Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2014 8:53:54 PM EDT
So I'm looking at a pistol build using New Frontier Armory parts (note: I'm not a salesman or spokesperson for them). I'd like to use the LW-15 polymer lower and their side charging non-reciprocating upper, with a blackhole weaponry barrel. Being a pistol, I'd use the Sig brace setup to finish it out. To the hive's extensive knowledge, has anyone tried this yet?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#1]
no, but i do have a complete lower from them, and that thing has been through a lot and still functions with no issues, definitely worth it!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto on the lower.  I have two of the polymer lowers, one on a .22 LR and one on a 5.45 x 39.  No problems yet and they have been on there since they first came out with them.  
I have not tried their upper but it is on my RADAR.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#3]
They've been very patient with me asking 1,000 questions after reading topics on here and the guys there are knowledgeable. I've asked them if anyone has this setup and they didn't know of any. I figured I'd ask here.

Did you replace the poly LPK that came with the lower? I don't like the feel of it at all
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:23:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I personally have never used their lower. I have one but never built onto it. My bro and father in law have built numerous rifles with that lower. They have always used regular LPKs  in them NOT the poly ones. Mostly PSA lower build kits. They do have to ream out the holes for pins. I have been told they can crack if u drive in the pins without cleaning up the holes first. All there rifles are well used. No issues whatsoever
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:32:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I know the polymer ones get good reviews but I just can't bring myself to do it. I just built one on their billet lower. I got the blem for 79 bucks and there is no blems on it, it's really nice. Not a side charge but I like how it came out.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:05:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know the polymer ones get good reviews but I just can't bring myself to do it. I just built one on their billet lower. I got the blem for 79 bucks and there is no blems on it, it's really nice. Not a side charge but I like how it came out.

http://i.imgur.com/Jl6VT2w.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/yxGM0Z0.jpg
View Quote

Your rig is VERY close to what I'm looking to do. Can you provide a parts list if you don't mind?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:44:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I am used to a side charging rifle already. So every time I see one of these that is well made I have to consider it.

But, I am also used to the AR as well. And a standard upper cost less. This does not mean I won't eventually own one. But as yet I do not.

DB
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Serious question.  What is the attraction to polymer lowers ?

The downside is many and the upside is ?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:58:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I have built two AR's on their complete polymer lowers. Absolutely no complaints. $109 shipped is the reason I bought them, but now that PSA sells complete lowers for like $140 shipped, the price advantage isn't that great.

The advantages I see are they are a little lighter, easy to clean, will not scratch, and the trigger is actually really nice. Much cleaner and crisper than the PSA mil-spec triggers I have in my other AR's.

I use aluminum lowers now just because of re-sale value in case I decide to sell an AR, people really seem to want to avoid the polymer lowers (those that haven't had one). But as far as the actual function of the NF LW-15, I have zero qualms about using them.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:17:55 AM EDT
[#10]
So that's still a no to the original question?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I've used two of their polymer lowers with good results. Never an issue. The triggers were decent on both with glass like breaks. I always worried about where the tubes thread in and where the pins connect the upper/lower, but as I said, never an issue after a couple thousand rounds through each.
I myself am looking into one of their side charging uppers. Still researching theirs and others....
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I actually work across the I-15 from them. I have never gotten a chance to swing by, but maybe Monday I will and see what I see. A side charging upper has always interested me.I'll chew some ears off with questions.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:29:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I actually work across the I-15 from them. I have never gotten a chance to swing by, but maybe Monday I will and see what I see. A side charging upper has always interested me.I'll chew some ears off with questions.
View Quote

That's what I did. Read a bunch on here, went there and asked questions. They've got great people working the counters and will stand there and answer every single question you have. I like to reward great customer service with my business, so that's what I plan on doing. I just hope the quality of the product is there as well. From what I hear on here, there hasn't been many issues with anything that comes out of their facility. And even if it has, again their customer service comes into play and they make it right.

Well see how it goes when I get going on the build, just need to sell my .22 AR first.

