Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2015 7:39:28 PM EDT
Have been lurking this forum and others on and off for the past few months and the wife has agreed to let me purchase one for the birthday this year! Will mostly be used at the range and to round out my arsenal (3 handguns, 2 shotguns, and a 22 rifle)

With that being said the budget is tight and I am trying to spend each dollar as wisely as possible (which is obvious since I'm getting information from people who will forget more about firearms than i'll ever be able to learn in my lifetime!)

For under a grand I've learned the safest bets are the Colt 6920 and Spikes Mid-Length Tactical. In the $550-$700 range I've seen the Ruger AR-556, S&W M&P15 Sport, and ArmaLite Defender 15 come recommended. Now for the tricky part trying to get the best value for under $500 in todays market. Please see below for a few options I was able to find.

Lower:
New Frontier Armory LW-15 GENII - $110.00
PSA AR-15 Complete Blem Lower - Classic Edition - $140
PSA AR-15 Complete Blem Lower Magpul MOE - $170

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Upper:
PTAC 16" 5.56mm 1:7 Carbine Length M4 Profile - $290
5.56mm -- Flattop Upper & FDE Magpul MOE Handguard - $300
BCA Brown Bear Upper - $300
SS Blem 16" 5.56/223 Wylde AR15 Upper - $330
PTAC 16" Midlength 5.56 NATO SOCOM 1/7 Nitride - $350
16" M4 1/8 Tactical 15" Quad Rail - $350
PSA 16" Mid-length 5.56 NATO 1:7 A2 - $385
Custom 16" M4 1x9 5.56 Nitride Upper - $390
PSA 16" Carbine Length CHF M4 5.56 1:7 - $400

So if I went with the cheapest lower and upper it would total out at $400 and the most expensive would be $570. Plus I would still need to get the sights, magazines, and ammo.

Please and thank you for any advice you guys are willing to share with me! I haven't been this excited about a birthday present since I was a kid!
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:45:29 PM EDT
[#2]
IMHO most ANY AR-15 with be fine for most people (most people being those who want to hit the range and plink a bit).

Basic AR-15 accessories (A2 grip, A2 flash hider, mil-spec stock) etc are all fine.

Don't have a chrome lined barrel?  No problem, you probably won't shoot 5000 rounds through your gun in a lifetime.

Gas key and castle nut aren't staked?  You can do that yourself with stuff from Home Depot.

Now, all that being said.  If you are the kind of guy who likes to upgrade your rifle, you may end up buying accessories later.  This may be fine as it stretches out the timeline on which you need to come up with money.

As for me, I just built myself my "perfect" rifle for $2000 so I certainly appreciate quality parts.  That being said, if your budget is tight and you don't plan on going overseas or killing hordes of zombies.  You can probably buy a "cheap" rifle and never know the difference.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:47:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I would advise against a poly lower for your first AR15.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 8:08:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you think the magpul edition is worth the extra $30 over the classic lower?

Any of the uppers stand out as a better value in terms of quality vs cost?
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#5]
You can get a Smith & Wesson 15 Sport for $528 and that comes with one magazine and a front and rear sight.  If it's just going to be a range/ ranch gun that you will plink with, it's a good cheap option.  If you can swing the extra $300, the Colt is a great option.  Maybe hold off until July 4th.  I'm sure there will be some great deals, everything is finally getting cheaper.  

If you are patient, you can piece one together from good deals.  A complete lower from one source, barreled upper or complete upper from another, BCG from another, charging handle, sights and magazines.  Look for free shipping deals, nothing kills a pieced together cheap build quicker than 5-6 seperately shipping charges.  

PSA and Aero have good deals on complete lowers and barreled uppers  often, PSA just about every day.  I recently bought one of the PSA barreled uppers to try it out and I was really impressed.  I ran 300 rounds through it with no issues and it was quite accurate.  With that said, I used a quality lower, quality BCG and decent ammo.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 9:05:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personally if I were doing budget from this list I would not spend the extra.  I would do the $140 PSA blem Classic and the $385 PSA upper.  

Some of the other stuff From your list I looked at was out of stock so that doesn't help at all.

