Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2015 2:31:34 PM EDT
I'm looking to build a "featureless" AR-15 based on the SCR traditional-stocked lower; goal is to build a rifle I can take to any state without being inconvenienced by "assault weapon bans". I would like to include a muzzle device on mine, permanently affixed to a 14.5" barrel if I can find an MD I like long enough, otherwise a 16".

The muzzle device cannot be in any way a flash-suppressor. The exact definition of an FS is pretty loose, but I figure if I use CA's stance that should be the closest to anything official. Here's a neat list of a ton of MDs, with opinions as to whether or not they are CA-legal: https://sites.google.com/site/featurelessrifleguide/muzzle-devices This would be easier if I were looking for an MD with the priority of reducing recoil, since that's easier to objectively measure. TTAG has a really detailed review of 35 different MDs, and how much recoil they showed on a standardized sled test: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/tag/linear-compensator/

However, since I'm just shooting 5.56 and not doing any run/gun competing where split-second shots are vital, I'm not really concerned about how much recoil an MD reduces. Instead, to make shooting more enjoyable (especially with skittish new shooters) I'd like something that has minimal concussion and noise. I realize that all non-suppressor items don't officially/literally reduce noise overall, just redirect it, but that's just fine by me if the paper targets downrange are bearing the brunt of the concussion, rather than me or people to the sides of me. I've heard of some comps described as being "practically suppressors" from the shooter's perspective, and that's what I'm aiming for, within the bounds of not being an FS and of course not being actually a suppressor.

Anyone have any suggestions as to which muzzle devices, which even CA would consider legal, would best reduce the noise and concussion as experienced by the folks on the firing line?

Ones I've googled up that are particularly mentioned as being quiet:
[ul]
  • Levang Linear Compensator (apparently the model many later comps are based on)

• JAL Linear Compensator

• Troy Claymore

• Tactical Low Concussion CQB

• Gentry Quiet Muzzle Brake

• Griffin Armament M4SD

• KIES Blast Master Linear Compensator

• HERA Arms Gen 2 Linear

• Kaw Valley Linear Comp

• FERFRANS CQB

• Black River Tactical Covert Comp

• PRI Quiet Control Brake

• [*][/li]

Vuurwapen did a much of studies of muzzle devices for flash/rise/noise, but it didn't have a lot of the compensators I'm looking at, and the few MDs it lists as quieter than a bare barrel or A2 are all non-CA-legal. Still neat charts though:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20140218095058/http://vuurwapenblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/splear.jpg
    http://web.archive.org/web/20140218094243/http://vuurwapenblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/spl1meter.jpg

Thinks like the PWC CQB, Battlecomp, Noveske Pig, etc are considered verboten in CA, so those ones are out.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:24:56 PM EDT
    [#1]
    I have the Troy Claymore.

I does exactly what it was designed to do.

All the flash and sound goes in the direction of the target, It is very noticeably more quiet behind and to the side of it compared to an A2

I think any linear comp will do the same thing. I picked the Claymore because it is steel and will take a beating, some of them are aluminum, which will impact how you permanently attach it.
    Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:23:31 PM EDT
    [#2]
    I have used several of the KIES Blast Master Comps and I really like them. I also have Levang Linear comps and the KIES is a better product. You can get the KIES Here
    Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:27:54 PM EDT
    [#3]
    Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
    Quoted:
    I have used several of the KIES Blast Master Comps and I really like them. I also have Levang Linear comps and the KIES is a better product. You can get the KIES Here
    View Quote

Availability: This item is no longer available
    Link Posted: 4/3/2015 2:59:47 PM EDT
    [#4]
    CA law carefully does not endorse any muzzle devices as NOT being flash hiders.  Lacking DOJ definition, my take on this is if the manufacturer does not mention "flash" in the description of their product or does use "brake/compensator" then you are good to go here in CA.  If it is not intended to diminish flash and does divert gasses upward, outward, or forward then it is not a flash hider.  Let the DOJ prove you wrong for your selection of a device.  Just be sure and permanently attach it so the "threaded barrel" feature is eliminated.

Going "featureless" just so you can use Hi-Cap mags seems like a lot of wasted effort to me.  You end up with dumb looking stocks or grips.  Also be sure that you owned the hi-cap mags you use before 1 Jan 2000 or they are illegal.  Magpuls will not cut it, they did not exist before that date.  Careful of GI mags with date stamps on them as well.

Reconsider just going the OLL / BB / 10-round mag route instead.  The rifle looks absolutely normal.  Here's a 300 BLK I recently finished...looks pretty normal to me and perfectly legal here.  

