Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2014 6:00:11 PM EDT
Hey guys.  Looking for a little help.

I want to build on the wealth of knowledge here on the ARF-webs.

Help me in putting together a parts list for a coyote hunting upper.  Looking to build a good shooter but on a budget.

I was thinking a 18" Stainless Steel  fluted bull barrel in .223 wylde.  Fluted to help with weight.  This isnt going to be a precision rifle, so if you have a better choice or even if you think a 16" would do me fine, I'm open to options.

My goal is to be able to slap this upper on and do a little coyote hunting here in E. Cent. IL.  Most hunting will be done across corn and soybean fields but I'm not real good at long distance shooting, so I figure 50-300 yds is probably my range.  

I'll need the upper receiver and the whole nine.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#1]
My coyote gun is a WOA Recon 16" upper built by Denny's Guns (Global Tactical) years ago when they were all the rage.
Just last year, I finally put a DD free float rail on it, still as accurate as when I first got it.

My farthest shot I've taken around home is just shy of 300 yards.  I run a 1-4 Bushnell Elite optic.

I would definitely get a SS barrel.  The 18" isn't going to weigh too much more than a 16", if that's what you want.
I'd skip the bull barrel, unless you will have a rest for every shot.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#2]
The barrel and a free float rail is the most important part, the rest is preference. I'd go with a 16"stainless barrel, lighter the better. Quality trumps length imo, I hunt with my sbr
A slick side upper receiver can be had for $40 at AIM.
Carbon fiber hand guard, AP customs are nice
I like a low power scope, I use a 1-6, but a 2-7 or 3-9 would be good as well.

That would be my build suggestion for an affordable hunting AR upper. Lots of options out there, this is based off off my experience.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:16:40 PM EDT
[#3]
What would you guys recommend for a 16" SS barrel?  What length gas system? What type of muzzle break or comp?
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:47:04 PM EDT
[#4]
24" match barrel
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:09:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
24" match barrel
View Quote

Overkill for 300yrds IMO.

I have used the RECCE below to make hits on a 9" plate at 340yrds.  It uses a 16" Spike's Melonite barrel (from a couple of years ago) and a Griffen M4SD comp.  Glass is a 2-7x Vortex Viper.

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:52:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm thinking 16" stainless steel, midlength, 1:8 twist in .223 Wylde...the search is on.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:09:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm thinking 16" stainless steel, midlength, 1:8 twist in .223 Wylde...the search is on.
View Quote

LW makes that very barrel (200 bucks).  I just ordered on for a buddy's Yote rig.  We only put about 25 rounds through it for function testing but it was shooting pretty good.  I can't wait to see what a custom load will do in it.  The one on my rig shoots just over 1/4 moa at a 100 with custom loads.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:23:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

LW makes that very barrel (200 bucks).  I just ordered on for a buddy's Yote rig.  We only put about 25 rounds through it for function testing but it was shooting pretty good.  I can't wait to see what a custom load will do in it.  The one on my rig shoots just over 1/4 moa at a 100 with custom loads.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LW?  Would you have a link?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:45:04 AM EDT
[#9]
No bull barrel needed. Im currently using a Noveske 14.5" light weight middy and can hit a 6" plate @300 every time I pull the trigger. A 4" plate about 85%. I'm using a NF 1-4x and my own 75gr BTHP load. The SSA-E trigger in my lower helps a good bit as well. Plenty of great barrels on the market. The Rainier UltraMatch is worthy of consideration as well as the Noveske line.  I'd go mid-length gas with a 16" and either a Surefire MB556K or the Meyers 249F, depending on what attribute you desire most from your muzzle device.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:04:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's mine
AR Performance 16" 1/8 twist, Wylde chamber, 4150 nitro-carburized 5R rifled medcon barrel with matched bolt.
Clark Custom carbon fiber tube
No name receiver.
I run a CavArms MkII lower for hiking around.
If I'm not hiking around I use an A2 lower loaded with birdshot in every nook and cranny.
The scope is either TRS-1 or a Bushnell Elite 10x depending on my mood.

The gun is good to 500 yards.  After 500 yards the owner runs out of talent.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:31:41 AM EDT
[#11]
check out the Lothar Walther barrels.........I've been very happy with mine.......

http://www.lothar-walther.com/473.php
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:20:42 AM EDT
[#12]
The barrels that come to mind...

...an AR15Performance 18" rifle length, 1:8 twist, 5r rifling, melonited mil-spec 4150 steel, fluted...

www.ar15performance.com

...a Lothar Walther 16" mid-length, 1:8 twist, polygonal rifling, LW50 stainless, melonited.

http://www.customar15.net/shop/barrels-ar-15-upper-receivers/lothar-walther-16in-223-wylde-match-grade-barrel-stainless-melonite/

...and a basic mid-length 16" mil-spec 1:8 from Green Mountain, great price too.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m8-16-m4-for-mid-length-gas-system-5-56-nato/

All three of those sites have other barrels too, give them a look.

As far as a flash hider or comp, I recommend the BCM Gunfighter...I have one on my 14.7" Palmetto and it tames it well so I can get fast follow-up shots.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:22:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Here's mine
AR Performance 16" 1/8 twist, Wylde chamber, 4150 nitro-carburized 5R rifled medcon barrel with matched bolt.
Clark Custom carbon fiber tube
No name receiver.
I run a CavArms MkII lower for hiking around.
If I'm not hiking around I use an A2 lower loaded with birdshot in every nook and cranny.
The scope is either TRS-1 or a Bushnell Elite 10x depending on my mood.

The gun is good to 500 yards.  After 500 yards the owner runs out of talent.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/ZekeMenuar1/AR4_zps54462aac.jpg
View Quote

I have their 18" fluted...great barrel!
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:10:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't coyote hunt, yet.  Intend to try some next year after I retire and have more free time.

