Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2015 11:44:40 PM EDT
Hi All,

So I bought 3 0% lowers thinking that the first would likely not make it. I learned a ton from it and when done I thought it would atleast be shootable. Well turns out my buffer tube is too low in the rcvr.  Any suggestions? I'm fairly sure I will just have to let this one go. Thought about milling it to the correct position, filling the perimeter with jb weld and re-tapping. Only thing is I'm not sure if it is going to be strong enough. Anyway progressing much better with the second lower :) -Ry
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:41:54 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Hi All,

So I bought 3 0% lowers thinking that the first would likely not make it. I learned a ton from it and when done I thought it would atleast be shootable. Well turns out my buffer tube is too low in the rcvr.  Any suggestions? I'm fairly sure I will just have to let this one go. Thought about milling it to the correct position, filling the perimeter with jb weld and re-tapping. Only thing is I'm not sure if it is going to be strong enough. Anyway progressing much better with the second lower :) -Ry
View Quote
you're not out anything except time and JB weld. give it a shot if that's the only thing wrong with it. It may just be good practice for the next time you will need to do this.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:36:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Well turns out my buffer tube is too low in the rcvr.  Any suggestions?
View Quote

Sure.

Use it with a gas piston upper.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:48:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
you're not out anything except time and JB weld. give it a shot if that's the only thing wrong with it. It may just be good practice for the next time you will need to do this.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi All,

Id agree with this.

I would use it as a dedicated .22, however
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Or have a plug made (make it yourself). Pin it then an drill. You'll learn a ton.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:25:44 PM EDT
[#5]
That plug sounds very interesting. I will read up on it. The more I think of the jb weld the less I like it. I do not know how much force the bolt carrier has, but I really don't want something to fail at just the right time and find out.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:31:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Sure.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure.

Pistons replace the gas tube, not the buffer tube.

OP, you could use it with a .22 upper.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:37:51 PM EDT
[#7]
How low exactly? Back in the day, when I was useing cast lowers, if I got the receiver extension threads crooked I'd grind down the bolt carrier so it wouldn't bind up. If we're talking like 1/8" I'd give that a try.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:02:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure.

Oh good, I thought I was missing something there
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:04:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How low exactly? Back in the day, when I was useing cast lowers, if I got the receiver extension threads crooked I'd grind down the bolt carrier so it wouldn't bind up. If we're talking like 1/8" I'd give that a try.
View Quote

Unfortunately I'm well over an 8'th.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top