Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2015 3:07:37 PM EDT
Ok guys...I've been on here reading, but I'm still pretty nervous to get started.  I have an upper and a lower that I've been keeping an eye on.  I think I'm ready to start....but where do I start?  Is there  checklist somewhere so I don't order my upper and lower and then find out I need something else?  The only AR i've owned I bought as a complete rifle.  I've noticed shopping around you can get alot more rifle for your money if you build your own. Just wondering what I need to make sure I have before I purchase?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 3:12:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Am I right to assume that a complete upper and lower will give you a complete rifle?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, a complete upper and a complete lower will yield a complete rifle. Just make sure that the complete upper comes with BCG and charging handle. I have seen some that do not.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 6:00:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, a complete upper and a complete lower will yield a complete rifle. Just make sure that the complete upper comes with BCG and charging handle. I have seen some that do not.
View Quote

This ^^^ Confirm in the uppers description. Sometimes complete isn't as complete as one would believe.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#5]
What are you trying to accomplish? Do you want to spend the time to pick and choose each part, then gather all the parts and assemble them into a complete rifle yourself or just buy an upper/lower of your choice then slap them together? If you're looking at the latter then you might as well just buy a complete rifle 'cuz this doesn't constitute building a gun... Well, technically, neither does the first option, its' just assembling a bunch of parts.

If you really want to start from scratch and choose every little part that goes into your gun, then start with a lower receiver of your liking. Decide on billet or forged and order what you like...have it shipped to your local FFL
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#6]
First thing I would do is visit some local gun stores, find one that isnt manned by asshats.   Buy your lower (AR15 stripped lower) from them, should run $60-$120 bucks depending on the brand name of the lower.

That is your registered part.

Everything else can be bought on the internet and shipped to your house.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:42:11 PM EDT
[#7]
First thing you need is a lower and a lower parts kit, a buffer tube, buffer spring and buffer.  Get that out of the way first, then worry about the stock and the upper receiver.  Also don't forget tools, punches, torque wrench (I didn't bother) and extra springs and detents incase you lose some.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#9]
post up your build list and people can chime in and make suggestions or corrections
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#10]
i bought stripped  up&lower $80, barrel $80 (classc arms has good barrel deals) then you can buy upper&lower parts from psa or similair. Then wtvr bolt of your choosing. If you shop around you can get an ar put together for pretty cheap and its how you want which is nice. Im in the process of doing a midlength, pistol and ar10. Lower assembly is pretty easy the upper i'll probably have a smith do as i dont have a bench etc to trq the barrel but that should be more than $20-30
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:31:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:12:59 AM EDT
[#12]
First, what do you want?  If it is a M4 just go buy one.  If not make a use/feature list.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:23:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I went with stripped lower, and complete upper. With the amount i spent i could have bought one but its not as fun and you dont get to pick what parts go in it.. I ordered everything and waiting till i have all the parts so i can start building.

Tips depending on your budget:
Go with 7075t6 buffer tube its a little more expensive but more durable.

Depending if u want a drop in rail or free floating... Free floating you have to remove barrel to install or go with a 2 piece free float which you dont do any gun smithing to install, drop in well just drops in

Bcm sells complete uppers comes with free bcg and free muzzle and u can add a charging handle for 39.99 dont know how true this is but supposedly bcms bcg is full auto capable which is a kinda cool feature even its illegal to have a full auto weapon

Decide wether u want mid-length or carbine

Spikes lpk comes with a couple extra parts incase one flies off

And have fun building.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top