Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2015 8:03:51 PM EDT
I am searching for an armorer's tool kit for my first AR build. I purchased a complete upper but need to put together the lower parts kit. I have zero tools and need suggestions for the best kit that has everything I'll need to put the LPK together. I'd like to stay under $300. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:21:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never seen a "kit" that I would buy....don't think a good, complete one exists....and there's too many variables to make everyone happy.
Most of us piece together the tools that we like or can afford.
1) How many ARs are you going to build ?
2) Develop a "dream list" of AR tools
3) Prune the "dream list" down to what you really want to buy.

Some skip the specialty tools, while others use what they find in the garage and kitchen junk drawer.
Yet others have no shame in raiding their wife's "Ladies Tool Box" of picture hanging and gardening gizmos to augment their AR tool collection.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:31:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Bare Minimum: Set of punches, phillips and flat head screwdrivers, armorer's wrench, allen wrenches. With those, you can put together a lower. Granted: there are some tools that would be nice, but if you are not planning on building a bunch of rifles, these will do.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:33:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, which ones would be nice to add?
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#4]
You can get the Wheeler's basic kit for $100, comes with upper and lower vise block, ar specific wrench, torque wrench and miscellaneous tools.

It's all decent stuff and you can buy more stuff to supplement it.  You'll definitely need a set of punches to go with it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:41:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a set of quality roll pin punches and a 6oz hammer. A vise and a mag block will help a lot.  The only other item you really need is a decent stock wrench.  I have a junk promag or something, a decent tapco and I the magpul that I hate to love.  Buy once cry once if you plan to build more than one.  If you buy too cheap, you may not want to build another.  

Most enthusiasts share the love, literally.  Check your HTF, make friends.  These will be good friends to have.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:41:46 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are in the DFW area, let me know. I can help ya out with a few tools.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:08:29 PM EDT
[#7]
1/4 clevis pin from the hardware store.  Makes installing the pivot pin a breeze.

Eta video
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:04:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Slickest video EVA!!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:39:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Where has that idea been could have saved some time over the years.

One thing I would recommend is roll pin punch holders. Its like having a 3rd hand which comes in handy to get those roll pins started.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, which ones would be nice to add?
View Quote

This one will make installing the bolt catch pin a breeze and will prevent you from scratching your receiver in the process.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/bolt-tools/dissassembly-tools/bolt-catch-pin-punch-prod26484.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR-15zz1zzM4
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:18:37 PM EDT
[#11]
The clevis pin idea is pretty sweet, although I've just been using another punch in a fairly similar manner--without the fancy hole in the punch.  It works in a pinch, if you don't have a 1/4" clevis pin handy.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:45:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I just went through the same thing when buying tools for my build.  I ended up getting a PRI barrel nut wrench and Grace punches from Amazon, and the Promag Vice kit and Schuster roll pin starters from Midway.  About $100 in all.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Great video post! Wish there was a way to give you some credit for a great idea.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:41:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Great video post! Wish there was a way to give you some credit for a great idea.
View Quote

Using the clevis pin was shown to me in an AR15 Armorer course I took a couple years ago.  Greg "Sully" Sullivan from Defensive Edge training showed us this trick.  I'm not sure if he come up with it or picked it up from someone else.  I found the video to demonstrate the technique.   I've learned a ton from this site by folks sharing knowledge like this and wanted to contribute.  If anyone gets a chance, they should take one of his courses, he's an excellent instructor and an industry partner here on the site.

http://www.thedefensiveedge.com/
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:19:57 AM EDT
[#15]
I like the Tapco armorer's wrench. I've done numerous builds and barrel changes with it, and have not had any problems with it. ~$45

The Grace roll pin punches (with nubs on the tip to stay centered on the roll pin) are well worth their cost. I have the short and long versions; the short ones are good for getting pins started or breaking stubborn pins loose, and the long ones are good for limited clearance areas. ~$30 each for long and short versions

If you're installing quad rails, a 6" or so picatinny riser block is handy to have. Install it so it is bridging the rail on the upper and the handguard, and it will help keep the rail aligned properly with the upper while tightening it down. You don't need a super expensive one; get the cheapest one you can find that will clamp to the rail correctly.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:56:13 PM EDT
[#16]
A few of my "A-listers" are...
Brownells Bolt Catch specific roll pin punch
Grace roll pin punch set (superb quality)
Brownells roll pin starters
Brownells clamshell (receiver fixture)
Gem State Armory armorer's wrench (THE BEST)
Schuster Delrin Pin Pushers (must have)
Y/M bolt vice (bolt ejector tool)
Sinclair magwell vice block.....machined UHMW (not injection-molded ka-rap)
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just went through the same thing when buying tools for my build.  I ended up getting a PRI barrel nut wrench and Grace punches from Amazon, and the Promag Vice kit and Schuster roll pin starters from Midway.  About $100 in all.
View Quote

+1 on the PRI Barrel nut wrench, it is by far one of the best purchases I have made.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:03:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

+1 on the PRI Barrel nut wrench, it is by far one of the best purchases I have made.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're nice, but their flaw is that they are a "closed end" wrench.
If you're working with a barrel that has a pinned FSB, you're SOL with the PRI wrench.
The Spikes is a modified PRI with an open end....solves the issue.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top