Just thought of this: does anyone know if a side charger requires any different type/style/setup of a gas system? I'm pretty sure it doesn't but I figured I'd ask. I'm planning on a blackhole weaponry 7.5" barrel, making this a pistol build if that helps...
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's what I did. Read a bunch on here, went there and asked questions. They've got great people working the counters and will stand there and answer every single question you have. I like to reward great customer service with my business, so that's what I plan on doing. I just hope the quality of the product is there as well. From what I hear on here, there hasn't been many issues with anything that comes out of their facility. And even if it has, again their customer service comes into play and they make it right.

Well see how it goes when I get going on the build, just need to sell my .22 AR first.

Just thought of this: does anyone know if a side charger requires any different type/style/setup of a gas system? I'm pretty sure it doesn't but I figured I'd ask. I'm planning on a blackhole weaponry 7.5" barrel, making this a pistol build if that helps...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So from what I saw..(handled) the poly lower WILL work. HOWEVER. There is a small hinged trapdoor where the charging handle usually is and it does use the buffer ring to hold it in when attached to the upper. I would hope not, but I'd rather bet on a aluminum lower with that minor stress point. Just my 2c. Why did I volunteer to do this?? I almost had something follow me home

Too bad they don't make a left handed side charger...or one WOULD have followed me lol

ETA in regards to gas system. Regular DI system and bolt work.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:07:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the replies.

As far as the stress points go on the lower, I'm pretty sure I can count on NFA's customer service to make it right should anything happen. I think I'll push forward with the build, and post pics when I start.

I read somewhere they have a left-handed version either on the testing phase, or somewhere close to the drawing board. Not a huge market for them, but enough to fill a niche. Good luck with keeping things from following you home. I haven't figured a way to stop it either...??
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Your rig is VERY close to what I'm looking to do. Can you provide a parts list if you don't mind?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/Jl6VT2w.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/yxGM0Z0.jpg

THAT IS NICE!!

+2 on that parts list.
Was looking at a 2nd pistol build when I finished the current project and that is almost exactly what I was going to do!!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 1:31:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Hopefully that parts list is forth-coming...
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:22:44 AM EDT
[#18]
For those that had to ream out pin holes, what tool did you use?
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I used a little needle file set from harbor freight. It only cost about $2-3. Going slow is the key. File a little, check fit. Your patience will be rewarded. I have built two New Frontier lowers and never had an issue.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I used a little needle file set from harbor freight. It only cost about $2-3. Going slow is the key. File a little, check fit. Your patience will be rewarded. I have built two New Frontier lowers and never had an issue.http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag69/Kentone1k/IMAG0226_zps45bdc2fc.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used a little needle file set from harbor freight. It only cost about $2-3. Going slow is the key. File a little, check fit. Your patience will be rewarded. I have built two New Frontier lowers and never had an issue.http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag69/Kentone1k/IMAG0226_zps45bdc2fc.jpg

Any experience with NFA uppers?
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. In truth, I didn't even know they made uppers.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:48:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This one:
https://newfrontierarmory.com/shop/side-charging-ar-15-stripped-billet-upper-receiver/

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Serious question.  What is the attraction to polymer lowers ?

The downside is many and the upside is ?
View Quote

The upsides are they are slightly lighter, and during the recent shortages they were cheap and available.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#24]
My thoughts on the lowers are if glock can use a poly lower, why can't other weapon systems as well??
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:14:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My thoughts on the lowers are if glock can use a poly lower, why can't other weapon systems as well??
View Quote

GLOCKs  and other poly frame pistols were engineered from the ground up to be polymer. AR15 lowers (except Cav Arms/GWACS CAV15) were not, and that's why a lot of poly lowers fail along the same point.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:26:22 PM EDT
[#26]
So maybe I'll be part of the test group that figures out what works and what doesn't. So be it
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So maybe I'll be part of the test group that figures out what works and what doesn't. So be it
View Quote

It's a pretty easy test. Metal works, plastic breaks.

PS my NFA lower take down pins fit was so shitty I gave it away for $25 during the panic
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#28]
OP asked about NFA side charger uppers. Even used the description in the thread title.

