer tube and titanium castle nut and end plate.

the new complete rifle came in at exactly 4.01 lbs. I can dip below 4lbs with a bailos little lower or a lighter red dot mount
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:44:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you for the business!!!

Ryan
View Quote

Thank you for a great product line. I do see a matching lower for this build in the near future
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Good job. I was going to do nearly the exact thing but got sidetracked. Thanks for being the guinea pig and posting about it!
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:31:06 PM EDT
[#4]
2a and v7, I love their parts. The gun looks great. What's the weight on the rmr+mount?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#5]
This s pretty phenomenal build.  I'm very impressed with the weight you achieved with the rules you had laid out. If you could post your tuning experience and outcome, that would be great.  Particularly interested in the gas block adjustments and variations with the ammo you used.  Other tuning inputs like buffer weight and buffer spring rate/type that you might have tried would be also helpful.  I assume you are going for fast follow-ups and flat shooting gun?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#6]
cool project,  did you use a slow twist barrel for lighter bullets too.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I like it but your dust cover is missing. V seven makes those too. Its only money.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#8]
What was the final cost?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
2a and v7, I love their parts. The gun looks great. What's the weight on the rmr+mount?
View Quote

RMR with mount came in at 3.6 oz. I believe 2.2oz is the mount alone.

I am sure there is a light RMR mount out there, but I am a fan of LT mounts and the return to zero
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This s pretty phenomenal build.  I'm very impressed with the weight you achieved with the rules you had laid out. If you could post your tuning experience and outcome, that would be great.  Particularly interested in the gas block adjustments and variations with the ammo you used.  Other tuning inputs like buffer weight and buffer spring rate/type that you might have tried would be also helpful.  I assume you are going for fast follow-ups and flat shooting gun?
View Quote

I am hoping for a flat shooter with minimal recoil impulse

I will definitely do a tuning session post. hopefully with some videos.

I am running a higher strength carbine spring, i have red sprinco and wolf extra power for testing and tuning. i am also running a lightened buffer.

My theory behind the extra spring strength  it will help compensate fora a lightened buffer. We shall see. I have all the weights still for the buffer.

I will tune it for my bulk reload recipe which is a hornady 55 gr bullet backed by 23.5gr of IMR 4064. Its a pretty light load itself. But I will also see how it handles my go to round out of the box, Winchester white box 5.56 Q3131
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What was the final cost?
View Quote

lost track and honestly afraid to tally it up
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What was the final cost?

Thats what I tell my wife
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:15:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Impressive!  Lightweight, functional, and looks great too.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#14]
A true lightweight, nice rifle. Good job. I fully expect to see the range report posted on this fine build. -W
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I am running a higher strength carbine spring, i have red sprinco and wolf extra power for testing and tuning. i am also running a lightened buffer.

My theory behind the extra spring strength  it will help compensate fora a lightened buffer. We shall see. I have all the weights still for the buffer.

I will tune it for my bulk reload recipe which is a hornady 55 gr bullet backed by 23.5gr of IMR 4064. Its a pretty light load itself. But I will also see how it handles my go to round out of the box, Winchester white box 5.56 Q3131
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look forward to it.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:05:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What was the final cost?

I know the feeling...

I'm doing a ULW build but going a different route, as much carbon fiber and polymer as possible.

The only thing I couldn't bring myself to justify buying... yet,

was a Ti or Al bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:48:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

J:  You might want to reconsider your choice of buffer spring.  My lightweight build has adjustable gas and a Taccom 1 oz buffer.  Taccom recommends a special reduced-strength buffer spring, the opposite of what you installed.  The idea is, a standard carbine spring will move the low mass carrier back into battery too quickly, inviting "bolt over cartridge" type malfunctions. - CW

http://www.taccom3g.com/enhanced-carbine-spring.html
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:54:58 AM EDT
[#18]
I ordered that barrel last weekend from AIM. Its out for delivery today.

I dig that RMR mount. It looks sweet.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:07:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I dig that RMR mount. It looks sweet.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#21]
well done!!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
 J:  You might want to reconsider your choice of buffer spring.  My lightweight build has adjustable gas and a Taccom 1 oz buffer.  Taccom recommends a special reduced-strength buffer spring, the opposite of what you installed.  The idea is, a standard carbine spring will move the low mass carrier back into battery too quickly, inviting "bolt over cartridge" type malfunctions. - CW

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you. I will look into it.

