Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2014 1:32:48 PM EDT
I'm working on a parts list for a build for my wife and she wants a Flip-Up style Front Sight Tower.  She was interested in both the VLTOR unit and the YHM.  Looks like the VLTOR offers both a clamp style and pinned.

I need to send her barrel to ADCO to have a muzzle device pinned on anyway so would you recommend going for the pinned front sight tower as well?  Or, would you recommend the clamp-on style to save the $90ish ADCO would charge to pin on the sight tower?

If you suggest the clamp-on models, how difficult is it to get that thing perfectly straight?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:20:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Get her a low profile gb and free float rail with flip up sights...
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:31:40 PM EDT
[#2]
That would be may suggestion also.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:43:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get her a low profile gb and free float rail with flip up sights...
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:17:23 PM EDT
[#4]
That's what I mean.  She wants a flip up front sight tower, not a flip up on the handguard.  She doesn't like the way longer rails over a LP gas block look.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Clamp on has the best chance of being accurate, pinned on is the most reliable. Is it a combat gun or a target gun?
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:33:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That's what I mean.  She wants a flip up front sight tower, not a flip up on the handguard.  She doesn't like the way longer rails over a LP gas block look.
View Quote

Take her back.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:11:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Clamp on has the best chance of being accurate, pinned on is the most reliable. Is it a combat gun or a target gun?
View Quote

I kinda agree with this. If it is just a range/fun/comp gun I'd go clamp on and not worry a bit. I like pinned for duty guns though.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:53:34 AM EDT
[#8]
FWIW, ...

I made a dissy style with the Armalite clamp on FSB.    I was initially worried about it being unreliable vs a pinned.  If I had only stayed off the internet I never would have known the difference.

YES, a pin will be mo stronga.   But I sure can't tell.   The gun is a farm gun.   It gets knocked around slightly and has never moved on me.  Im sure a soldier can break it in short order.   But be realistic.    

THE BEST advantage for clamp on fsb is that you can zero with the front sight and then have a rifle with mechanical zero at the rear too.  

A ways back someone, (MillMonkey?) got a vise and a BFwrench and then twisted a vltor clamp on to the point it was destroying the index pin, receiver and sight tower.   The clamp on the barrel didn't budge.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:58:41 AM EDT
[#9]
found it..   scroll down a lil
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:49:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I have several of the YHM clamp on type in use.
The advantage of the YHM is it can be removed and replaced with a pinned FS.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top