Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2014 3:48:21 PM EDT
I've seen lots of explanations of the mil spec vs commercial buffer tube dimensions. Do the threads on the lower fit both, or do they also come in mil spec and commercial dimensions?

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Threads are identical in size although they are produced differently.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:10:11 PM EDT
[#2]
What WW1 said.

The threads are a different cut and and the tube diameter that the stock slides over are slightly different (commercial slightly larger diameter)  so the stocks are different.

Both work and will thread just fine into the receiver.  Just be sure to use the correct stock inside diameter, mil spec or commercial, to match whatever the tube is.

Correct mil spec tubes have slightly thicker walls under the cut  threads so should be stronger.  

I have and use both.  My RRA lowers have commercial tubes but whenever I replace anything I use milspec, mostly.  If you switch from commercial to milspec you have to change the stocks as well and that is money.   Both work.

Now, what I don't understand, is why there ever was a difference in the first place.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:01:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Now, what I don't understand, is why there ever was a difference in the first place.
View Quote

I want to know the answer to this too, seem like a real waste of time and money.

As said both with thread into the lower just fine, used the same castle nuts, only the tube where the stock fits is a larger diameter on the commercial tubes, also thier is a slight slant on the rear of the tube, probably the easiest way to tell which is which. There are more stock options for milspec vs commercial they can generally be had cheaper.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top