Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2014 12:55:23 PM EDT
Is it imperative to torque the castle nut on the buffer tube, or is blue loctite sufficient with a hand tighten, or both?  I do have a torque wrench, so what is torque range if it's absolutely necessary?
I wanna do it the right way, but I see varying opinions in videos.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#1]
A torque wrench is overkill, IMO. I'd stake it though.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Done
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#3]
It needs to be tightened more than you can hand tighten with one of those short stock wrenchs.
View Quote

Since the average guy can break off a 3/8" bolt with a 9" wrench at about 40 pounds, not so much. Snug it down firmly and stake it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:00:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Because I'm really bad about OVERtightening stuff, I use a torque wrench and Spike's castle nut wrench, but a lot of people get by with just "good and tight"  It does take more than one of those 6" or 8" tools to get it tight enough. The castle nut isn't going to just wander off if you get it "good and tight," but staking makes sure of that.  No Loctite.  I use an automatic center punch to stake with - quick, easy, no hammer to bounce off and hit gun/face/hand, etc.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:17:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I used the "good and tight"  method. (disclaimer: I'm a mechanic so that is what I do for a living) I torque the barrel nut but not the castle nut for the buffer tube. I did not stake mine in case I wanted to remove it some day. If it were a personal defense firearm I most likely would have staked it though. I also figured that if it ever came loose I would decide at that time if I would stake it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Done
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#7]
38-42 FOOT POUNDS.

Also, use grease on the threads for the castle nut.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#8]
No loctite. Use grease if you don't plan to stake it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:32:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys, all taken care of, thanks to all the replies. Its good and tight, did not bother to torque down,  no loctite,  and properly staked. Its my first build, and I plan on it being an addition to my home defense arsenal. I appreciate the input!
Thanks a bunch-TS
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:42:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Because I'm really bad about OVERtightening stuff, I use a torque wrench and Spike's castle nut wrench, but a lot of people get by with just "good and tight"  It does take more than one of those 6" or 8" tools to get it tight enough. The castle nut isn't going to just wander off if you get it "good and tight," but staking makes sure of that.  No Loctite.  I use an automatic center punch to stake with - quick, easy, no hammer to bounce off and hit gun/face/hand, etc.
View Quote
I'm certain that an average person can easily get 40 ft lbs with a castle nut tool.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:10:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm certain that an average person can easily get 40 ft lbs with a castle nut tool.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, but it'll feel like a lot more because of how short those things are.  That's the problem: "feel" is absolutely nonrepeatable and prone to error in all sorts of ways.  Since I tend to overdo, I'm even more careful when I use a torque wrench...but I get it right that way.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top