Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2014 2:27:22 AM EDT
With the price on the Anderson lower I finally decided to build an AR. I have done some AK stuff but this is my first EBR. I have read some of the tagged posts but have a few questions. First I want to build a simple 20" A2 similar to the M 16 we had in the Army but I want an adjustable Stock, maybe a better pistol grip. I want A2 sights, fore end, mil spec flash hider. So here goes.

What rate of twist barrel should I get, considering shooting mostly cheap stuff Wolf, Federal?
What is a decent M4 stock close to the Mil spec? I see some real nice ones, but I'm looking for function not fancy this build.
Is it more economical to build the upper or just buy one?
I see a crap ton of lower kits out there, PSA seems to have a ton of them by themselves. Is there a main co that actually supplies all these guys that you can go to the source for? Best bang for the buck on plain Jane build?

Just going to do this as I can afford to, hence my screen name. I don't need a 2500.00 rifle to put holes in a coyote or some paper.

I did buy 2 so The second build will be a little more custom.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:37:50 PM EDT
[#1]
The predominant twist rate is 1:7; allows you to shoot essentially all projectile weights.  1:8 and 1:9 are also available but they may not stabilize the heavier (>69gr) bullets but will be OK with standard weights.

If you factor in the cost of tools and some of the current deals (BCM is currently including "free" BCGs with their uppers) it's cheaper to buy.  All that upper needs is a charging handle, handguards  and a rear sight.

BCM also has this and this for the stock setup.

LPKs are fairly generic; PSA is probably as good as the next.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:37:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
With the price on the Anderson lower I finally decided to build an AR. I have done some AK stuff but this is my first EBR. I have read some of the tagged posts but have a few questions. First I want to build a simple 20" A2 similar to the M 16 we had in the Army but I want an adjustable Stock, maybe a better pistol grip. I want A2 sights, fore end, mil spec flash hider. So here goes.

What rate of twist barrel should I get, considering shooting mostly cheap stuff Wolf, Federal?

Most inexpensive ammo uses 55 grain (ie short) bullets, so any common twist rate should be fine.

What is a decent M4 stock close to the Mil spec? I see some real nice ones, but I'm looking for function not fancy this build.

I like the Rogers Super-Stoc. Inexpensive and locks up nice and tight with either mil spec or "commercial" buffer tube.

Cheaper to buy a complete upper, but if you build you get exactly what you want.

I see a crap ton of lower kits out there, PSA seems to have a ton of them by themselves. Is there a main co that actually supplies all these guys that you can go to the source for? Best bang for the buck on plain Jane build?

I've had good luck with Spikes and CMMG LPKs. I like the CMMG set because I can order them without the trigger.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want a M16 A2 upper buy this   http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies/psa-chf-20-5-56mm-1-7-rifle-length-a2-profile-w-bcg-charging-handle.html

Then build or buy a complete lower with A2 rifle stock.  If you want an adjustable stock it won't be like your basic M16 A2 in the military.

You should end up with $600 or less in the rifle.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got J&T and PSA LPKs in mine, seem to be pretty good for mil spec.

If you want you can get an almost complete rifle from PSA for around $500.
(S&H and FFL extra of course)

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ptac-16-m4-5-56-nato-slick-side-1-9-rifle-kit.html
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/10446/category/4282/
Rifle for $417. Just need a few accessories. Can't beat that with a stick.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want a M16 A2 upper buy this   http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies/psa-chf-20-5-56mm-1-7-rifle-length-a2-profile-w-bcg-charging-handle.html

Then build or buy a complete lower with A2 rifle stock.  If you want an adjustable stock it won't be like your basic M16 A2 in the military.

You should end up with $600 or less in the rifle.
View Quote

Field experience, though mostly a FOBbit, is why I want an adjustable.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:24:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just going to do this as I can afford to, hence my screen name. I don't need a 2500.00 rifle to put holes in a coyote or some paper.

I did buy 2 so The second build will be a little more custom.
View Quote
 cheapshot:  Definitely build your own upper so as to control quality and component selection.  I suggest you start with a Green Mountain 20" chrome lined barrel, inexpensive but very accurate in my experience.  1in7 or 1in8 twist is about right for most bullets, 1in7 if you intend to shoot pills heavier (longer) than 62 grains.  The Safariland SuperStoc is an excellent choice for an adjustable stock, but for your M16 clone, I suggest a fixed stock such as the Ace ARFX or Magpul MOE.  I've always used DPMS lower parts kits and had no problems.  The included GI triggers need to have their engagement surfaces polished and JP yellow springs installed, but that's a 15 minute task anyone can do with a little care.  Total cost for such a build can easily stay under $1000. Here's a pic of mine, a flattop, but otherwise a nice accurate 20" rifle that weighs 7.5 lbs with iron sights and an empty mag.  - CW

]
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 11:44:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the advice. I utilized the EE here and found a used A2 ban era upper, with stock,for a decent price. It should be in the mail before long. The amount of parts suppliers and options is pretty daunting. but it is nice to be able to see what you guys have actually used and like/ don't like.

Suggestions for decent price/quality lower kit? I don't need a dual stage set up.

Also can you put a muzzle device on a ban era weapon? I realize this may require threading the barrel. Or making my own press on version.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 1:01:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Well I got it done. Thanks to EE and a friend. I found a very slightly used ban era A2 upper with BCG and stock for about $475.00 Heavy barrel, woodland camo hand guard and stock. Sticks are sticks, so it will work out West. My friend I've known for years gave me a CMMG lower kit for Christmas. I wasn't sure if it came with a grip or not so I stopped by a local gun shop and bought a Magpul MIAD just in case. So Christmas eve I was assembling a lower while watching TV. After we got the usual Christmas morning rituals done I went out and gave it a try. I popped off one round while I held it on the other side of the door of the Suburban just in case. POP! No problem. Then I set up a target at about 25M/30 paces. And loaded 3 rounds. I figured as this was a used set up the zero should be close. I was wrong. I didn't even hit the board. So it was time for a redneck bore sighting. I dropped the lower off and removed the BCG, put the upper on my rest bags sighted through the bore and put my target in the center, then checked my sights. I could see the front sight was way high so I dropped it until it was pretty close, then loaded 3 more. Bam! Right close to where it needed to be. Put a few clicks in and tried it again. We were right there. I put a total of 40 rounds through it.  The largest group were barely outside a Quarter width. The smallest group could be covered with a dime. Wolf 55grain. 50 year old eyes. Maybe tomorrow I can get a little long distance time in.

All total I have less than $600. in this gun. I have one more receiver, so I'm going to go with an M4 clone of some kind. I'll keep it simple, but probably go with Magpul furniture. Iron sights. I kinda like the KISS approach.
Thanks for your input. I think I might need a few more lowers.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 1:23:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I haven't got the picture posting down yet(old guy)but here is a Facebook look.
https://scontent-a-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/1535567_799808080087050_4948822907960251074_n.jpg?oh=cd14e6428683d37faad0490cc1393d0b&oe=553C545A
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top