Other guy has a good point with the S&W.  PSA is also running kits for $380 routinely I think... $400 maybe?  With the $40 Anderson lowers out there that is a good option if you could snap one together.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I can get a part list for about $600 or under for a pretty good AR with no optics or tools .. Right now I am working on a similar build here .. You have to it down and figure out what works for you and fits your skill level ..
I am going with pretty much basic parts that are know to work and stick with a GM chrome lined barrel for longevity of it verses accuracy since I am not looking to build a precision sniper rifle  otherwise I would have built one not a AR-15 M4.. Plus I am only  shooting steel targets at 100yrds and up to 300yrds...
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#8]
PSA has kits on sale.  Nitride Kit

They offer have their CHF mid length and carbines on sale for $499.  Sometimes with free shipping.  Can't beat that for a duty rifle or even a multi purpose quality beginner setup.  

Wouldn't be my first choice but its one I found quick, great deal.  18" CHF Kit

Add an Anderson lower to any of them and you set.  The cheaper route would leave room for a rear flip-up and a couple of mags.  FWIW, I've seen Anderson's locally for $55+tax.  You should be able to find something close.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#9]
My picks from your list...

Lower:

Upper:

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Get the FN made CHF barreled upper from PSA.  There is absolutely no reason to compromise, unless you are planning to get something specific like an 18" SS heavy barrel or something.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 9:17:19 PM EDT
[#11]
also, if this is your first AR, I think you should just buy one instead of trying to build one. You want one manufacturer to call and talk to. The S&W above is a good choice.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 9:20:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a PSA midlength A2 upper, and it's an absolute tack driver. At 100 yds, three out of four shots will practically touch each other (using 3x9 power scope). Only downside is the weight...it's a heavy weight barrel.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
also, if this is your first AR, I think you should just buy one instead of trying to build one. You want one manufacturer to call and talk to. The S&W above is a good choice.
View Quote

Based off of his menu, I think this is more of a mating of assembled upper and assembled lower.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 9:30:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a PSA midlength A2 upper, and it's an absolute tack driver. At 100 yds, three out of four shots will practically touch each other (using 3x9 power scope). Only downside is the weight...it's a heavy weight barrel.
View Quote

I have the stainless freedom mid length  barreled upper from them and it is a very accurate barrel for the money.  It is heavy as you stated but it's not a rifle I'm going to be running around with.  It's a range/ fun property rifle.  Plus I wanted to try a cheap build and some items from PSA.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 11:33:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Get the FN made CHF barreled upper from PSA.  There is absolutely no reason to compromise, unless you are planning to get something specific like an 18" SS heavy barrel or something.
View Quote

Big thank you to everyone who has weighed in on this for me so far! I may end up waiting til the 4th of July specials just to make sure the Colts don't go on sale for some ridiculous price and have buyers remorse!

I saw a few of you recommended a PSA combination of the following out of my "menu" and others suggested the S&W M&P15 Sport for $540.

Lower:
Upper:

PSA build-$555 vs the S&W Sport-$540 - what would be some of the pros and cons between these two?

Thanks again for all of the help everyone!
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 1:12:20 AM EDT
[#16]
The M&P 15 Sport will come with a back up sight and one magazine.  I'm not sure who makes the barrels for them.  There's a 99.99% chance the rifle will function fine right out of the box. 1:9 twist barrel.

IMO, the PSA lower comes with a better (more comfortable and visually appealing) stock and grip.  The FN barrel that comes on the PSA upper is a good barrel. 1:7 twist barrel.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 1:14:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Based off of his menu, I think this is more of a mating of assembled upper and assembled lower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get that. And it's his first AR. And I stand by wanted one phone number to call.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 1:28:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Big thank you to everyone who has weighed in on this for me so far! I may end up waiting til the 4th of July specials just to make sure the Colts don't go on sale for some ridiculous price and have buyers remorse!

I saw a few of you recommended a PSA combination of the following out of my "menu" and others suggested the S&W M&P15 Sport for $540.

Lower:
Upper:

PSA build-$555 vs the S&W Sport-$540 - what would be some of the pros and cons between these two?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lower:
Upper:

Go with the PSA for the slight extra bit of change. With the S&W your getting the cheapest parts S&W can find and then put them in a rifle with a PSA your getting top quality at a budget price, also the S&W has the exercise tax added to the cost since it's complete which is !8% I believe, so your really looking at a $400 gun. The S&W your are getting a rifle with no dust cover if that bothers you, it would bother me, and a 1/9 barrel most likely unlined to save money. IMO I would go with the $400 PSA CHF upper since it's a premium FN barrel. The barrel will make the gun as far as accuracy and durability. So if you are going to spend money the best barrel you can afford is what I would look at. As far as Carbine vs Midlength there is not a huge amount of difference IMO. I have both.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get that. And it's his first AR. And I stand by wanted one phone number to call.

