Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2014 11:31:27 AM EDT
Hello, I have made 2 80% lowers with the TM jig. Both times I had to shave a hair of the back side of the trigger assembly to get the safety to go in. I thought I screwed something up the first time. but after the same thing happened the second time I figured something was wrong with the jig. I ordered a new set of Side plates from TM. and sure enough the safety holes are in different spots.

I don't want a refund from TM as I have now altered their jig to do a billet lower. ( altered after the first two had the safety problem.)

will someone with a TM jig take the measurement I have taken for the safety please?

Also is my new side plate missing a pin? the top right does not have one where as my old one did.

Thanks!!!

New side plate, is there supposed to be a pin top right?

old side plate measurement (.521)

new side plate measurement (.532)

ETA: this is not a call out, TM are stand up guys and would probably replace my jig even though I modified it. I just want to see what other peoples measure to the safety and to see if the new side plate is missing a pin.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:42:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine measures at 0.536 inch. The jig has done 3 lowers though and taken some abuse so that measurement is not of an unused jig. It also has both pins.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!!! Does your jig look like the top one or the bottom one?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Bottom. I bought it Feb. this year and it was listed as a Gen. 2 jig if that makes any difference.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:09:39 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks!

Does anyone have a jig like the top one that can verify if it should have a pin or not?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:50:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I have two of their jigs. Measuring the way you're doing it I get .0532 & .0550.

BUT when I put a lower in the jig the top of the plates do not match the top of the lower and that's where the difference is in my jigs. (one plate is taller but the holes are in the right place)

All measurements should be taken from the center of the pivot pin with blueprints in hand.

http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/cad/ar15_receiver.pdf

That said there is a pin missing on your side plate. TM seems to be slipping a little on QC lately.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:56:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Also I always struggle to get my safety in. I found the best way is to drop the trigger into the slot but do not pin it until the safety is in.

I can never get my safeties in if I pin the trigger first.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Randy!! this is your fault you know. I based everything off your thread. Just kidding.

So are you saying my old top plates wont work with my new side plates? I think im just going to call TM and figure all this out.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:16:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Those both look like Gen 2 plates so they should work, but you need that alignment pin.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Gotcha, thanks again!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#10]
The selector hole should measure .714" from the deck of the lower; if your jig is perfectly flush with the deck, the top of the .375" hole should be 0.526" down.  IIRC, the tolerance is +/-0.005"
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:36:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also I always struggle to get my safety in. I found the best way is to drop the trigger into the slot but do not pin it until the safety is in.

I can never get my safeties in if I pin the trigger first.
View Quote

I had to do it that way with the three I completed as well.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:00:18 PM EDT
[#12]
guys i don't think this is caused by the selector hole being in the wrong location, i think this is caused by the slot where the trigger shoe fits through not being far enough forward..  the front of the trigger cannot go far enough forward so the tail of the trigger does not go down enough causing the the selector to bind on the trigger.  if you take a round chain saw file and open the trigger shoe slot more toward the magwell i think you will find the selector will fit alot better..
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top