Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2014 3:42:00 PM EDT
I have a14.5 pinned LMT upper that i'd like ot install a Geissele rail onto. I am probably going to want to chop down the A2 gas block into a low-pro, but would the new barrel nut clear it ok?

I'd rather not go through the hassle of removing and re-pinning the barrel.

Any help would be great.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:49:09 PM EDT
[#1]
No, you have to remove the gasblock to do this
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:53:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

so I can't do something like this?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sBqDpi-Cb4

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#3]
A barrel nut will not clear the gas block. It has to be removed.

If you pick up a handguard that uses the stock barrel nut then you can. Troy Alpha, Samson Evolution, Rainier Arms Evo Keymod, and Daniel Defense all are good handguards that will use the stock barrel nut.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sBqDpi-Cb4

If you don't want to remove that pinned flash hider, you are going to have to use a HG that uses the standard barrel nut.  There are several out there.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If you don't want to remove that pinned flash hider, you are going to have to use a HG that uses the standard barrel nut.  There are several out there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can, it's just gunna be a pain in the ass. may just sell the upper....
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well certainly isn't much trouble cutting down the FSB and adding a rail of your choice that accepts a std nut.  I wouldn't sell a LMT for that small issue.  And the G. rail is no light weight btw, I opt for something else.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Well certainly isn't much trouble cutting down the FSB and adding a rail of your choice that accepts a std nut.  I wouldn't sell a LMT for that small issue.  And the G. rail is no light weight btw, I opt for something else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

was thinking about taking the centurion c4 off my colt and using it on the LMT and putting a new one on the colt. I do like the G rails, though...

i may just get the flashhider removed locally (or do it myself)
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#8]
For me it wouldn't be worth the hassle cutting off the FH considering the large choice of rails on the market today.  If you remove the FH then you have to buy another muzzle device and get it pinned/welded adding to the cost of the rebuild, run the risk of something else getting screwed up along the way.  But as my dad use to say "it's only money", in the end you are going to do with it what you want but it's the degree of hassle that is involved could be dramatically reduced.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:31:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For me it wouldn't be worth the hassle cutting off the FH considering the large choice of rails on the market today.  If you remove the FH then you have to buy another muzzle device and get it pinned/welded adding to the cost of the rebuild, run the risk of something else getting screwed up along the way.  But as my dad use to say "it's only money", in the end you are going to do with it what you want but it's the degree of hassle that is involved could be dramatically reduced.
View Quote

i wanna go freefloat with at least 12 inches of rail.  the only real option I like it the centurion c4. if there are other comparable options out there similar to the c4, i am all ears!
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#10]
So, i am going to do this myself. I don't care about losing the brake because its a cheap part. I am just gunna cut through it length-wise on both sides and pry it off. It seems to be the way least likely to damage the threads.

Got a URX 3.1 rail system ready to go for this upper, just need a new muzzle device
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 3:42:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Actually that is pretty much guaranteed to damage the barrel threads. You'll have to cut into the barrel threads to cut the FH threads enough to pry off. And if you don't you'have to use enough force you'll either bend the barrel, shear off the barrel indexing pin, or damage the upper.

This sounds like a complete clusterfuck waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#12]
The threads will get messed up a bit either way. from what ive watched and read, the method i want to use is the least "destructive" out there.

Will also be removing the barrel from the upper before going it and using a vise.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:23:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Update to this post. muzzle device removal was an outstanding success!

A local machine shop guy got it off w/o harming the threads one bit. What was harder and took much longer was getting the gas block and barrel nut off.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:45:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Actually that is pretty much guaranteed to damage the barrel threads. You'll have to cut into the barrel threads to cut the FH threads enough to pry off. And if you don't you'have to use enough force you'll either bend the barrel, shear off the barrel indexing pin, or damage the upper.

This sounds like a complete clusterfuck waiting to happen.
View Quote

Obviously you've done this before?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

A local machine shop guy got it off w/o harming the threads one bit. What was harder and took much longer was getting the gas block and barrel nut off.
View Quote

A $10 dremel saw and patience works too. Just saying.  I cut three off in 20 minutes and I have zero talents in gunsmithing.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 5:59:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

A $10 dremel saw and patience works too. Just saying.  I cut three off in 20 minutes and I have zero talents in gunsmithing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i could have dremeled it, but it was nice meeting a local guy... who is now a resource for me. :)
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

i could have dremeled it, but it was nice meeting a local guy... who is now a resource for me. :)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Always good to have another cconnect.  Post pics when your done.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rifle is super light weight. I LOVE the URX 3.1 rail. In my opinion, it's a perfect rail setup. I just did not enjoy the install. It was quite difficult.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 2:41:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks good!
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Looks good!
View Quote

Thanks. it's by far my favorite rifle. Just needs a raptor and the ACOG from my other rifle and it'll be set.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Very nice looking rifle, I was thinking something very similar on the one that I am currently building.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Very nice looking rifle, I was thinking something very similar on the one that I am currently building.
View Quote

Thanks. i've done a handful of changes to it since the pics were taken. ambi safety, troy BUIS and a rock river match trigger. This was my first complete build and the rifle i take the most pride in.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top