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 5:23:29 PM EDT
    [#5]
    You look to be overthinking here. everything is legal in ca except suppressors minus the "special people"

Featureless means only a brake. NO flash suppression characteristics.

So almost everything works. Most quiet. get a linear comp. Brake means loud. Even with the lame shields. The shields will reduce how well the brake can function.
    Link Posted: 4/3/2015 5:44:25 PM EDT
    [#6]
    There is a thread over at 68forums.com on the JAL Linear that ARP just came out with. I just received one for a 6.8 SBR but do not have it built yet. I do know that the 556/223 ones are not available yet.
    Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:32:03 PM EDT
    [#7]
    Quoted:
    CA law carefully does not endorse any muzzle devices as NOT being flash hiders.  Lacking DOJ definition, my take on this is if the manufacturer does not mention "flash" in the description of their product or does use "brake/compensator" then you are good to go here in CA.  If it is not intended to diminish flash and does divert gasses upward, outward, or forward then it is not a flash hider.  Let the DOJ prove you wrong for your selection of a device.  Just be sure and permanently attach it so the "threaded barrel" feature is eliminated.

Going "featureless" just so you can use Hi-Cap mags seems like a lot of wasted effort to me.  You end up with dumb looking stocks or grips.  Also be sure that you owned the hi-cap mags you use before 1 Jan 2000 or they are illegal.  Magpuls will not cut it, they did not exist before that date.  Careful of GI mags with date stamps on them as well.

Reconsider just going the OLL / BB / 10-round mag route instead.  The rifle looks absolutely normal.  Here's a 300 BLK I recently finished...looks pretty normal to me and perfectly legal here.  

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG_73692.JPG
    View Quote

Actually, you cannot use your full capacity magazines in a post ban gun even if you owned the magazines before the ban.... Also, you can use the flash suppressors and every other so called "evil" feature on post ban guns as long as you are using a bullet button. If you have a normal magazine release button, you must have an otherwise featureless weapon. Meaning, no bayonet lug, no pistol grip, no flash suppressor, no collapsible stock, no forward grip..... Luckily for me, I own a preban registered assault weapon. All my other AR's are bullet button equipped....

Can't say that for the AK, had to install a Monster-Man grip on my SLG-23 to make it featureless so I could install a regular magazine release. In the state where it currently resides, it has lots of evil features on it.... Unfortunately, I will have to remove all those features before I bring it back home next month
    Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:35:05 PM EDT
    [#8]
    OP,
    I use these https://store.ar15.com/product.html?cat=45&pr=650 they make them for 14.5 and 16" barrels. Few can tell its a compensator and not a flash suppressor. It's simplicity. -W
    Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:39:23 PM EDT
    [#9]
    Quoted:

Actually, you cannot use your full capacity magazines in a post ban gun even if you owned the magazines before the ban.... Also, you can use the flash suppressors and every other so called "evil" feature on post ban guns as long as you are using a bullet button. If you have a normal magazine release button, you must have an otherwise featureless weapon. Meaning, no bayonet lug, no pistol grip, no flash suppressor, no collapsible stock, no forward grip..... Luckily for me, I own a preban registered assault weapon. All my other AR's are bullet button equipped....

Can't say that for the AK, had to install a Monster-Man grip on my SLG-23 to make it featureless so I could install a regular magazine release. In the state where it currently resides, it has lots of evil features on it.... Unfortunately, I will have to remove all those features before I bring it back home next month
    View Quote View All Quotes
    View All Quotes
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG_73692.JPG

Actually, you CAN use your high capacity magazines with NO bullet button on any rifle that meets the featureless requirements (that means no evil features), and doesn't trip assault weapon status. California doesn't even recognize pre-ban or post ban guns. Also, bayonet lugs are NOT an evil feature. I don't know where you come up with these things.

ETA Evil Features:
    Collapsible stock
    Thumbhole stock
    Folding stock
    Pistol grip
    Forward grip
    Flash suppressor
    Flare or grenade launcher.
    Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:30:29 PM EDT
    [#10]
    After reading some recent muzzle device comparisons I'll probably just stick with the standard bird cage unless I need something special or need a brake.

As a Californian, having a billet button and 10rd magazine aren't that crazy. Yeah I'd like 30 and a simple and release, but at least we can have them. I think any rifle that you can have in MD you can have in CA, but someone in MD would have to verify .
    Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
    AR Sponsor: bravocompany
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top