Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2014 5:37:59 PM EDT
I was looking at Brownells as they have LPK's on sale from Bushmaster and DPMS but since I am Brand New to all of this I have no idea what a good kit is?

Thank You.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:45:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Both are equally good.

I'd recommend getting a lower parts kit without a trigger and get an alg defense act trigger.

The biggest difference between lower parts kit is trigger quality.

For 95.00 you can have a fantastic trigger and lower parts kit. Brownell alg defense act trigger with lower parts and also Joe Bob outfitters.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I just ordered one from PSA. It's nice, no complaints at all. Joe bob outfitters is awesome as well, for stuff like that. You can order one of their grip screws that adjusts trigger play. Free shipping on orders over 90 bucks I think it is and there is an LEO/mil discount THANKYOU. 5 % off the order.

ETA: That's good advice about the trigger. I ordered mine without the trigger and put a 3.5 lb drop in trigger in it.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#3]
The last LPK I got was off eBay for 35 bucks
I basically just wanted one less trigger but getting one with was cheaper
When it showed up it was an Anderson
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:44:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
here
View Quote

Could you tell me more about HERE? I do not wish to get a stock as I plan to use the ACE Skeleton Short Stock.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also I thought that there was a way to make a standard Trigger better or to say some kind of Trigger work?

And again Thank You for the Replies for a Newbie. :)
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Both are equally good.

I'd recommend getting a lower parts kit without a trigger and get an alg defense act trigger.

For 95.00 you can have a fantastic trigger and lower parts kit. Brownell alg defense act trigger with lower parts and also Joe Bob outfitters.

View Quote

+1

Love my ALG.

ETA: IRONWORKS TACTICAL Barebones LPK You can actually pick which LPK  components you want in your kit. Get all the standard stuff, and one of the ALG triggers he's got. (Unless you want to step up to the really good stuff and get a Geissele)
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:10:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I understand that thus far a few like the ACT Trigger. But can not a person rework the trigger set up that comes in the regular LPK kits to be better?

I am attempting to build a semi low buck AR. But I still wish to use a few parts that accomplish an accurate rifle as I will Hunt with it.

In my limited thinking thus far is to use an ACE Skeleton short stock and a 223/5.56 Wylde Chamber with a 16" barrel in either a 1-7 or 1-8 twist to stabilize the 75-77 Gr Bullets and just a rail to mount a scope. That is about as far as my thinking has got me thus far lol.  

+1

Love my ALG.

ETA: IRONWORKS TACTICAL Barebones LPK You can actually pick which LPK  components you want in your kit. Get all the standard stuff, and one of the ALG triggers he's got. (Unless you want to step up to the really good stuff and get a Geissele)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Both are equally good.

I understand that thus far a few like the ACT Trigger. But can not a person rework the trigger set up that comes in the regular LPK kits to be better?

I am attempting to build a semi low buck AR. But I still wish to use a few parts that accomplish an accurate rifle as I will Hunt with it.

In my limited thinking thus far is to use an ACE Skeleton short stock and a 223/5.56 Wylde Chamber with a 16" barrel in either a 1-7 or 1-8 twist to stabilize the 75-77 Gr Bullets and just a rail to mount a scope. That is about as far as my thinking has got me thus far lol.  

+1

Love my ALG.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been buying the RRA kits from DOA...they are roughly $60.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:30:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Starts at just 24.95, very quick shipping, great customer service, cant say enough good things about them!

http://www.redbarnarmory.com/RBA-Build-your-own-LPK-p/rbalpkcustom.htm
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:22:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Starts at just 24.95, very quick shipping, great customer service, cant say enough good things about them!

View Quote

I 2nd, 3rd and 4th this.  You can choose your grip, Safety, Trigger, Trigger Guard, Takedown/Pivot Pin or just get basic LPK.  Great Price, Great Product and you get it your way... What is not to like?  Also customer service is great.  When I ordered mine it came with a BCM Mod1 instead of the Mod0 I wanted.  They express shipped me one same day I called and it was here in 2 days with a return envelope for the one they sent by mistake.  You cannot go wrong with this!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:26:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

^^^THIS^^^
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:19:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I 2nd, 3rd and 4th this.  You can choose your grip, Safety, Trigger, Trigger Guard, Takedown/Pivot Pin or just get basic LPK.  Great Price, Great Product and you get it your way... What is not to like?  Also customer service is great.  When I ordered mine it came with a BCM Mod1 instead of the Mod0 I wanted.  They express shipped me one same day I called and it was here in 2 days with a return envelope for the one they sent by mistake.  You cannot go wrong with this!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is Great. But Since I know almost O about this stuff as I noted previously I would have no idea what to pick from what or why.

I would also like to ask 1 HUGE Forum Question. How does one get E-Mail when there is a response to a thread?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:02:32 AM EDT
[#13]
if you are building a basic and first time build, I would just go with a standard lpk.

the brownelles bushmaster one I think is the cheapest right now at under 50 bucks.
If you have a FFL friend that can order it for you, you can get it at 40 I think.
quality name brand, so no issues.

