Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2014 3:42:20 PM EDT
Does any manufacturer make a lower that has the charging handle, bullet button and safety on the left side and the ejection port on the right?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The lower doesn't have anything to do with either the ejection port or the charging handle.  Most lowers have markings on both sides, and you can find several styles of ambidextrous selectors, which will give you either levers on both sides or even just on the right.  You won't find any lowers with a magazine catch cut on the other side - there aren't any magazines that will work with that.  But there are a number of ambidextrous magazine catch systems available too.

Stag makes left-hand uppers and bolts.  They use standard charging handles.  I hope that helps.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The lower doesn't have anything to do with either the ejection port or the charging handle.  Most lowers have markings on both sides, and you can find several styles of ambidextrous selectors, which will give you either levers on both sides or even just on the right.  You won't find any lowers with a magazine catch cut on the other side - there aren't any magazines that will work with that.  But there are a number of ambidextrous magazine catch systems available too.

Stag makes left-hand uppers and bolts.  They use standard charging handles.  I hope that helps.
View Quote

Oops.  I exposed my noobizm.  I think I understand what you are saying.  All magazines require that the catch be on one side, so the release button has to be on the right.  So when I do purchase a lower I must also get the Thordsen  Customs Ambidextrous Lock or Release.

So basically, I'm a right handed shooter who saw videos of people demonstrating the releasing of a bullet buttoned equipped AR15 magazine by reaching over the barrel to the opposite side.  I thought it was absurd and guess the video was pre Thordsen.      When you say "standard charging handles" do you mean the type that is pulled from the rear as opposed to those that are pulled from the left side?  Is there an advantage to either?

I don't know any local dealers that will receive a lower that doesn't have a bullet button installed - not saying there aren't any.  Do you have a link to a dealer that sells them?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#3]
If you order a stripped lower receiver, it will not come with mag release, or any parts for that matter. Any local FFL will gladly accept a stripped lower. You will then have to install a bullet button on your own.

For a side charging handle you will need a side charging upper receiver and a side charging bolt carrier group. More expensive.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Oops.  I exposed my noobizm.  I think I understand what you are saying.  All magazines require that the catch be on one side, so the release button has to be on the right.  So when I do purchase a lower I must also get the Thordsen  Customs Ambidextrous Lock or Release.

So basically, I'm a right handed shooter who saw videos of people demonstrating the releasing of a bullet buttoned equipped AR15 magazine by reaching over the barrel to the opposite side.  I thought it was absurd and guess the video was pre Thordsen.      When you say "standard charging handles" do you mean the type that is pulled from the rear as opposed to those that are pulled from the left side?  Is there an advantage to either?

I don't know any local dealers that will receive a lower that doesn't have a bullet button installed - not saying there aren't any.  Do you have a link to a dealer that sells them?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i don't see why any FFL would refused a stripped lower.

that said i moved out of nazifornia years ago, but if the lower is stripped, again, i don't see any ffl refusing it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:25:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you order a stripped lower receiver, it will not come with mag release, or any parts for that matter. Any local FFL will gladly accept a stripped lower. You will then have to install a bullet button on your own.

For a side charging handle you will need a side charging upper receiver and a side charging bolt carrier group. More expensive.
View Quote

i don't think he's going for a side charging ar, but rather, a ar for lefties(or ambi) that is CA legal.

in terms of charging handle, there are ALOT of ambi charging handles that will work for lefties, and righting equally, however, i personally like the raptor, in axts flavor

http://axtsweapons.com/products/raptor-556-ti

for a ambi or left mag release that uses a bullet button...your sol, it doesn't exist as far as i know.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can install a bullet button but are uppers with standard charging handles available in .45?  
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:01:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:You won't find any lowers with a magazine catch cut on the other side - there aren't any magazines that will work with that.  But there are a number of ambidextrous magazine catch systems available too.
View Quote

When you say "catch system" is that as in Thordsen's Ambidextrous Magazine Locks and Releases?  If so, is Thordsen the only one that incorporates a bullet button?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:24:12 AM EDT
[#8]
It appears to me that the Thordson ambi-mag release is California complaint.  This is the first time I've seen it. You can also get some good information on California rifle configuration at calguns.net .
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

When you say "catch system" is that as in Thordsen's Ambidextrous Magazine Locks and Releases?  If so, is Thordsen the only one that requires a tool to actuate - California compliant?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:You won't find any lowers with a magazine catch cut on the other side - there aren't any magazines that will work with that.  But there are a number of ambidextrous magazine catch systems available too.

