Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2015 3:12:14 AM EDT
Anyone ever used barrel nut shims on the extension--->upper side?

Having a feed ramp issue and a little extra meat on the extension would fix it.

I assume I would need to cut a slot into the shim and thread it behind the indexing pin.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:28:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I assume I would need to cut a slot into the shim and thread it behind the indexing pin.
View Quote
 M:  I would not do that.  I could be wrong, but introducing a shim into that critical interface could degrade accuracy.  The flange on the barrel extension needs a clean, flat surface on the receiver to seat properly.  Instead, I suggest you use your trusty Dremel tool, with a small conical stone and some rubber abrasive tips, to blend and polish those feed ramps.  Don't worry about removing some of the anodizing, its of no consequence. - CW

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessories/Pages/default.aspx
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lacking a pic, it sounds like the receiver ramps are proud (above) of the barrel extension ramps.
If so, it should feed as is.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I would re-work the feed ramp long before I would try what you're suggesting.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 4:48:13 PM EDT
[#4]
The barrel ramps stock out past the receiver ramps. I guess shimming the barrel extension would pull the barrel forward but would also mess with timing/lock up.

Really dont want to blend the barrel ramps but I might have to.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The barrel ramps stock out past the receiver ramps. I guess shimming the barrel extension would pull the barrel forward but would also mess with timing/lock up.

Really dont want to blend the barrel ramps but I might have to.
View Quote

OK, maybe you have rifle ramps on your barrel extension and M4 ramps on your receiver ?

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:51:18 PM EDT
[#6]
They ar m4/m4, just over lap the receiver some.

Already have a thread on this but here is a pic for ref.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh, that's that Aero Precision thing.
http://aeroprecisionusa.com/aspx/general/media.aspx?mediaid=24
As stated in the other thread, they are both AP parts....why not make them fix it ?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:04:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Those feed ramps appear to have been cut AFTER the receiver was Anodized.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I think you're seeing a reflection off the barrel extension's ramps onto the lower's ramps.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Wait did you say you over lapped the reciever? As in you were lapping it and you went to far?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wait did you say you over lapped the reciever? As in you were lapping it and you went to far?
View Quote

Look at the pictures.  The barrel extension's feed ramps stick out over the lower receiver's ramps.  The barrel's ramps "overlap" the receiver's ramps.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#12]
The feed ramps in the upper look off.
I think a conversation with the seller or manufacturer is in order.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#13]
aero says shoot it and report back. Not really happy with that answer.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I doubt you will have any problems. It looks as though the protrusion of the BE ramps above the receiver ramps is .003-.005". I would bet that is well within spec. My SBR is Rifle receiver/M4 barrel ("OK" picture above) and feeds without issue. The reciever never even gets a mark from contact, only the ramps on the barrel extension.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:05:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I had a similar issue with an aero build using their upper and barrel. When shooting the bullet would catch on the lip and jam.  I was in a hurry to use the rifle so I blended the ramp into the barrel to fit the upper.

Edit=damn kindle keyboard
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:14:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

If your regular ammo does not have problems try some ammo with different bullets.
I am not going to say it won’t work, but that is not what I have seen in any of my builds.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top