Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2014 6:57:02 AM EDT
Is it common for a floating guards nut to not fit  /  slide over a bull barrel?

The issue
Barrel steps up past the block and is .40 bigger than the ID of the nut … the part of the nut the guard screws to.

In your opinions …. when I cut the nut
How much clearance should I give ?… assuming it shouldn’t be touching the barrel

And no
Maker of the guard doesn’t offer a correct nut and has now told me after buying it … their guard cant go on a bull.
Would have been nice if they told me that before I ordered it when I told them exactly what I was doing….now im kinda committed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:20:45 AM EDT
[#1]
BTW
I could just as easily chuck up the barrel and cut it but I was thinking better to cut the ID or the nut yes?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#2]
no one?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is it common for a floating guards nut to not fit  /  slide over a bull barrel?

The issue
Barrel steps up past the block and is .40 bigger than the ID of the nut … the part of the nut the guard screws to.

In your opinions …. when I cut the nut
How much clearance should I give ?… assuming it shouldn’t be touching the barrel

And no
Maker of the guard doesn’t offer a correct nut and has now told me after buying it … their guard cant go on a bull.
Would have been nice if they told me that before I ordered it when I told them exactly what I was doing….now im kinda committed.
View Quote

No, it's not common.  That said if you are using an abnormally large bull barrel, it could be an issue, especially if you are using a product from a low volume manufacture.

If it takes more than .22" of radius turning from the ID then you've taken to much.  I assume that the threaded areas still fit over then barrel right?  Essentially you don't want to disturb the threads and you don't want to reduce the shoulder on the inside of the nut to the point that it doesn't have a good engagement area on the barrel extension.

Who makes your barrel and who makes your freefloat?

Wes
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:53:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Stag barrel
Parallax guard
Yes threaded part clears fine … past the threads it steps down

The main thing im wondering is how much clearance is necessary in the sleeve area that covers the first part of the barrel.
As in  when things heat up …. I’m thinking if I need 40 thousands for it to clear I should probably take 22 ish making for 44 more ID?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:54:26 PM EDT
[#5]
normally barrels are .975 at the shank
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you tried a milspec barrel nut to see if it will pass over?  If so you can use it as a size reference.  Also, if it passes over you could simply go with a MIDWEST INDUSTRIES rail system since the barrel nut they use is essentially a milspec nut with the star placed on the opposite end.

Wes
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had to bore out the ID of some barrel nuts over the years to fit over some bull barrels that were 1.00" or larger back by the barrel extension flange.  This can happen.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:35:31 PM EDT
[#8]
No I haven’t tried any other nut (don’t have any)
Here’s the thing ….. I got about a 200 dollar discount on this  complete upper so I couldn’t pass it up.
The only thing I didn’t like about it was the Hogue tube guard …. No problem ill just get the Parallax guard iv been lusting for anyway.
Hand guard  mounts to the barrel nut … so I need to use the nut

I had to get another gas block also
So im in this hand guard almost 270 bucks …. Im making it work.
Off at 6:00 to the machine shop … we talked on the phone … he said no problem
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have had to bore out the ID of some barrel nuts over the years to fit over some bull barrels that were 1.00" or larger back by the barrel extension flange.  This can happen.
View Quote

Yes ser
The barrel OD is 1.045 ........ the nut ID is 1.012
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#10]
If anyone’s interested the machining went well … sort of

He decided to use the hone to increase the ID of the nut … I suspect because of a long term project he didn’t want to remove from the lathe.

So he used the Sunnin hone machine that he generally use’s for all the connecting rods
It went really good until he ran out of adjustment because the stones were worn out.
We only got to 1.043 ….  It needs to be at least 1.046
So ill be driving 60 miles again to finish it when the new stones decide to get there … it should work out fine
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Funny enough... I was thinking about this last night in my shop. A drum brake cylinder hone would probably work.

Wes
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah a wheel cylinder hone would possibly work …. But this is what we are using for …  works for sure
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes ser
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes ser

Just open up the ID until it fits over your barrel.  That's about all you can do with your current parts.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Funny enough... I was thinking about this last night in my shop. A drum brake cylinder hone would probably work.

Wes
View Quote

I have actually used a fine grit 1" diameter drum sander on my drill press and done it by hand.  Slow and careful and you can open up the hole in the nut just fine.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top