Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2015 10:41:31 PM EDT
First, I will start off by saying that I have only assembled a few lowers so I am not the most experienced. I was installing the rear takedown pin and after I got it in I couldn't get the takedown pin to open. I had to remove the stock and take the spring and detent out to get the pin to move. I was looking at the detent and noticed that both sides are shaped like cones, one side more than the other. On the previous receivers I assembled I put the pointy side of the detent toward the takedown pin. I did the same for this and it was a pain to get the pin to move. Any suggestions? Am I installing this correctly?
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:51:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had similar issues before. Sometimes the detent just needed to make/find its groove. I would tap the takedown pin in and out of place a few times to work it in.

On worse case scenarios I have snipped a few coils to weaken the tension, I do this often with safety springs and detents
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:49:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I will give that a go and see what happens. Someone else told me the same thing. Sometimes it just needs to be worked a bit.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 3:46:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a TD pin detent not work correctly. I replaced it with an OEM Colt detent and all was well.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 6:16:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Put a drop of oil on it
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 8:01:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Is the upper one that has the detent hole  tapped and held in by an allen screw? If so you have to clip a few coils off the spring.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I also had a bad set of detent pins from PSA.
they sent me new ones and they were gtg.

literally could not move the take down or piviot pins in or out with those detents in place.
I even took a hammer to one like an idiot.
not super hard, but enough that I knew it wasn't going to move.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#7]
The detent pins should have rounded ends and look like they were cadmium plated.
Another person here at work got detents with a pointed end and the springs were also wrong in a kit.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 5:32:59 AM EDT
[#8]
A drop of oil upon installation will help break/seat it in.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 12:39:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have had similar issues before. Sometimes the detent just needed to make/find its groove. I would tap the takedown pin in and out of place a few times to work it in.

On worse case scenarios I have snipped a few coils to weaken the tension, I do this often with safety springs and detents
View Quote

This.

Heck I've actually had a safety spring that was actually too short, from a PSA parts kit before. As ghetto as it sounds, I packed the hole in the pistol grip with paper towels very tightly, until the spring was high enough to actually provide enough tension. Sounds ghetto,I know, but it works great, and has held up for over a year and several thousand rounds.

All in all, tolerance stacking, and out of spec parts occasionally call for some hand fitting. As far as I'm concerned it's no big deal, and generally these things can be easily corrected.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Just wanted to update. All it took was some TLC. Just needed to lube it up and push it in and out a few times and it loosened right up. Yes I am still talking about the detent.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 10:39:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just wanted to update. All it took was some TLC. Just needed to lube it up and push it in and out a few times and it loosened right up.

Yes I am still talking about the detent.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 7:57:17 AM EDT
[#12]
The front detent was like that on my most recent build. I thought there was something wrong with the pin itself but turned out it was just the detent. I worked the pin back and fourth a bunch of times and it seemed to loosen up. It's still tight but not as bad as it was originally.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 8:31:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just wanted to update. All it took was some TLC. Just needed to lube it up and push it in and out a few times and it loosened right up. Yes I am still talking about the detent.
View Quote

My first kit was a Del-ton and I didn't lube any of that stuff.  It worked, but it was quite stiff (still going with the innuendo here).

Since then I've learned to lube all those parts as I'm installing (including the roll pins).  Assembly goes much more smoothly and everything works much more smoothly.  

Rule of thumb: Lube on all moving parts is your friend.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My first kit was a Del-ton and I didn't lube any of that stuff.  It worked, but it was quite stiff (still going with the innuendo here).

Since then I've learned to lube all those parts as I'm installing (including the roll pins).  Assembly goes much more smoothly and everything works much more smoothly.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much this for me too.  I like to put a bead of TW-25B in the detent channels, it stays put and keeps things moving pretty well.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top