Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2014 7:01:29 PM EDT
First post. Great forum. I've been poking around for about a month. Seems like there are a lot of very helpful people and a huge amount of knowledge.

I'm new to this. I've been looking for an AR-15. I have a 10/22, a few shotguns and several pistols. The AR seems to be the next logical step. I thought about buying new/used. Don't like the idea of "the man" knowing my business and I'm not very comfortable buying a firearm from someone I don't know. Also, I'm fairly mechanical and love to know how things work. I have a lot of experience with building, maintaining and driving race cars so I'm expecting a build shouldn't me more than I can handle. Because of that, I've decided that my preferred path would be to build my own from an 80% lower. I've had a little machining experience so I don't see finishing the lower as an obstacle to me accomplishing this build. Even if I do screw one up, a $70 lesson is a small price to pay for learning a new skill.

Here's my current thought...  

80% lower and jig from these guys...
http://www.modulusarms.com/modulus-arms-universal-ar-15-jig-80-lower-receiver-package/

This rifle kit or something very similar...
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/2279/category/313/

This combination should be reasonably within my expected budget and also accomplish my goal of building my own rifle and the satisfaction of enjoying something I've built myself. I'm aware of the legal ramifications of an 80% lower. I won't be able to sell this as a completed rifle and I must accomplish the machining of the lower on my own. I'm also expecting that this will be just the first of several I'll be building as I learn.

Having said all that, any advice, criticism or enabling will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I feel uncomfortable with your post, almost as if you were BATF trolling.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#2]
You should be nearly set. Invest in a nice stock of your choice and get to shooting. You'll get a few hundred bullets through it and start to realize what you want to tinker with next(ie: trigger, building the upper, longer/shorter barrel etc). Good luck, have fun and post pics.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#3]
A lot of utube videos showing a 80% lower being finished.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:36:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL! Yea. Um... No.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:40:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You should be nearly set. Invest in a nice stock of your choice and get to shooting. You'll get a few hundred bullets through it and start to realize what you want to tinker with next(ie: trigger, building the upper, longer/shorter barrel etc). Good luck, have fun and post pics.
View Quote

I have an ATI adjustable stock on my Remington 870. I'm pretty happy with that. I'll find something similar for this build. I'm expecting that once I get it together I'll figure out what I like and don't like and will start making changes.

Will post pics as I make progress.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:37:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

If anything sounded more like newbie targeted free advertising.  Who would suggest an 80% to a first timer when there a few decent lowers for < $60.  'The man' comment is scare tactic and ridiculous considering the status of private sales.

IMO, 'the man' doesn't want your rifle he wants your money and to erode your wealth.

TTC
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:25:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow. You're a paranoid bunch.

I don't work for the ATF. I don't work for any of the suppliers. I'm just a guy looking to have fun building and shooting a rifle. Damn.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top