He does have one phone number to call PSA. So where is the argument, with the S&W he is getting the cheapest crap parts S&W could find stuck in a rifle.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 2:58:56 AM EDT
[#19]
When I decided I wanted an AR I went through the same thing you are going through now. My budget is tight and I was tempted by a few sales on factory rifles. In the end it came down to the fact that none of the factory rifles had everything I wanted. After lots of researching I put together a rifle that cost me $100 more than the factory rifles I was looking at but had the features of a rifle costing almost twice as much. With that being said +1 on the PSA CHF kit. I have always had good luck with PSA parts and their CHF barrels are made by FN. I also really like the MI SSK handguard they offer in a few of them. The only bad thing I can say about PSA is that their shipping times are slow. The heart of an AR is the barrel and you aren't gonna find a better deal on a quality barrel. I have a 16" FN barrel and I love it. I've never set down at a rest with it but I can empty a mag as quick as I can align the dot and pull the trigger and put them in a fist sized group at 50yds, head sized at 100. I also paid $250 for it from another great company before PSA got them and it is still worth it at that price. I prefer NiB or nitrided BCGs but it just makes it a little easier to clean and if your pinching pennies it can save you to go with a phosphated bolt. It also might be cheaper to get a lower locally to avoid the transfer fee and buy the complete lpk(including buffer,stock, etc.) from them. If you get a LPK from them spend the extra $15 to get the ALG QMS or ACT trigger. If don't have the tools and want to buy a complete upper all you need is a hammer and some punches to put together the lower. Everything else just start off with the basics, shoot the rifle, find out what works for you and what doesn't. Then you can modify and accessorize over time as you can afford to.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#20]
That classic blem complete PSA lower is down another $10 for today.  

Probably best deal they make except maybe Black Friday.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 6:58:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That classic blem complete PSA lower is down another $10 for today.  

Probably best deal they make except maybe Black Friday.
View Quote

That's great hopefully it stays low! ... I'm thinking of ordering my present this upcoming memorial day weekend.

Lower:
PSA AR-15 Complete Blem Lower Classic Edition - $130
PSA Complete Blem Lower Magpul MOE - $170
They also have the PSA AR-15 Magpul STR/ACS-L/CTR Editions available from $190-200

Upper:
PTAC 16" MIDLENGTH 5.56 NATO SOCOM 1/7 NITRIDE - $270
PSA 16" MID-LENGTH 5.56 NATO 1:7 A2 - $385
PSA 16" MID LENGTH CHF 5.56 1:7 - $400

Any last suggestions as far as getting the most bang for my buck before I pull the trigger? (too punny)

Thank you again for everyone's time and help!

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 1:05:15 AM EDT
[#22]
You could go with the Runner Runner guns upper and the PSA Classic lower. That would be $430 and all you'd need is sights and a couple mags. Two magpul mags would be around $25, if you put Magpul sights on it, you can get the set for around $90. Red X Arms has them for $88 and has free shipping.

That would give you a grand total of $545. You'll want to get free shipping though otherwise your cost goes up. Next week will be a good time to buy since there will be Memorial Day sales. There will also be sales around Fathers Day.

Keep in mind also that you'll have a FFL transfer fee for the lower. That's usually around $25

Another option is just buy the complete rifle Here's an S&W MP15 Sport for $539
http://www.gunbuyer.com/p-58570-smith-wesson-mp-15-sport-ar-15-556mm-16-301-collapsible-stock-with-no-forward-assist.aspx#.U9q1HbHDV7g
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 2:29:32 AM EDT
[#23]
I just test fired my PSA P-tac 16" nitride middy upper (no bcg/ch) today. It worked flawlessly (standard carbine buffer and with both steel and brass). Was $179 (daily deal). I'm as happy with this upper as my PSA FN CHF/CL 16" middy upper (which was $300 w/o bcg/ch).
Upper: PSA P-tac 16" nitride middy w/o bcg/ch $179
Lower: Anderson $60 (w/ ffl transfer fee)
Lower LPK: PSA "classic" $100
BCG: AIM nitride BDG $90
CH: Anderson mil spec 7075 $15

TOTAL: $445.