I never thought about it that way, I was only thinking extra spring power to slow the buffer down going back. This covers the extra power going forward with the light bcg.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:26:16 PM EDT
[#23]
J:  If you want to knock off some more weight, check out the combination buffer tube and fixed buttstock made by Smoke Composites.  Total weight, not counting buffer, spring, castle nut and end plate, is only about 100 grams or less than 4 oz. - CW

http://www.smokecomposites.com/#!stocks/c6q4
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
J:  If you want to knock off some more weight, check out the combination buffer tube and fixed buttstock made by Smoke Composites.  Total weight, not counting buffer, spring, castle nut and end plate, is only about 100 grams or less than 4 oz. - CW

http://www.smokecomposites.com/#!stocks/c6q4
View Quote

Those are pretty slick and very very light. I did want to keep my stock adjustable for this build.

There are a few other places I could have saved weight but I didn't want to dip into the polymer uppers or lowers and I didn't want a tube for a forearm.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:20:55 AM EDT
[#25]
damn the more I look at that stock I like it. I might have to order it as well as the tactical link light weight recoil system. I might be in the sub 4lb range soon

EDIT. Probably not sub 4lb, read the weight wrong on the smoke composite stock. But I could drop a couple ounces
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:02:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Very good looking and well thought out. I'm looking at a 14.5 lw barrel but had no idea about the titanium parts.
Out of curiosity is this a lightweight record?
Also, subscribed for a range report.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:23:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
snip...Out of curiosity is this a lightweight record?...snip.
View Quote
 FYI, there are a number of builders who have demonstrated working AR-15s weighing less than 4 lbs.  However, its useful to keep some rules in mind when comparing one lightweight AR to another.  To be fair, the end result needs to be a legal-length rifle, not an SBR or pistol, and have working sights of some kind.  It should be weighed without a magazine since mags vary in size depending of the application at hand.  

With a little bit of effort, I got my latest build (in 6.8 SPC) down to 5 lbs, 13 oz.  Reducing below 4 lbs is much more difficult and calls for extreme measures like titanium lower parts kits and carbon fiber furniture.

In any event, ultra-light ARs is the latest "build it yourself" craze.  This makes sense since the AR-15's whole reason for existence has been a military carbine that is lighter and shorter than its full-size predecessors:  the M1, M14 and FAL. - CW

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/11/23/weekend-photo-ultra-light-ounces-pounds-ar-15/
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:23:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Hey J - Not to nag, but I was hoping to hear how the tuning and range time went for you and this rifle.  I am seriously considering doing something similar, but building something like what you have done ain't cheap!  So I was hoping to leverage your experience on the parts you used to avoid any issues that you might have encountered.  If you're too busy, that's cool...
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Hey no problem at all. I have been busy and have not been to the range yet.

I just got in my JP speed hammer. It was recomnded by JP to run with their aluminum BCG.

I also got a couple buffers and buffer springs to test.

I will try my best to get out and tune this thing but please stay tuned.

I also got a smoke composite stock just to play with. It hasn't arrived yet but I was curious and bit the bullet.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 3:21:33 AM EDT
[#30]
bump for updates, 4.01 lbs
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Right on its awesome
Im working on a ultra light build my self
lock load live free
" />
iv been looking at that jp carrier my self how do you like them ?

Link Posted: 11/10/2015 7:08:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Range report?
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 9:32:15 PM EDT
[#33]
kind of curious,did you happen to weigh the steel parts against the Ti parts to see what the difference was?
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:29:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Nice build you used a lot of the same components Im using on my build.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 10:55:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Range report?
View Quote

My first trip to the range was an interesting one. I started a spectate thread because I was getting spark showers out of the muzzle. So when it happened a few times, I stopped shooting. I did find it very easy to tune the gas system though. Got it cycling just fine. It was pretty soft shooting, loud though. I was at an indoor range.

Turned out the Sparks are normal with a titanium flash hider and will subside with more rounds down range
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
kind of curious,did you happen to weigh the steel parts against the Ti parts to see what the difference was?
View Quote

I did weigh everything, was there a particular part you were looking for as far as weight comparison?
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Why not a mag tactical lower or Balios lite lower?

Very nice build btw.

FWIW, I run a sprinco Orange spring with a Rhino Arms LW BCG and 3oz buffer to get cycle speeds a little over 1,000RPM from my bump gun.  I've got it in a 16" barrel rifle gas gun, had to open the gas port to cycle wolf.

No issues feeding from Pmags so far.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 10:37:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Why not a mag tactical lower or Balios lite lower?

Very nice build btw.

FWIW, I run a sprinco Orange spring with a Rhino Arms LW BCG and 3oz buffer to get cycle speeds a little over 1,000RPM from my bump gun.  I've got it in a 16" barrel rifle gas gun, had to open the gas port to cycle wolf.

No issues feeding from Pmags so far.
View Quote

I plan on getting a balios lite lower very soon
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Incredible. I'm hoping just to get mine to 5lbs!
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 11:06:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Very nice setup, sir! Thank you for sharing.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top