Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/29/2014 2:15:28 PM EDT
$109 for a melonite 1:7 16" socom profile barrel.
Thoughts?
I'd probably chop it to 12.5" and use it with a lonely A1 upper for a retro look.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure why not? Price is right. My only thought is the ability of finding someone that wil cut, thread, crown a Melonited barrel.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sure why not? Price is right. My only thought is the ability of finding someone that wil cut, thread, crown a Melonited barrel.
View Quote

Not something that adco could do?

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:38:57 PM EDT
[#3]
They usually don't do melonited barrels.  Also why put that money into a cheap barrel when you could just buy a 12.5" to start with.

I've read that the Radical barrels are melonited after the extension is installed, which has been know to cause the extension to separate from the barrel when other manufacturers have tried it that way, it is considered a incorrect way to treat the barrel.  Another member posted that they called or emailed them and got that response so may to confirm if that is correct or not before purchasing.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:01:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They usually don't do melonited barrels.  Also why put that money into a cheap barrel when you could just buy a 12.5" to start with.

I've read that the Radical barrels are melonited after the extension is installed, which has been know to cause the extension to separate from the barrel when other manufacturers have tried it that way, it is considered a incorrect way to treat the barrel.  Another member posted that they called or emailed them and got that response so may to confirm if that is correct or not before purchasing.
View Quote

link to $170 12.5"?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

link to $170 12.5"?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

link to $170 12.5"?

Nobody?

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:41:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Nobody?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

link to $170 12.5"?

Nobody?

Not 170 but good barrel, good price.

http://ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/11562/14399
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:24:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

link to $170 12.5"?

Nobody?

I'm generally even adverse to 14.5" Middy's. Can't say that I'm excited about a 12.5" middy...

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:34:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm generally even adverse to 14.5" Middy's. Can't say that I'm excited about a 12.5" middy...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

link to $170 12.5"?

Nobody?

I agree but AR Performance makes good barrels. My guess is they got the gas port size correct.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:38:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

That last part gets me, the problem is the folks that answer the phone at RF know what goes on there and give you accurate info.
I'll be asking this question to them shortly.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:35:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I found this on the RF  Facebook page.

Question -Question on the melonite barrels, are the barrel extensions treated off or on the barrel

Radical Firearms Answer-"Treated on then retorqued to 135 ft/lbs"
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:23:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Question -Question on the melonite barrels, are the barrel extensions treated off or on the barrel

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is a negative thing, right?

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if the headspace is no longer good. Should be fine.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

link to $170 12.5"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

link to $170 12.5"?

I haven't shopped for a deal for you, certainly they do come up although less often than for 10.5" and 11.5"s.  However, I'm not sure where your $170 finished cost is from (you would have shipping both ways at least), but ADCO used to have a disclaimer about surface hardened barrels that is not there anymore, our local gunsmith here will cut them but not pin them, I've put dimples in for set screw on them and it has never seemed that much harder..    I've bought 3 12.5" barrels personally.  My current 3gun rifle is a Compass Lake 12.5", chrome lined from a Douglass Blank with a .223CLE (a hybrid Compass Lake match chamber), with a FSB, them cutting the FSB down and reparking in was $190 for reference I think it would cost you about $50 for the FSB, cutting, reparking, and pinning, they had a overrun earlier this year.  I've had a Daniel Defense CHF Lightweight for $190? (on sale) and a Blackhole Weaponry for $120ish (they used be a lot cheaper 3-4yrs ago before they did Rainier barrels).  If you look around, or wait for a deal you can get a good deal, if your flexible for an 11.5" they are easier to find.  If you need something now a Daniel Defense 12.5 for a little more would be good, they have been great accurate barrels for me.

What was posted about there process does not makes since to me, you would not re-torque it after it has been headspaced and chambered.  It would have been pinned by then so not sure how they can re-torque it.  I though the issue was the pin working itself loose and the barrel becoming loose after that.

edit: Brownells has a CMMG 12.5" it is nitrated and they known reliable for $165 after coupon code.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:20:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I got a virgin Rad barrel from another member thru EE. I started pinning a new FSB on it, and found out the Melonite coating is some damn hard stuff. I have one pin in, so far, but I want to order a couple more bits before I do the second one. I hate to break one in the middle, then have to wait on tooling to show up. I like to get each one done so I don't lose my setup in the middle.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I imagine they could re torque  the same way as before.Index pin in or not.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I got a virgin Rad barrel from another member thru EE. I started pinning a new FSB on it, and found out the Melonite coating is some damn hard stuff. I have one pin in, so far, but I want to order a couple more bits before I do the second one. I hate to break one in the middle, then have to wait on tooling to show up. I like to get each one done so I don't lose my setup in the middle.
View Quote

Ya, adco said they won't pin a FSP to a melonite barrel. I'll use it for another project

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top