Added Magpul K2 grip ($19), DD A1.5 fixed rear sight ($60)

New total: $525 and TOTALLY happy with it.

btw... that PSA P-tac link you posted lists as "socom" profile. My upper was listed as A2 profile but was came with slip describing as "socom". PSA's idea of socom IS an A2, as they are almost identical (not a true socom).
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:13:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Here is what I was going to build
                                                                                        Price
Barrel-Green mountain Chrome lined 16" 1-7" twist           $150
Upper-Anderson Featherlight style stripped                       $40
Lower-Anderson Stripped                                                  $40
Blot Carrier-
Boron coated AIMSurplus                                                    $95
Standard Bolt Aimsurpuls                                                    $75
Handguard- Magpul                                                             $33
Charging handle-Find a  cheap one                                    $15
Gas block-Cheap alumin one                                              $20
Gas tube-                                                                            $16
Barrrel nut,Delta bracket,handguard clip with spring         $30
Lower Parts Kit - Anderson                                               $40
                                                                              Total -$479 with the Boron Bolt Carrier
This setup has no stock which I figured you could pick one..I modding the list a little bit for my needs with jp spring and stone to hone my trigger down to smooth it out and use the set screw in the handle to modd the trigger some more ..Also  I will be adding a Baska 1-4 28mm scope to the build and also tools will be needed to help with the build and repair..
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:36:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Be careful with PSA. On some of their budget uppers and guns I know people have had issue with the front sights being canted. PSA's customer service is horrible. That being said I have several of their "premium" uppers and one Black Friday upper and am very happy with them.

Stay away from the Ptac stuff. Ptac is low quality. I bought a couple Ptac lower parts kits. They were terrible. I threw them away because nothing fit right. The bolt catch was too thick. The trigger looked like it was made with a dremel and hacksaw.

I have heard good things about these. Seems like a pretty good deal and gets good reviews.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Hold the press!

For the $400 upper, Consider this.

Yes, you will have to add in a front sight and not just rear but I like it.

Also the rifle kit (no trigger) is $509.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#27]
You know pretty much want you want now. There are some awesome deals on the EE right now. (For example I just picked up a blemish M4 upper for$30 SHIPPED,not much off of retail but still a nice savings)If you search, compare prices and be patient you can build a kick ass AR for under $550 easily. There are a lot of people that keep changing their mind and sell parts for a loss just to free up some cash. Little bit more than a year ago I did the same and built a sweet A2 carbine for under $500. You don't need the big name upper and lower receiver they're pretty much as good as the next. Happy hunting!
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:30:56 PM EDT
[#28]
PSA 16" Midlength 5.56 NATO 1/7 Melonite Freedom Upper - with BCG and CH
for $280 + free shipping, might be nice for that price.  I'd get the FN CHF (I have a couple) but they seem to be going out of stock fast.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:42:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
PSA 16" Midlength 5.56 NATO 1/7 Melonite Freedom Upper - with BCG and CH
for $280 + free shipping, might be nice for that price.  I'd get the FN CHF (I have a couple) but they seem to be going out of stock fast.
View Quote

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! This is the setup I have decided to order:
Upper:
PSA 16" Midlength 5.56 NATO 1/7 Melonite Freedom Upper - with BCG and CH - $280
Lower: (received shipping confirmation same day!)
PSA AR-15 Complete Lower - Magpul STR Edition - $190

Could anyone weigh in on which one of the following scopes (or one in this range) would compliment my budget build above.
Nikon P-223 3x32 - $145
Nikon ProStaff 3-9 x 40 - $150
Nikon ProStaff 4-12 x 40 - $180

Also if I purchase the mount below will I be able to use this set up without removing the front sight? Will a mbus rear sight also fit under the scope?
Nikon P-Series Mount - $40

As always thank you to everyone for the help!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:59:13 AM EDT
[#30]
The Bushnell 1-4x24 non illuminated is another good low cost option for $138 shipped from Amazon.  You can get the illuminated for $200.  You can get the Burris PEPR mount for another $80-$90 depending on if you want set screw or quick release mounts.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:38:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The Bushnell 1-4x24 non illuminated is another good low cost option for $138 shipped from Amazon.  You can get the illuminated for $200.  You can get the Burris PEPR mount for another $80-$90 depending on if you want set screw or quick release mounts.
View Quote

Thanks for sharing! I think this is the one i'm going to go with and will be pairing it with the highly rated budget mount below:
CCOP MNT-1516 High Profile AR - $29

Do you know if I will have to remove the front site or will this work with the factory A2 sight in place?

Thank you again for all the help!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:43:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thanks for sharing! I think this is the one i'm going to go with and will be pairing it with the highly rated budget mount below:

Do you know if I will have to remove the front site or will this work with the factory A2 sight in place?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the 1 setting, you can see it but you can also have both eyes open on the 1 setting which helps not focus so much on the A2 sight.  On the 3-4 setting, it is hardly noticeable.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top