When you say "catch system" is that as in Thordsen's Ambidextrous Magazine Locks and Releases?  If so, is Thordsen the only one that requires a tool to actuate - California compliant?

I didn't know of ANY ambidextrous magazine catch devices that were California compliant.  Thordsen's is the first I've heard of such a thing.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:50:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  You can also get some good information on California rifle configuration at calguns.net .
View Quote

I just registered.  And you are right, they DO have much information on an Ar45 build or buy.  I probably should have started there.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:49:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You won't find any lowers with a magazine catch cut on the other side - there aren't any magazines that will work with that.
View Quote

How does Just Right Carbines manage to have the bullet button on the left side?  Shouldn't California compliant lower receivers have the bullet button on the left side for right-handed shooters and visa versa for left-handed shooters ?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How does Just Right Carbines manage to have the bullet button on the left side?  Shouldn't California compliant lower receivers have the bullet button on the left side for right-handed shooters and visa versa for left-handed shooters ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You won't find any lowers with a magazine catch cut on the other side - there aren't any magazines that will work with that.

Just Right is NOT an AR.  It uses pistol magazines.  Current generation Glock magazines, and S&W's M&P magazins, are ambidextrous, with notches on both sides, so JR can put the catch on whichever side they want.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just went to Just Right website, I think we are talking about completely different animals here.

Edit: just got to a computer so I can see what the heck that thing is. It may use some parts from an AR but it is not an AR. It seems to be a pistol caliber rifle monstrosity. Besides the mag release, you can also change the bolt handle and ejection port to whatever side you want. Don't confuse these with an AR-15. They took a few parts from the AR platform and put it on their weapon. And I LOVE when places use phrases like "aerospace grade aluminium".

I don't know about CA rules but have they gone so far as to regulate what side a mag catch needs to be, as OP is asking?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't know about CA rules but have they gone so far as to regulate what side a mag catch needs to be, as OP is asking?
View Quote
No.  The Just Right Carbine looks a lot like a pistol caliber AR, but it's a totally different animal.  In Cali, it still needs a "bullet button" so it "requires a tool to change the magazine" per California's highly advanced anti-crime rules (cough, cough!!!) because even bad guys will follow those rules, right?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is no regulation concerning where to install the magazine catch.  Since this will be my 1st semi-automatic carbine I want to make sure all the parts are good-to-go for me.  I noticed that most magazine release buttons are on the right side.  Living in California and me being right handed that will not work.  Thorsden makes something but the problem is getting an FFL to receive a non-bullet button weapon and then install one before transferring it to the consumer.  So I will have to...get a Just Right Carbine or look for another manufacturer that will install an ambidextrous magazine release or left-hand bullet button before shipping to my FFL or build my own.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:Current generation Glock magazines, and S&W's M&P magazins, are ambidextrous, with notches on both sides, so JR can put the catch on whichever side they want.
View Quote

No one has mentioned that.  That is very useful information.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:27:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just Right is NOT an AR.  It uses pistol magazines.  Current generation Glock magazines, and S&W's M&P magazins, are ambidextrous, with notches on both sides, so JR can put the catch on whichever side they want.
View Quote

Yes, I know.  I'm just looking for a semi-automatic carbine that will accept AR triggers, full length Picatinny quadrail, detachable 10 round magazine, bullet button magazine release on left side and shoots a .45.  I don't require takedown pins, Direct Impingement or Select Fire.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted: In Cali, it still needs a "bullet button" so it "requires a tool to change the magazine" per California's highly advanced anti-crime rules (cough, cough!!!) because even bad guys will follow those rules, right?
View Quote

I agree.  Microstamping and a bullet button on a 10 rounder is a joke but so is spraying with a rifle round.  I agree with Feinstein when she said (not verbatim) that there are 2,000 weapons available to Californians and that no home defender needs a tank, rocket launcher or 50 caliber machine gun.  SHTF or zombie apocalypse is a different story.  You will need everything illegal in those scenarios.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:08:54 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm having a real hard time trying to figure out why you NEED to have the mag release on the left side.
No offence intended but are you handicapped and can't get to the button? I ask because I am right handed, shoot with my right hand and use the index finger on my right hand to release the mag. My right thumb also switches the safety. The only thing I use my left hand for is the bolt release.
The only thing I could possibly envision why somebody would use their left hand to release the mag is if you were doing mag dumps and want to drop mags and insert new without removing your right hand from the trigger.
I have never reached over the top to push the release.

