Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2014 12:09:06 AM EDT
I just ordered my Mega nickel boron set last night....so now it's about time to start my build! So stoked.

Anyways, every time I see someone post about which llc-tite or grease to use on what component...it just kicks off an argument and everyone starts going back and fourth between like 400 different loc-tite colors and shit. So is there a list or manual somewhere that defines what grease/loc-tite to put on which specific components as per mil spec?

I used search function. I also used google. So far I've been shit out of luck, so once again I've posted what may seem like a stupid ass question. Any chance you can help a brotha out? Thanks in advance!

-Andrew
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:12:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Its easy......do not use Loctite on any part of an AR except the adjustment screws on aftermarket triggers.  It is absolutely unnecessary if the fasteners are properly torqued.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:11:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its easy......do not use Loctite on any part of an AR except the adjustment screws on aftermarket triggers.  It is absolutely unnecessary if the fasteners are properly torqued.
View Quote

Glad to hear that, since loc-tite has not been my friend in the past. So.....try to get some unobtanium....I mean Aeroshell 33ms and I should be all gucci or?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:20:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah get some Aeroshell 33ms and you'll be gucci.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:23:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yeah get some Aeroshell 33ms and you'll be gucci.

View Quote

This just made my whole weekend. <3
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Glad to hear that, since loc-tite has not been my friend in the past. So.....try to get some unobtanium....I mean Aeroshell 33ms and I should be all gucci or?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/AeroShell-Extreme-Pressure-Grease-MIL-21164D/dp/B00FSD37CM

That's more than you'll ever need. Find some empty bottles, fill them, and sell them. Makes a great stocking stuffer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:19:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I ordered the 2oz tub of KG-11 moly grease from Midway. Think it was about $17, which is spendy, but since I'm applying it with a q-tip ... it ought to last. And good lord that moly gets EVERYWHERE. Wear clothes you don't care about and have paper towels handy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:40:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/AeroShell-Extreme-Pressure-Grease-MIL-21164D/dp/B00FSD37CM

That's more than you'll ever need. Find some empty bottles, fill them, and sell them. Makes a great stocking stuffer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's on Amazon.

I found that yesterday, and was pretty impressed. Thanks though!
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:09:02 AM EDT
[#8]
When assembling an AR15, all that is needed is a MIL-G-21164D / NATO G-353 compliant grease (i.e. Aeroshell 33MS, Royco 64, Braycote 664, NYCO GN 17, Arpolube 21164) for the barrel nut, castle nut, and lower receiver extension. Also whatever lubricant you will use on your weapon (i.e. when assembling weapon use on roll pins, trigger/hammer pins, pivot/takedown pins, etc), and a high temperature thread locker (i.e. low-profile gas block set screws, buis screws, etc).

When using loctite, apply only a tiny dot to the middle of the threaded portion of the shank (do not apply all the way around fastener). This is where I'm thinking people have problems using thread lockers because they over-apply it. Then allow it to dry before screwing the fastener in place. You are not wanting to glue the fastner in place, so the goal is to create a friction point, so the fastener does not back out. Just like how nylon locknuts work. Even when using a thread locker, this does not negate from still having to properly torque the fastener the proper amount which is determined by the fasteners size.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:34:47 AM EDT
[#9]
LocTite is for screws that need to stay in place; it all melts at something over 450ºF, so anything around the barrel is probably not going to benefit from it.  If the accessory manufacturer (say, a rail maker) says to use a specific thread locker, use it.  Otherwise it's not needed.

On the other hand, the grease recommended in the TM (see the list of various brands in a previous post) is needed to do a couple of things: get the correct torque using TM procedures, and to keep the steel barrel nut from galling or seizing on the aluminum upper.  It takes a very small dab of the grease for the barrel nut or any other step that the TM calls for use of grease.  If Umbrella Corp wasn't out of stock, you could get 1/2 oz of it for $5 delivered, and that would last you quite a while.

You will find plenty of references to people using any old axle grease or whatever on their barrel nuts, and it's their gun so they can do what they want with it.  I spent a little over $20 a few years ago and got a 14oz tube of AeroShell 33MS...the cost is higher now, but not by much, and that tube will last me for years to come.  If I'm spending extra to get high quality parts, why should I go cheap with WalMart's lowest cost, who-knows-what's-in-it grease when for $20-$30 shipped, I can use a high quality grease (and have a whole lot left over)?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:48:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is where I got my Aeroshell Grease 33MS, $4.49 for 10 ml. He ships quickly so I had it in just a few days. Free shipping too.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201044778028?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks.  Going to start my first build soon.  Good information is always welcomed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#12]
This is a tech forum. Don't do that again - Eric802
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Rub some Aeroshell 33ms on your goochie. That would be gnar gnar
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umbrella Corp specifically warns against using AeroShell 33MS as a personal lubricant.  Really.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would be shredding the GNAR every single day if I did that. No word yet on whether or not that would be a good thing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:19:19 PM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umbrella Corp specifically warns against using AeroShell 33MS as a personal lubricant.  Really.

Lmao!
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:21:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I would be shredding the GNAR every single day if I did that. No word yet on whether or not that would be a good thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All I do is shred gnarly gooch all day errday, cant nobody fuck with it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:25:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I like GPL 226 , but it's a little spendy
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:33:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Loctite is good for screws you don't want to come out.  Ive had screws come out on the fasteners for rails, gas block set screws and scope rings/bases.  So that's where I put a dab of loctite.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use a good dose of Loc-Tite and you won't wear out your GNAR GNAR in any hurry !
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:05:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Too much crap to edit. This is a tech forum, keep the nonsense in General Discussions.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top