Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2015 2:13:42 PM EDT
I finally got all the parts to start putting my pistol build together...

Any recommendations regarding if and/or what to use locktite on? From my current research, I understand that I should NOT use it anywhere, but I would like the opinion/experiences of someone that has built a rifle/pistol before...

Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:29:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I use just a small drop of blue on most threads. Not the barrel nut, obviously.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:12:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
This, just the blue stuff. I use it on the castle nut and don't stake them, never had a problem yet and if I want to swap out endplates I can do it without removing a stake.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:41:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This, just the blue stuff. I use it on the castle nut and don't stake them, never had a problem yet and if I want to swap out endplates I can do it without removing a stake.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with these guys especially for screws that hold optics unless QD.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:46:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah only use blue if you must use some. Only place you might want to use it would be on the castle nut if using a collapsible stock. Of course you can also just stake the castle nut like you would the gas carrier key screws. Or use some blue locktite if added a scope, put a drop on the scope ring screws. Use Rockset for muzzle threads if using a flash hider for a suppressor because rockset can handle the high temp heat better than locktite. The barrel nut should use anti-seize grease.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted: The barrel nut should use anti-seize grease.
View Quote

Agreed. I also like to use anti-sieze compound on the receiver extension, if the rifle has a fixed stock.

For a collapsible stock, a dab of thread locker works. I also use thread locker on FFHG locking rings, and bolt-on gas blocks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:41:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I've read plenty of threads here about locktite. Most say never use it but others have different opinions. I used the red on my gas block set screws. I didn't put any on my buffer tube castle nut because I gave it pretty good tug when it went on and I figured if it ever loosens up, I'll throw it in the vise block and decide at that time if I want to locktite it.  I didn't stake it either because I'm not taking this rifle to a war, or at least I hope I never have to.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I've only used it on gas blocks with set screws
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:08:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Agreed. I also like to use anti-sieze compound on the receiver extension, if the rifle has a fixed stock.

For a collapsible stock, a dab of thread locker works. I also use thread locker on FFHG locking rings, and bolt-on gas blocks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: The barrel nut should use anti-seize grease.

I used locktite on castle nuts in the past................ had to remove one a while back. Tube turned with the nut, anti rotation tab on the end plate ripped through the threads. Mess! I just use a spring loaded center punch to stake the end plate now.

There are things I will locktite, for example I am doing a build with an Armalite clamp on FSB, I will use red locktite after I get it zeroed.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Personally I don't use the stuff except on adjustable trigger screws.  Nothing is worse than ruining parts trying to get a gun apart that's glued together with this shit.  It is not necessary.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I use the red high strength Loctite on barrel nut external FF jam nuts, FF tubes, rail screws, anything I don't want to unscrew during use or in the near future.  I use it sparingly, just a drop or two. -W.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top