Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2014 6:32:55 PM EDT
I need to remove my ejector but don't have a special tool. What's the best way to go about it?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I need to remove my ejector but don't have a special tool. What's the best way to go about it?
View Quote

I use the firing pin.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I use the firing pin.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use the firing pin.

For the ejector or extractor???
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use the firing pin.

Maybe I am confused

On the bolt..?
Extractor/ ejector..
Same thing? ?

Eta: the (for lack of a better term) removable lug on the bolt, with the spring under it??

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:58:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You may have me confused

On the bolt..?
Extractor/ ejector..
Same thing? ?

Eta: the (for lack of a better term) removable lug on the bolt, with the spring under it??

You can push it out with the firing pin..
And it is reusable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use the firing pin.

You may have me confused

On the bolt..?
Extractor/ ejector..
Same thing? ?

And it is reusable.

Different parts different function.

Extractor about 1 inch long held in place with a pin with a spring under it the front length of the bolt.  It grabs the rim of the cartridge or fired case to pull it out of the chamber

Ejector, look at face of bolt on the inter surface as you look at the firing pin hole... surrounded by the locking lugs.  Think ARFCOM bolt face logo. It is cylindrical pin and is held in a hole by a small pin with a spring behind it. When a round is seated in the chamber the ejector is pressed flush with the face of the bolt. As the case extracts from the chamber... finally clearing the barrel extension the spring pushing against the case head as the spring becomed uncompressed as the case is ejected from the bolt face and out the ejection port.

The ejector is under considerable spring tension and takes a special tool to disassemble.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/bolt-tools/ejector-tools/ar-15-m16-ar-style-308-bolt-ejector-tool-prod18759.aspx
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:03:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Extractor about 1 inch long held in place with a pin with a spring under it the front length of the bolt.  It grabs the rim of the cartridge or fired case to pull it out of the chamber

Ejector, look at face of bolt on the inter surface as you look at the firing pin hole... surrounded by the locking lugs.  Think ARFCOM bolt face logo. It is cylindrical pin and is held in a hole by a small pin with a spring behind it. When a round is seated in the chamber the ejector is pressed flush with the face of the bolt. As the case extracts from the chamber... finally clearing the barrel extension the spring pushing against the case head as the spring becomed uncompressed as the case is ejected from the bolt face and out the ejection port.

The ejector is under considerable spring tension and takes a special tool to disassemble.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/bolt-tools/ejector-tools/ar-15-m16-ar-style-308-bolt-ejector-tool-prod18759.aspx
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use the firing pin.

You may have me confused

On the bolt..?
Extractor/ ejector..
Same thing? ?

And it is reusable.

Thank you.
I did not know that.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I've done it with and without the tool. If you do it without the tool, buy a couple extra springs and ejectors beforehand.

The 'best' way without the tool is clamp it in a vice with wooden blocks and a rock or something depressing the ejector. Then hold a puch with one hand, a hammer with your other hand, and stop the bolt from rotating when you strike the punch with your third hand.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I do ejectors all the time using a cartridge case as a tool to depress the ejector while driving out the pin.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:31:24 AM EDT
[#9]
My question is WHY is ejector removal needed?  I've shot some bolts so much that they crack or shear a lug and never had to replace an ejector.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:36:36 AM EDT
[#10]
An ejector tool is not that expensive and makes it slam dunk easy, otherwise a shortened case and a vise.

Why = headspace check, cleaning and inspection, spring replacement, ejector replacement, etc.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:56:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Hail Mary:
My question is WHY is ejector removal needed?  I've shot some bolts so much that they crack or shear a lug and never had to replace an ejector.
View Quote

Headspace check.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:01:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They make special AR specific headspace gauges that do not require removal of the ejector.
View Quote

Or you can grind ejector relief on the one you have.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:38:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Headspace check.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By Hail Mary:

Headspace check.

I bought a mil headspace gauge on the EE several years ago. It was the best money I ever spent. It does not have a rim like the commercial headspace gauges, so I never need to disassemble a bolt to check headspace!
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:08:37 PM EDT
[#15]
dead simple way to hold the bolt for removal of ejector or extractor.......does require a vise....." />

" />
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:07:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
dead simple way to hold the bolt for removal of ejector or extractor.......does require a vise.....http://<a href=http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k60/DanaHillen/DSCN3526.jpg~original</a>" />

<a href="http://s85.photobucket.com/user/DanaHillen/media/DSCN3525.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k60/DanaHillen/DSCN3525.jpg~original</a>

http://<a href=http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k60/DanaHillen/DSCN3522.jpg~original</a>" />
View Quote

Neat idea.  I'm all thumbs when it comes  to "tapping out" pins, though, and I'd go for something like the commercially available tools.

OP, take a look at Brownell's tool here:

On the left, is a collar that holds the bolt head by the lugs - it lines up the ejector retainer pin over a clearance hole to catch the pin. On the right is a part that lets you  apply pressure to the ejector by screwing it toward the bolt.  This particular tool has a movable part that supports either 5.56mm bolts (lined up in the picture) or .308 bolts.

Now put two and two together, and rig a chunk of wood that holds the bolt lugs on one end (maybe with a pair of finishing nails the right distance apart?), and has an "L" bracket to support a bolt you turn toward the bolt face.  For cheap and easy, use a 1/4-20 bolt and nut, and stick a .380 case over the end to push against the bolt face.  Drill a hole under the position of the ejector pin - better yet, drill one on either side (that's a limitation of the Brownell's tool).   Maybe not "production" or "high volume shop" quality, but definitely doable.

In my armorer class, we learned how to use a simple bench block and another punch to hold a little pressure on the ejector when driving out the pin.  No pictures handy and it's not a simple thing to explain with words, or I'd post it here...  I'll try to get pictures to post.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They make special AR specific headspace gauges that do not require removal of the ejector.
View Quote

Link to one you recommend?  Need to buy one soon, I'd rather not disassemble a brand new bolt if I can avoid it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:07:12 PM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link to one you recommend?  Need to buy one soon, I'd rather not disassemble a brand new bolt if I can avoid it.

http://www.billricca.com/collectors_corner.htm

Scroll down.

Wow.  Nice!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:17:26 PM EDT
[#20]

This is the one I got from Bill Ricca

034 by BLACKLIGHT007, on Flickr

035 by BLACKLIGHT007, on Flickr
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top