I do have several AR15s.  Barrel lengths from 24" to 10.5".  Barrel weights from "skinny/lightweight" to "heavy/bull barrel".

The best groups I've ever fired is out of my 24" bull barrel gun.

But, the 20" HBAR clone and even the 16" lightweight barrel guns are pretty close.  My last carbine build (16" lightweight chrome line barrel from RRA) is very accurate.  I'll do some hunting with it.  I've never loaded anything heavier than 62 grain bullets.  Mostly 55 grain bullets.  I'll be trying some 45 grain bullets in that 24" gun as my initial test showed it shot its best groups with some almost 30 year old reloads I'd loaded, but not shot in my M700 varmint special back in 1984.

I would definitely have a free float tube on your rifle.  I'd have a bipod/bipod mount so I could shoot it with/without the bipod.  I found, many years ago, that even though I had a 4X12 scope on my varmint rifle (ground hogs and crows back then) I usually kept the scope on 8X for almost all my shooting.  So I bought a Weaver 10X and put on the M700.

The scope can be important.  You really want one that has a nice bright image.  I'm not a scope expert but I know "similar" powered and sized (objective lens diameter and tube) scopes aren't equal just because of power and diameters.  Some will give you much brighter, more detailed image.  That's what you want.  It's nice to be able to look back into the shadows under some brush, or a fence line, and see what's there vs. just seeing a dark area.

You mentioned your shooting skills.  If you haven't been to an Appleseed, and you can find one in your area, you'll be amazed at what you can learn and how it will improve your shooting.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Noveske makes a lightweight 16"

Link

Comes with a gas block and gas tube

Or id look at a  Rainer Arms Ultra Match if you can manage to navigate their new site
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:22:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
check out the Lothar Walther barrels.........I've been very happy with mine.......

View Quote

Thanks Dana!  Beat me to the punch!
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those are a good choice, didn't know they made a lightweight contour

Is yours lightweight, and if so can you post a pic? Might be ordering one of these
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Daytime? Nighttime?

Good barrel, good trigger, good optic, good ammo.

Mine? 16" kreiger 1:7, geissele, zeiss (saker 556 can)
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Since you mentioned budget, I have heard the Black hole weaponry has a good SS barrel for a reasonable price point. Surplus arms and ammo had them a while back that came with a free upper.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Not sure how you feel about getting stuff off the "big auction sight" but there is what seems to be a nice barrel listed on there that I've been considering myself for a "varmint" build.  Not sure if you want to check it out but it's an option.  Not sure on the manufacturer of the barrels...waiting on a reply from the seller.   I figure it's another option for you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Spiral-Fluted-20-Stainless-223-Wylde-223-5-56-1-9-Twist-Barrel-/231392345113?fromMakeTrack=true

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:26:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Not sure how you feel about getting stuff off the "big auction sight" but there is what seems to be a nice barrel listed on there that I've been considering myself for a "varmint" build.  Not sure if you want to check it out but it's an option.  Not sure on the manufacturer of the barrels...waiting on a reply from the seller.   I figure it's another option for you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Spiral-Fluted-20-Stainless-223-Wylde-223-5-56-1-9-Twist-Barrel-/231392345113?fromMakeTrack=true

View Quote

1/2 inch MOA at 400 meters.. 6.5 Grendels don't even shoot that MOA.. i'm calling BS on this one..
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:43:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

1/2 inch MOA at 400 meters.. 6.5 Grendels don't even shoot that MOA.. i'm calling BS on this one..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1/2 MOA at 400 meters is 2 inches, not 1/2 inch.  Even so I wouldn't believe anything written on a random ebay auction
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:34:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Yeah I think I'll avoid shopping for any parts on eBay.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:57:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Here is a good option following your criteria.... Very happy with mine!

16" NorthTech Defense Fluted Ultra Precision .223 Wylde SS Barrel - 1:8 Twist

https://www.rainierarms.com/northtech-defense-fluted-ultra-precision-223-wylde-ss-barrel-18
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#25]
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-Match-Grade-Barrel-556-NATO-Recon-Tactical-16-1-7-Twist-Stainless-Fluted/productinfo/TR-556RC16F-17/

I picked up one of these for $300. Seems to fit you needs well.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Here is a good option following your criteria.... Very happy with mine!

16" NorthTech Defense Fluted Ultra Precision .223 Wylde SS Barrel - 1:8 Twist
https://www.rainierarms.com/northtech-defense-fluted-ultra-precision-223-wylde-ss-barrel-18
View Quote

Damn, thats a nice looking Barrel.  Your link was broken, but I was able to find it.  Not sure about a $400 barrel though.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Anybody have experience with Odin Works barrels?  Thats about the cheapest and lightest I can find in a 16" midlength 223 wylde barrel.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Anybody have experience with Odin Works barrels?  Thats about the cheapest and lightest I can find in a 16" midlength 223 wylde barrel.
View Quote

Also is the 1/8 twist rate the way to go for a Stainless varmint hunting barrel?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeah 1/8 is what you want
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:08:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Might look at a JP Supermatch barrel if you looking to spend that much. Not sure if the one you linked comes with a bolt but the JP comes with a properly head spaced JP Enhanced bolt that has been NIB coated.
http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.1_barrel.php

You can also do their rifle builder program for a barrel kit. Barrel kits come with a properly timed flash hider / break, and gas block. I went the barrel kit route and the compensator is a machined timed / fit that doesn't use crush washers, or jam nuts. Its hard to see where the comp meets the barrel because it is a precision fit. It looks like a one piece design.

Rifle Builder
http://www.jprifles.com/roshome.php
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#31]
For 300?

Don't flinch.

TTC
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top