Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2014 11:07:48 PM EDT
First time poster but have been doing a lot of reading here:

I am thinking through building my first AR and am toying with the idea of a .300blackout because I don't have money for more than one gun, I don't shoot terribly often and I think I'd like something more than 5.56 for doing some eventual hog hunting down south.  This is not a home defense weapon, a tactical shooting weapon, but a fun range gun (again, not a high volume shooter), and hog gun.

My question is, if I were to go with the .300, and I could be convinced not to go that way, what length gas system have you seen, or used, if shooting supersonic, unsuppressed?

Thanks,

Bill

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:34:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Stick with the pistol length gas systems to be 100% reliable with supersonic and subsonic.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:55:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stick with the pistol length gas systems to be 100% reliable with supersonic and subsonic.

View Quote

This if you're going with the 300, but...

If this is your first AR, I'd go with 5.56.  There are a number of great loads for it.

Then add a 300 upper down the road.

Also, welcome to the forum.

(ps. I own both 5.56's and 300)
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Pistol length, the round was developed with this gas system for both suppressed and supersonic shooting.
Love my 300 Blk.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:00:46 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are going with a 16" barrel, having the pistol gas length allows you to shoot both supers and subs if you so choose. If you are just going to shoot supers and using a 16" barrel, you can go with a carbine length without issues but be advised if you should decide to shoot subs, you may have cycling issues.

If you are going with a shorter barrel than 16", definitely go with a pistol gas length.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you are going with a 16" barrel, having the pistol gas length allows you to shoot both supers and subs if you so choose. If you are just going to shoot supers and using a 16" barrel, you can go with a carbine length without issues but be advised if you should decide to shoot subs, you may have cycling issues.

If you are going with a shorter barrel than 16", definitely go with a pistol gas length.
View Quote

This...and if you are going with 16", get a SOTA Arms barrel ($137).  They are fantastic.  Mine runs with a standard C buffer, and I have no problems out of it.  Works great on deer with Barnes Vor-TX bullets.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys. I appreciate the info.  I guess another question would be if you only had one all-around and could not afford a complete rifle and then an upper down the road, would the 5.56 be a better all-around cartridge (I know this is subject to a lot of opinion) for my purposes of some target shooting and some hog hunting?  Is the 5.56 capable of doing the job on hogs with the heavier loads?  I have a buddy that was a Marine and said the 5.56 tends to ricochet inside the body cavity and can destroy some of the meat.  Should this be of concern?

Thanks again.

Bill
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:04:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If this is your first AR, I'd go with 5.56.  There are a number of great loads for it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree 100%

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:44:01 AM EDT
[#8]
For hog, the 300 Blk is better.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:08:12 PM EDT
[#9]
If you like to shoot much, the 223/5.56 will have a lot more ammo availability and better price.

I have a 300 blk and love it, but I reload for it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you like to shoot much, the 223/5.56 will have a lot more ammo availability and better price.

I have a 300 blk and love it, but I reload for it.
View Quote

This.  I did a 300 BLK upper for hogs, have not shot it yet, but I plan to reload those.  My others are all 556/223.

If you could only do one... 300 BLK pistol. That is my current project.  ;)
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:52:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I built a 7.62 X 39 upper rather than the .300 BLK.  Availability of ammo drove my decision.  Good accuracy with PRVI Partisan ammo, Wolf and Brown bear for general use and I will be playing with heavier bullets for subsonic.

Only downside is dedicated mags required.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:21:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think I'd like something more than 5.56 for doing some eventual hog hunting down south.
View Quote

I disagree with the characterization of 300 blackout as "something more" than 5.56.

If you want a genuinely higher performance cartridge for hog hunting in the AR15 platform I'd suggest the 6.8spc.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:25:08 AM EDT
[#13]
For barrel lengths less than 16", pistol length is pretty much mandatory for .300 BLK.

If you have a 16" barrel, you can get away with carbine length.

Anything longer than 16" is pointless/counterproductive.

I built an 8" .300 BLK pistol with a SigTac brace, and even with the gas port bored out to .125" I occasionally have cycling issues with subsonics (I don't have a can), but supers run fine.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:29:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

My 1st was a 16" with carbine gas.
Current is 8.5" with pistol gas.
Both shot supers great, neither would cycle  Remington 220gr subs unsupressed at all let alone reliably.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:31:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Both shot supers great, neither would cycle  Remington 220gr subs unsupressed at all let alone reliably.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can open up your gas port and/or open up gas port and install an adjustable gas block to tune
your rifle for suppressed/unsuppressed use.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You can open up your gas port and/or open up gas port and install an adjustable gas block to tune
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes you CAN but you aren't supposed to have to.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:15:47 PM EDT
[#17]
You are if you bought a rifle barrel that was not made to shoot both suppressed and un-suppressed like you apparently did.
Not all barrels are intended to shoot well with all gas systems, all barrel lengths both suppressed and not.

This was a potential fix, nothing more.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:57:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks guys. I appreciate the info.  I guess another question would be if you only had one all-around and could not afford a complete rifle and then an upper down the road, would the 5.56 be a better all-around cartridge (I know this is subject to a lot of opinion) for my purposes of some target shooting and some hog hunting?  Is the 5.56 capable of doing the job on hogs with the heavier loads?  I have a buddy that was a Marine and said the 5.56 tends to ricochet inside the body cavity and can destroy some of the meat.  Should this be of concern?

Thanks again.

Bill
View Quote

Using a .223/5.56 on hogs is done quite often with the right ammo. You need penetration and expansion so rounds like 62 gr Remington Hog Hammer, 62 gr Federal Fusion, Winchester Razorbacks are some of the rounds effective on hogs.

I use my .223 occasionally but I like my 300's better.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You are if you bought a rifle barrel that was not made to shoot both suppressed and un-suppressed like you apparently did.
Not all barrels are intended to shoot well with all gas systems, all barrel lengths both suppressed and not.

This was a potential fix, nothing more.
View Quote

Actually I bought complete uppers and I might even agree with you on the 16" with the carbine length system, but the ACC design criteria was that the round should function super and subsonic, suppressed or not, without adjustment.
It seems that they fell a little short on that since it seems to be a pretty common problem.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top