Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2015 5:41:22 PM EDT
If I order a PSA upper and lower and put them together myself, do I have to headspace the upper?

Complete lower and upper is what I am buying?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#1]
No. Just lube it, push the pins in, check for proper function, shoot and repeat.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:59:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Check head space when installing a new bolt or barrel.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#3]
A cautious person would check head space with a no/go gauge set....most including myself say don't worry about it and shoot the thing
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#4]
If it was a complete upper, PSA already did that.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A cautious person would check head space with a no/go gauge set....most including myself say don't worry about it and shoot the thing
View Quote

(cautious guy here)
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#6]
It couldn't possibly hurt to check if you have the gauges however
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:29:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

(cautious guy here)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(cautious guy here)

And another cautious guy. Gauges are only $80, why risk it? I don't want to be the guy that didn't check the headspace and blows apart a $500+ rifle, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And another cautious guy. Gauges are only $80, why risk it? I don't want to be the guy that didn't check the headspace and blows apart a $500+ rifle, but that's just me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(cautious guy here)

You can find them cheaper, but here's the ones that I bought for 5.56 NATO http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FORSTER-HEADSPACE-GAGE-556-NATO-MINIMUM-MAXIMUM-MFG-HG556NATOMIN-MAX-/201397276854?hash=item2ee43690b6

http://www.forsterproducts.com/store.asp?pid=27204
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#9]
If the upper comes with a bcg, then they checked it. If you bought the bcg separately, I would get your local gunsmith to check it or buy the gages.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:35:00 PM EDT
[#10]
PSA uppers whether they come with or with out a BCG are test fired so if even if you use your own bolt and ours in with in specs it should head space properly.  I've used many PSA uppers now for myself and building for freinds and have had no problems.  The lower is not important unless it's not made correctly then  you may have problems with upper and lower fitment and take down pin alignment.  So far I've not heard of any PSA on PSA problems.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't check headspace with AR's (either my own builds or complete uppers). But I guess I just live on the edge
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:03:16 PM EDT
[#12]
The "check" or "or not to check" debate comes up often.
There seems to be an even split as to those who do or do not check headspace.
While there could be more reasons why some do not check headspace- I think these are the main ones.

-They do not believe it is important as long as the parts they are using are "in spec."
-Somebody they trust told them that they do not need to check it
-They do not know how to check it or they have not invested in the proper tooling to do so

I check every upper I build and there are reasons why manufacturers check it- to cover their butts and it is just the right thing to do IMHO
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:06:57 PM EDT
[#13]
It's cheap insurance to check it and only takes a small amount of time.

That said...I've yet to have an AR or any of the M4's I've worked on fail to head space properly.  I still have checked every single one though.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top