For lack of any relevant posting, here: https://www.google.com/search?q=new+frontier+armory+side+charging+upper+review&oq=new+frontier+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j69i59l3j69i60.23245j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Gibbz makes a nice alternative. Overall, they have my interest, cheaper than ASA. It's a matter of about $130 in cost over a standard GI with FA and LH brass deflector at $60. So, is it worth the $130 more just to side charge it left handed and keep most of the sight picture while you do it? It does touch your face if you shoot nose to the charging handle. It does use a GI BCG, only the cam pin is different and comes with it.

I rate it the same or better than the SB15 brace, lots of cool factor. The GI upper does have 45 years of combat proven utility. It IS ambidextrous, and with the AR bolt hold open, you DON'T have to mess with the charging handle loading a new mag anyway. It's not like it's an AK.

So, what are are getting for our money? $130 won't get you more inherent accuracy, it might allow you to keep your sight picture when the bolt hold open joggles while inserting the mag before it's up and locked. Clearing a jam, could be more helpful, hard to put in numbers, tho. . Again, 45 years of combat proven use, nobody issues a side charger AR. They  have been obsoleting the side charger older designs, and plenty of nations went to the AR.

Are they used in 3Gun, and as a class, do they place high? No good answer. .300BO was invented in the 1980's for 3Gun and we've seen less about sidechargers in competition, unless it's an AK or MBR. They generally don't place well. They do have other issues, like, no bolt hold open and charging against a closed bolt.

If the M16/M4 jams, one method to clear it is to jump on the charging handle with the outside edge of your boot with the weapon pointed away from your torso. Strike the heel of the boot on the latch and it might clear, and you might also bend the handle or damage things. Can we see some testing in that regard with the side charger? No live rounds if possible. Pogo that b---- and see what falls off. It might be easier and do less damage. Doesn't mean it's the right thing to do, but when you absolutely have to get it running in the next thirty seconds, you do what you have to do.

Ever do that? No, and never plan to? Same here, my guns didn't jam so bad it was needed. Good mags don't let rounds pop up and get under the gas tube, proper bolt speeds help keep things in control. In the big picture do we need other controls enhanced? Marines put their money on Norgon, not a side charger. The Army spent money on dry lube in the upper, or going back to full auto, not a side charger. Long range competitors spend money on a right side charger because their left arm is slung up fairly rigidly. Charging right handed for single fire is the intent, to push in an uncrimped bullet into the chamber softly rather than let the bolt face cram it in knocking the axis off line. The charging method is one of feeding it rounds gently.

I have to rate the extra expense with little practical improvement, more an aesthetic one. Side chargers haven't taken off much over the years, pricing could be one issue, a severe lack of hard numbers to prove they do better, another. The only hard number I have is 130 in cash dollars, which is more than 10% of the cost of the completed gun. It won't be 10% better by any measure we can point to in documentation.

I'm probably a lot like everyone else, tho, I'm keeping it bookmarked until I get to that point in the build where I need it, and if I have the money, maybe I will. And, maybe I won't. That could be a 420 round pak of ammo, a red dot, or three tanks of gas, which would last me 6 weeks.

It's all about perspective.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

PS my NFA lower take down pins fit was so shitty I gave it away for $25 during the panic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the contribution to the conversation.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
OP asked about NFA side charger uppers. Even used the description in the thread title.

For lack of any relevant posting, here: https://www.google.com/search?q=new+frontier+armory+side+charging+upper+review&oq=new+frontier+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j69i59l3j69i60.23245j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8
handle loading a new mag anyway. It's not like it's an AK.

I'm probably a lot like everyone else, tho, I'm keeping it bookmarked until I get to that point in the build where I need it, and if I have the money, maybe I will. And, maybe I won't. That could be a 420 round pak of ammo, a red dot, or three tanks of gas, which would last me 6 weeks.

It's all about perspective.
View Quote

Thank you, well said.

For me, going with the side charger is part functionality but a larger part cool factor. Tacticool I think it's called on here. I haven't seen anyone try it yet so why not be the first and report goods, bads, and uglies? Plus, I'm local to Vegas so if something isn't right, I'll put their warranty and customer service to the test.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Update:

Decided on going with the billet lower instead. After talking with the staff at NFA, and the fact I plan on swapping most of the parts of lower out anyways...it makes more sense to get the stripped billet lower. So no more LW-15 lower. Everyone with negative comments about it in the first place can troll elsewhere. Thx
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top