Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2015 11:14:51 PM EDT
I see a bunch of take-off front sight bases for sale.  How would you go about installing one that's already got the holes reamed?  I can see the benefit of saving thirty bucks, but it seems like it'd be far easier to just get a fresh, un-drilled one.  Would you ream it the next size up, and use a larger taper pin?  That'd be my guess.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:57:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I see a bunch of take-off front sight bases for sale.  How would you go about installing one that's already got the holes reamed?  I can see the benefit of saving thirty bucks, but it seems like it'd be far easier to just get a fresh, un-drilled one.  Would you ream it the next size up, and use a larger taper pin?  That'd be my guess.
View Quote

Those are junk IMO.
They have been separated from their original barrel.....these were unique pairs.

It is possible to tinker with one and possibly get it to work, but a professional gunsmith would start with a virgin FSB.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:35:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Easier to start with a fresh FSB. I've welded up old Colt A1 FSB's as well to reuse.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I suspected they wouldn't be worth the trouble.  Although I have seen a fellow using the top half as a front sight on a tactical shotgun barrel.  Sort of like the Mossberg 930 SPX.  

I can see welding up to salvage an historic part, but that's a lot of work.  You'd still have to ream the ID after you were done in order to make it fit properly.  

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:28:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Without a lot of experience, you need a mill with DROs to do it in any reasonable amount of time with success.  I'm no machinist, but I've successfully mated both new FSBs to predrilled barrels and predrilled FSBs to new barrels.   Predrilled FSB to new barrel is pretty painless with the right tools.  Either is much easier than mating unmatched predrilled both.  That's just not worth the time.

Without some experience and the right tools, its probably just not worth it all together.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I suspected they wouldn't be worth the trouble.  Although I have seen a fellow using the top half as a front sight on a tactical shotgun barrel.  Sort of like the Mossberg 930 SPX.  

I can see welding up to salvage an historic part, but that's a lot of work.  You'd still have to ream the ID after you were done in order to make it fit properly.  

View Quote

The Dremel is your friend.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:07:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Without a lot of experience, you need a mill with DROs to do it in any reasonable amount of time with success.  I'm no machinist, but I've successfully mated both new FSBs to predrilled barrels and predrilled FSBs to new barrels.   Predrilled FSB to new barrel is pretty painless with the right tools.  Either is much easier than mating unmatched predrilled both.  That's just not worth the time.

Without some experience and the right tools, its probably just not worth it all together.
View Quote

I've done undrilled FSB's on a pre drilled barrel using my BRD Engineering FSB jig and a mini mill with out DRO's by lining up the spindle with the cuts in the barrel, slip on FSB and then drilling the holes. Worked fine. Never messed with pre cut FSB's, fear of ending up over reamed.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top