Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:27:17 PM EDT
[#1]
What diameter of barrel are you using?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:47:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I agree with Pudwak, i already shot u an email saying if u ever do a run i'm in for one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I agree with Pudwak, i already shot u an email saying if u ever do a run i'm in for one.

May be in the cards

Quoted:

5/8x24 muzzle threads, ~.720 back to the .750 gas block land, ~.950 at the barrel extension.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:49:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
May be in the cards
5/8x24 muzzle threads, ~.720 back to the .750 gas block land, ~.950 at the barrel extension.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

May be in the cards

Quoted:

It would be cool to get one working with Serbu's new upper but it doesn't seem like you could get the gas block back far enough.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:01:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

AND I agree with Pudwak and Aeneas...I would be in for one also! Now, I have to check and see if they make a 5/8-24 thread piston for my Osprey 45 can.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:21:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

AND I agree with Pudwak and Aeneas...I would be in for one also! Now, I have to check and see if they make a 5/8-24 thread piston for my Osprey 45 can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe one day soon-ish
As far as muzzle threads, that's not anything set in stone except for my prototype.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 3:22:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:56:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Depending on price, I would be in for one. That is slick as owl shit.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Is there any chance your could break that upper down or just some more detailed pics on how the action functions. I think that it is awesome but I'm having a difficult time figureing out how it operates.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 6:50:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is there any chance your could break that upper down or just some more detailed pics on how the action functions. I think that it is awesome but I'm having a difficult time figureing out how it operates.
View Quote

Maybe later, the gas key is replaced with a sleeve up to the charging handle, and locks into it with a spring loaded pin, so the charging handle is reciprocating.
The charging handle rides on two 1/4" rods that are housed in the top of the upper and underneath the top rail.  The dual action springs ride on these rods.
There's only one way to assemble the upper that doesn't take 3+ thumbs but once you figure it out it's fairly straightforward.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:35:26 PM EDT
[#10]
So does the key go straight into the gas block or is it just "hooded" with a gas tube with the hood being what the charging handles attach to? The BCG looks like a standard BCG, is the tail just cut off with a shortened buffer and/or some sort of plug so it just makes a short stroke in the upper?
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:49:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So does the key go straight into the gas block or is it just "hooded" with a gas tube with the hood being what the charging handles attach to? The BCG looks like a standard BCG, is the tail just cut off with a shortened buffer and/or some sort of plug so it just makes a short stroke in the upper?
View Quote

The gas key extends over the 1/4" gas tube, which is welded to the top of the gas block.  The bottom of the gas key is slotted to go around the head of the gas block up to the charging handle.  The gas block is basically right against the barrel nut(s).  The carrier was shortened and the stroke was also shortened, didn't really need full stroke for a forward mag pistol caliber, and that allowed for more compact springs.  I welded some weight back on later, and the next round would not be shortened quite so much.  The carrier strikes a delrin/rubber bumper in the receiver cap threaded into the lower.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 9:57:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the explanation, makes much more sense now. If you ever build some uppers for sale let me know. And just a thought on the lowers, you could always modify the mag well on a 80% lower and sell it that way. I would probably even pay for the plans do make it (upper and lower). I recently made a 80% lower with a drill press and I'm saving up for a mill, but I am learning as I go and it'll take me a long time before I try to make something with out a reference to go off of. All of these projects really intrigue me and it's a big part of why I think the ar platform is awesome.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:18:06 AM EDT
[#13]
bump to save from archives...

Getting married soon, so you know where that spare time goes...  I'm full of excuses these days
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I feel that, I tied the knot in December 31 2014.

I'm doing a little tinkering making my own long stroke piston rig. Nice to see your threads still progressing(long time lurker )
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:25:43 AM EDT
[#15]
That looks awesome. My only question is the stock in the way when its collapsed? It looks like its in the way of the shells ejecting?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:59:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That looks awesome. My only question is the stock in the way when its collapsed? It looks like its in the way of the shells ejecting?
View Quote

It's far enough away from the port when it's folded that the brass skips over it.  Occasionally one will bounce off and fall straight down, but it hasn't been an issue.
I've got a stop on the handguard that keeps the stock parallel to the receiver and won't let it collapse closer.
It might be an issue if you laid it on it's left side with the stock folded.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:47:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm pretty sure that I need one of these. Preferably in 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:49:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's always the MPX
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:34:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

There's always the MPX
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's always the MPX

This is a tech forum, no jokes allowed. Besides, that wasn't even close to being funny.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:30:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I played around with some stocks and ended up putting the Nordic from my avatar on it and the folder on the 10" 5.56. Seems a better fit all around.  Now i want to play with some telescoping kydex cheek rest ideas. ...
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:00:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I think i like them both better like this...
forgive the nasty shop door

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Those look awesome, you still have me down for an upper right lol
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:45:55 AM EDT
[#23]
what brand of folding stock is that?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:48:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
what brand of folding stock is that?
View Quote

The side folder on the rifle is an ACE, as is the folding mechanism.
I made the thread adapter for the lower, as the ACE adapters were either too long for my taste or didn't leave me room for a bolt bumper
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a 7" Serbu SU15 upper on order and I am looking for a good folding stock to put on it. I would like a wire stock but not sure where to locate one.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:00:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have a 7" Serbu SU15 upper on order and I am looking for a good folding stock to put on it. I would like a wire stock but not sure where to locate one.
View Quote

What kind of bolt bumper does the SU15 use? I've seen some pics but hard to tell for sure.

