Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2014 10:27:52 AM EDT
First of all, glad to be on the forum.  Thought I had joined a while ago but account could not be found.  Thanks in advance for any help.

I am looking to get a lower to build something in the future.  Being from NY, I may not be able to buy one at all in the future so it is a gamble.  Had a Colt match target on order when the UNSAFE act kicked in and could not get it.
What constitutes a good lower?  Is there a quality gap or are they all pretty much equal?  Are there differences in features/finishes that I may or may not need?
Is the Bushmaster lower a good unit or are there much better ones.

Never had an AR platform gun, just my Mini 14.   I will have help building when I do.
Any recommendations positive or negative on lowers or other items appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#1]
In general, a lower is a lower.  Most of the time finish and roll stamp are the only differences.  Go with one that is in your budget and has the makings you like.  For instance, I liked the roll mark on the PSA but I hate the roll marks on the Bushmaster and Stag, so I bought the PSA.  There is one feature that will bring the price up.  That's if it's a Billet lower.  That means that it was machined out of a solid piece of Aluminum.  The reality is, cast Aluminum is nearly as strong and durable as machined.  (I know that I'll get flamed) The billet, in most cases was cast anyway.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:01:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Unless you're going billet, any of the common <$50 ones are fine.  Never had an issue with Anderson or PSA or Spike's.

ETA: You can get any stripped lower shipped to NY, and Beikirch's stocks them.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:03:40 PM EDT
[#3]

I would buy an Anderson lower and also pick up a complete rifle second hand in the next year or two.

TTC
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top