Edit: Totally forgot you were talking about a bullet button. Still I don't see why you would want it on the left side.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:35:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:It seems to be a pistol caliber rifle monstrosity.
View Quote

What, IYO, is very large and unsightly about the Just Right Carbine?
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:05:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm having a real hard time trying to figure out why you NEED to have the mag release on the left side.
No offence intended but are you handicapped and can't get to the button? I ask because I am right handed, shoot with my right hand and use the index finger on my right hand to release the mag. My right thumb also switches the safety. The only thing I use my left hand for is the bolt release.
The only thing I could possibly envision why somebody would use their left hand to release the mag is if you were doing mag dumps and want to drop mags and insert new without removing your right hand from the trigger.
I have never reached over the top to push the release.
View Quote

I'm not handicapped....Well maybe I am handicapped by California gun laws.  I'm not sure if those in California who owned a pre-bullet-button-law weapon have to convert to a bullet button but I've seen videos of those right handers pressing the right hand bullet button to release the magazine.  It's awkward and I refuse to change mags in that manner.  It's natural for non-restrictive state shooters to use the trigger hand to release the magazine and the support hand to change it.  I'm in California and want to use the support hand to release AND change the magazine.  

This

http://youtu.be/8DmfFiml49A?t=54s'

vs. this

http://youtu.be/djBb2Ca28nY?t=6s'

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 3:37:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Sorry if I came off like an ass in my last post. I edited it but forgot to submit it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 3:50:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:It seems to be a pistol caliber rifle monstrosity.

The stock, the fact that they left a collapsible receiver extension on it, the bulky square shape, it looks like the ejection port changes sides by screwing the plate on either side. Also the fact that their videos talk mostly about new parts over old parts and what you need to replace to make the gun reliable now, which sounds like most of the carbine. They make it sound like they are selling a weapon and using everybody that buys one for R&D. I understand that you can be limited by where you live but there has to be better options out there. A regular AR in .45 is out of the question?
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 8:28:08 AM EDT
[#24]
I own a pre 1989 registered assault rifle. There is no requirement for me (or anyone else with a CA RAW) to put a bullet button on it. It's as new with all California's "evil features" and detachable high capacity magazines.

I need to take a little time and clarify for you California AW laws. There are small bits of misinformation here which is common due to the lengthy and multiple laws.

First OLL's (off list lowers the only type you can legally buy now) can be transferred as stripped receivers, or completed lowers or complete rifles. How they are going to be configured is up to you. You have two choices currently.
1. A bullet button equipped 10 round maximum fixed magazine rifle with all the evil features you want. IE: collapsible stock, thumbhole stock, folding stock, pistol grip, forward grip, flash suppressor, flare/grenade launcher. Use of high capacity magazines on a bullet button equipped rifles triggers assault rifle status.
2. A detachable magazine rifle (no bullet button and no "evil features" mentioned above) that has no magazine limit restrictions. Use of any "evil features" on a detachable magazine rifle triggers assault rifle status.

That's about as simply as I can write it. It involves CA laws over the last 25 years, Supreme Court decisions, two bans one by name one by features and  magazine bans 2000 and 2014 (kits).
I don't know how old you are, but if you didn't own high capacity magazines in California before the year 2000 there's no way to legally obtain them now. So if you don't already own some, building a detachable magazine rifle you would only be able to buy 10 round magazines and you can use those in the detachable fashion. I hope this helps you. If you have any questions just ask -W

ETA: This is a good source of information California Forum.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Have you thought about going featureless?
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

If I were ever to go to a ban state to live for any length of time this is what I would do. A featureless AR can have a drop free without tools magazine

Once you cross the line to a free state you could make it into a full evil bayonet having AR in an afternoon.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:A regular AR in .45 is out of the question?
View Quote

I'm still researching that.  If there are regular ARs in .45 they will have to ship it with a Thordsen release on the left side, at least for the California market.  I don't see that happening.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I initially thought about that but decided I wanted a telescoping stock and pistol grip.  I can do without the threaded barrel and forward grip.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 7:53:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Also the fact that their videos talk mostly about new parts over old parts and what you need to replace to make the gun reliable now, which sounds like most of the carbine. They make it sound like they are selling a weapon and using everybody that buys one for R&D.
View Quote

That's why I plan on ordering direct from the manufacturer.

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#30]
I guess a right side bullet button won't be so bad.

http://youtu.be/I6rwJ34hSqk
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top