Serbu makes this one for the PDW version, don't know if they'd sell it to you separately.

Looking at the butt geometry and buttpad, It looks like an ACE copy, except the whole thing is billet.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#27]
They basically took an AK inner workings and put them in an AR.

I want a smooth transition from the receiver to the stock like the AGP folding stock. Where did you get the wire stock?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Amazing!!!!  very impressive work. s

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They basically took an AK inner workings and put them in an AR.

I want a smooth transition from the receiver to the stock like the AGP folding stock. Where did you get the wire stock?
View Quote

it's a Nordic Components stock, but they're discontinued. I got in on the first sample run when they posted here on ARF.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:29:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Any info on how you made the magwell?

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 2:14:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Any info on how you made the magwell?

View Quote

It's just a chunk of billet i hogged out on the mill.  I made a single point broach to form the magwell corners.
Bolts into the lower through the trigger pocket.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 1:18:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Is this the same build as your "I'm Building a PDR, Let the Chips Fly!" Thread?
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 2:29:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Is this the same build as your "I'm Building a PDR, Let the Chips Fly!" Thread?
View Quote

Haha no...
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:09:02 PM EDT
[#34]
This upper on a Glock mag lower would be so so cool.  

I also would pawn stuff, and sell blood to buy one from you.

And congrats on the nuptials.

Link Posted: 5/31/2015 7:59:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This upper on a Glock mag lower would be so so cool.  

I also would pawn stuff, and sell blood to buy one from you.

And congrats on the nuptials.
View Quote

Who's blood?  
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What kind of bolt bumper does the SU15 use? I've seen some pics but hard to tell for sure.

Serbu makes this one for the PDW version, don't know if they'd sell it to you separately.
http://i.imgur.com/ZbaLYEd.jpg

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/iB1iyvGvc-Q/hqdefault.jpg

Looking at the butt geometry and buttpad, It looks like an ACE copy, except the whole thing is billet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/ZbaLYEd.jpg

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/iB1iyvGvc-Q/hqdefault.jpg

These look awesome!
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 11:03:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Enjoyed this.....as always your work is exceptional.............
Rudy
View Quote

Welcome back!
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 12:28:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Ran a few mags through the .45 today after our local 2-Gun, no issues with that nasty silver bear ammo and some reloads except when a friend put his thumb up and stopped the charging handle from cycling.

And no, that's not FA
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 12:51:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Ran a few mags through the .45 today after our local 2-Gun, no issues with that nasty silver bear ammo and some reloads except when a friend put his thumb up and stopped the charging handle from cycling.

http://youtu.be/HcFs5lGl1uk

And no, that's not FA
View Quote

Nice work, keep it up!
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 10:33:36 AM EDT
[#41]
That is amazingly cool. Looks like the perfect gun I would want in my truck. The only way I see it getting better is non-reciprocating charging, but that is just some users preference.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Still waiting for a production version
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:03:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Does that rail on top mount to the upper and give you the front charging handle? Is it available or something you made?

*edit*
nevermind that i was able to see swan sleeve and I am back to being disappointed that I cant have an upper like that

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:42:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Does that rail on top mount to the upper and give you the front charging handle? Is it available or something you made?

*edit*
nevermind that i was able to see swan sleeve and I am back to being disappointed that I cant have an upper like that

View Quote

Haha yep, just a chopped up .308 Swan Sleeve

It does house the action springs, guide rods and charging handle.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Breaking the new wife in right

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 1:11:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Took it too 100yd at lunch, all I had was Silver Bear FMJ and some Rem UMC HP.

The Silver Bear strung vertically over about 10", but the UMC gave me about a 6" group with 10 shots, which I suppose is very respectable for a FF2 on a 5" .45 using a GG mag as a monopod.
I will say I had better groups than some of the fudds making their annual sight-in trip before deer season .
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Great work man, Thats an amazing little toy that I would love to waste some money on
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:16:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Any welding on the upper, or is it all bolt together?  Fantastic little gun...
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:42:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Any welding on the upper, or is it all bolt together?  Fantastic little gun...
View Quote

Just a bit of TIG on the gas key, but that's it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top