Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/6/2014 2:34:42 PM EDT
It seems the "do I need to check headspace" question comes up once every couple weeks and although I knew the correct answer  (Check it, even the best manufacturers make mistakes too), I wasn't sure exactly what "headspace" was, how it was defined,  and what are the potential failure modes of a rifle with too much headspace.

So I did a little research and found a few things I would share that might help clear it up.   Hello Google.

First, a thousand words....no better yet, a picture.

An AR with too little headspace will not go into battery, (bolt closed, lugs engaged)   Because of the timing of the cam pin and cam track in the carrier, an AR that is out of battery should not fire.   The bolt should still be extended and the firing pin incapable of reaching the primer on the round.    However, the penalty for  a round firing out of battery is fairly severe I would think, so although many would say that a Field gage is all that is needed, I personally would prefer to see my bolt close nicely on a GO gage as well.

The bigger and more common issue is a rifle with too much headspace.   Initially I was thinking that too much headspace would only cause a case shoulder to bulge, split or rupture, possibly jamming the rifle and being just a general PITA.   However, then I read This
If you don't like a lot of reading just skip down to the Theory section.   It's the best explaination I've seen of case failure due to excessive headspace.

Best case if the case head separates from the rest of the brass, you get a lot of hot gases shooting down the mag well, and a stuck chunk of brass in the barrel.

Worst case, something like:

The cost of a set of headspace gages is nearly inconsequential to the amount of money most of us are spending on our builds.   The cost of a catastrophic failure is significantly higher.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Some links to vendors of headspace gauges would be nice.  I haven't priced them, so I don't know if I'm getting ripped off or not.  

Nice info, too.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:12:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some links to vendors of headspace gauges would be nice.  I haven't priced them, so I don't know if I'm getting ripped off or not.  

Nice info, too.
View Quote

I got mine from PTG: http://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=160_161&sort=20a&page=1
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:19:59 PM EDT
[#3]
https://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com/

Not saying one is better than the other, I own Manson gauges, they have a handly little slice in the back the ejector fits into.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:49:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I would like to know where to get 5.56 headspace gauges with cutouts for the ejector.

The only reason I don't already have headspace gauges is because I don't know how to avoid .223 gauges listed as 5.56 gauges.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#5]
The two measurements in the red boxes is what contributes to a chambers headspace. If you subtract 0.156" from 1.6206" it will equal 1.4646". This is the minimum headspace (1.4646") listed in the military specifications for new barrels (all variants of the M16 and M4) that have been high pressure tested.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually an AR that will not pass a Go gage can go into battery.
Depending on how short the chamber is some ammo that is within SAAMI specs may not chamber.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top