Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2015 2:06:06 PM EDT
I'm looking to do my first 80% lower job & have read / watched videos over numerous jigs, and still can't decide on what to get. I have 4-5 years experience running manual & CNC mills w/ current access to both. I'm currently looking for recommendations on preference of jigs with pros & cons from previous experiences.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 2:16:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had good success with the 80 percent arms universal jig. I have the one that allows me to use a dewalt router for the killing portion and it's amazingly fast. From start to finish on an 80 percent lower is about 30 minutes. I also ordered their end mills kit.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I have 4-5 years experience running manual & CNC mills w/ current access to both
View Quote

Can't help you on the jig advice, but make sure you aren't putting anyone in legal peril by using a machine that doesn't belong to you:

https://www.atf.gov/sites/default/files/assets/Firearms/FirearmsIndustry/atf-ruling-2015-1-manufacturing-and-gunsmithing.pdf

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 2:46:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Where did you get your lower(s)?

Whomever makes the lower often sells there own jigs.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#4]
i haven't purchased any lowers at the current time. i've just been doing a lot of reading and looking around.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Saw some on Amazon the other day. They were being sold as "art"  Wonder how long that will last until someone catches on. The reviews were hilarious!
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Saw some on Amazon the other day. They were being sold as "art"  Wonder how long that will last until someone catches on. The reviews were hilarious!
View Quote

dont buy no name junk from amazon or other sellers. I have seen castings that are soft as butter and wont take anodizing.

Buy quality jigs and receivers.

OP is you truly have that experience you dont need jigs. just make your own. Very simple. Or use the TM or QD jigs and run the manual or cnc.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:18:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Doubt I would ever do a 80% build. I have done builds from stripped lowers and have a few left in the safe but at the prices complete rifles are selling at right now it's not very cost effective. I'm sure that will change with the upcoming election.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:27:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Do you research, I ended up buying the tactical machine one with bushings. If the jig doesn't have the steel insert bushings it wont last more than 2-3 lowers before the drill guides get loose. The steel inserts will make the jig last a lot longer.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I just purchased this one based off of Paul's thread. Just got it so I cannot testify as to how it works, but I do like the features.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/658360_Modulus_Arms_80__Lower_Jig_Review__photo_heavy_.html

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:50:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have had good success with the 80 percent arms universal jig. I have the one that allows me to use a dewalt router for the killing portion and it's amazingly fast. From start to finish on an 80 percent lower is about 30 minutes. I also ordered their end mills kit.
View Quote

I think Darth meant to say MILLING instead of KILLING the 80% lower using the router  But I agree with him that 80% Arms jigs are very easy to use,  I used my Makita cordless drill and then a Porter Cable router borrowed from a friend to finish milling out the FCG pocket.  I used other jigs and a drill-press set up in the past and it took at least 3 to 4 hours to finish a lower.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Doubt I would ever do a 80% build. I have done builds from stripped lowers and have a few left in the safe but at the prices complete rifles are selling at right now it's not very cost effective. I'm sure that will change with the upcoming election.
View Quote

For most people, it's not about saving money.  Yes, for those of us who already own mills and the requisite tooling, there's a small dollar savings, but pretty much amounts to transfer fees only.  It's mostly about doing it yourself, and for a few, about having custom rollmarks and no clutter from original manufacturer's markings.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I'm looking to do my first 80% lower job & have read / watched videos over numerous jigs, and still can't decide on what to get. I have 4-5 years experience running manual & CNC mills w/ current access to both. I'm currently looking for recommendations on preference of jigs with pros & cons from previous experiences.
View Quote
If you have access to a mill and know how to use it, you don't need a jig.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:27:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just purchased this one based off of Paul's thread. Just got it so I cannot testify as to how it works, but I do like the features.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/658360_Modulus_Arms_80__Lower_Jig_Review__photo_heavy_.html
View Quote

I am the customer service/tech rep for Modulus. If anyone has any questions regarding these jigs or processing your lower please get in touch.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:26:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I have used
http://www.jtactical.com/AR-15-80-Lower-Adjustable-Universal-Jig-Kit_p_16.html
very nice..

then i saw the post from Modulus Arms..   and I liked the idea of Zeroing your jig.. so I got
http://www.modulusarms.com/modulus-arms-ar-15-ar-10-ultimate-builders-kit/...
been very happy with this...  and with this set up .. you can get by with a good vise  and a good router
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:01:09 PM EDT
[#15]
another vote for the modulus jig. works great
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:46:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I am the customer service/tech rep for Modulus. If anyone has any questions regarding these jigs or processing your lower please get in touch.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool! Thanks! How's business?

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:01:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Just finished a lower last night with a modulus jig. I managed to figure it out so I'm sure anyone can. I bought it after reading the review on it here.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:29:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:27:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Cool! Thanks! How's business?  
View Quote

Excellent, Thank You.
We are releasing our new billet lower very soon. Couple of other new items are getting close too.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top