Palmetto state armory has sales in the 40-50 dollar range for theirs and they too are fine.
people tend to stay away from the PTAC line however, so pay attention. some say they are ok, others did not like them.
price diff is usually only about 10 bucks, so not worth the risk imo.

the "higher end" not necessarily better, but could be considered better by some, would be the RRA or CMMG kits you see out.
they generally run around 60-70 bucks. sometimes you can find them on sale at places.
Generally there are 2 or 3 guys selling these on the equipment exchange here.

Any of those should be fine, from any of those sources for a basic build.

people that talk about better triggers etc are talking about how the trigger feels when shooting.
and while that can be important, it is mostly for accuracy improvement, not just having a basic build.
when you get to that point, you might have a few gi trigger and hammer sets laying around after you replace them.
otherwise, what you get in the kits are just fine.

wait till you have shot it a bit and decide. don't just upgrade now. it could be 40 to 300 bucks you never care to spend if you are happy with what is in the kit.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#14]
My favorite deal is from Joebob's. If you order an ALG FCG after you add to cart you  get the option to buy  rest of the LPK for about $24.00. At least that's how it used to work  there. Pretty good deal.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Both are equally good.

For 95.00 you can have a fantastic trigger and lower parts kit. Brownell alg defense act trigger with lower parts and also Joe Bob outfitters
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Both are equally good.

For 95.00 you can have a fantastic trigger and lower parts kit. Brownell alg defense act trigger with lower parts and also Joe Bob outfitters

I just built two AR's and went down the frugal path for one and the slightly better for the 2nd.  My better trigger is a stock type trigger in a Spikes Tactical LPK.  Other is a LPK that was part of a rifle completion kit from Del-ton- so Del-ton or whatever parts they use for the trigger group.  Having only dry fired each, the Spikes may be a trace better, but that is likely just me wanting it to be better for the extra $ spent.  The overall feel is about the same, maybe a trace better smoothness in the spikes, but again debatable.  The machining on the Spikes was a bit nicer though.  If I build another, I will be going the ACT trigger people talk about.  Then I may buy a Geisselle(sp?) that people talk about too, if I end up shooting a lot.  I tend to do a fair bit of research, and like to try out mods that tend to make a marked improvement.  Hope that experience helps.  My rationale for doing what I did, was that I didn't want to spend the $ up front, and I do want to shoot the stock type setups to see if it bothers me or not.  At this point in my skill level I feel the extra bits would be nice and all, but it would be better for me to put that $ into ammo for range time, to gain skills, and then better be able to appreciate mods for what they could then give me performance wise.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You can go either way; just really depends on you.  If you think you will definitely upgrade in the future; get the better parts now and save the $ down the road.  I'm not familiar with what the Wylde chamber gives you vs a standard 5.56, but if you are on  a budget, check out the PSA deal sections.  I think the 1:7 twist is what you want.  I only see 1:7 and 1:9 in most barrels I've seen in 5.56.  300BO and others would be different of course.  Personally, I went  budget at first due to the reasons I explained in my other post.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

+1

Love my ALG.
You can go either way; just really depends on you.  If you think you will definitely upgrade in the future; get the better parts now and save the $ down the road.  I'm not familiar with what the Wylde chamber gives you vs a standard 5.56, but if you are on  a budget, check out the PSA deal sections.  I think the 1:7 twist is what you want.  I only see 1:7 and 1:9 in most barrels I've seen in 5.56.  300BO and others would be different of course.  Personally, I went  budget at first due to the reasons I explained in my other post.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Also, regarding the Spikes.  If I was buying another LPK now I'd probably get a spikes lower with out trigger group.  Example here http://www.primaryarms.com/Spike_s_Tactical_Lower_Parts_Kit_Without_FC_p/slpk100.htm.  Then pick up that ALG ACT trigger.  I guess it would just depend on what the goal of that gun would be.  I built two AR's so if I built another it will probably be a higher end(for me lol, cheap for some I'm sure) 20" barrel with free floating front grip area.  So I would want  a higher end trigger for that setup.  If I was building a budget plinker, I would probably just pick up a standard LPK.  Someone linked the Bushmaster LPK for $49 or so, and search slick deals for coupons for free shipping etc...  As you stated you were going to eventually hunt with it, scoped, the better trigger may be a good choice though.  I can say with confidence the Spikes LPK did have nicer hardware for mag release, detent pins, etc...  SS pins vs brass I believe.  The cheaper LPK kit I had, the safety was a bear to get working at first as it wanted to hang up on the detent pin.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Could you tell me more about HERE? I do not wish to get a stock as I plan to use the ACE Skeleton Short Stock.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also I thought that there was a way to make a standard Trigger better or to say some kind of Trigger work?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
here

The PSA kits from AIM are the way to go.  You will get the kit in about a week compared to 3 weeks ordered from PSA.

Sell what you don't want and its a good kit for the price.  

Buy some JP 3.5lb yellow springs from Brownells, Joe Bobs or Primary arms and it will drop the poundage around 5lbs.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#19]
tagscribe
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top