AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
80% Lowers Summary (Page 2 of 7)
Page / 7
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:45:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sixtysixdeuce:

Not that I don't agree it's a far better way to go, but the investment is quite a bit more.

One can get a small drill press for under $100 and a jig for about the same, routers (or a cross slide table) can be had for under $50.  

I don't think you can find the HF/Sieg mini-mills for under $550 +tax/shipping (new, anyway).

Having said that, the speed with which you can complete the lower and the finish you'll get with even those cheap mini mills are vastly superior to what can be accomplished with ordinary garage tools like the drill press and router.  However, should one decide to go with the mini mill, there are a couple of essential accessories for turning out decent work.

-Ditch the drill chuck they come with.  The HF/Sieg/Grizzly mini mill has an R8 spindle taper, and you should absolutely use collets for milling.  A small collet set in 1/16 increments runs as little as $60.

-Either a good clamping block set or (most likely your best option) a decent machine vise; 4" is a good size for these mini mills.

I had one of these little machines for years before I got my Lagun FTV-2 (still have it for smaller secondary operations), and with a 4" tilt-swivel vise and DRO's, you can do quite a bit.  They will never be able to make chips and hold tolerances the way a quality full size mill does, but if you're patient and your projects smaller, they are very useful.   Add a tilt/swivel vise, a rotary table and a small indexer, the possibilities become almost endless.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Ya know for the cost of a jig, drill press.and router, you could have an entry level mini mill. If you ever want to do more than just 80%'ers you'll have a lot more options. Spring for a little more and BRD will be the least of your worries.

Not that I don't agree it's a far better way to go, but the investment is quite a bit more.

One can get a small drill press for under $100 and a jig for about the same, routers (or a cross slide table) can be had for under $50.  

I don't think you can find the HF/Sieg mini-mills for under $550 +tax/shipping (new, anyway).

Having said that, the speed with which you can complete the lower and the finish you'll get with even those cheap mini mills are vastly superior to what can be accomplished with ordinary garage tools like the drill press and router.  However, should one decide to go with the mini mill, there are a couple of essential accessories for turning out decent work.

-Ditch the drill chuck they come with.  The HF/Sieg/Grizzly mini mill has an R8 spindle taper, and you should absolutely use collets for milling.  A small collet set in 1/16 increments runs as little as $60.

-Either a good clamping block set or (most likely your best option) a decent machine vise; 4" is a good size for these mini mills.

I had one of these little machines for years before I got my Lagun FTV-2 (still have it for smaller secondary operations), and with a 4" tilt-swivel vise and DRO's, you can do quite a bit.  They will never be able to make chips and hold tolerances the way a quality full size mill does, but if you're patient and your projects smaller, they are very useful.   Add a tilt/swivel vise, a rotary table and a small indexer, the possibilities become almost endless.

I have to agree with this. I am seriously considering a mini mill. The biggest issue is finding one for what I want to spend.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:28:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:55:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sixtysixdeuce] [#3]
The one from Harbor Freight seems to be best option for the price (with the 20% coupon). None of mine carry them locally so I'll also have to pay shipping. I have seen one or two on the used market.
View Quote

Gotta pay tax, too, because there's a store in your state (assuming your state has sales tax).

If you maintain the machine and keep the gibs tight, they can turn out good work.  If you use collets instead of the drill chuck, the head is that much closer to the table and that much more rigid.

This seller ((discount machine) is one I've dealt with, they offer good prices and communication.  The Shars tool line certainly ain't top end, but a good value:

Collet set: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHARS-13-Piece-Precision-R8-Collet-Set-NEW-/330719644028?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item4d006d497c

4" swivel vise: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHARS-4x4-1-8x1-1-4-Lock-Down-Precision-Milling-Machine-Vise-w-Swivel-Base-NEW-/330717190280?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item4d0047d888

4" tilt/swivel vise: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-TILTING-2-WAY-TILT-360-SWIVEL-ANGLE-MILLING-VISE-NEW-/331099576527?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item4d171298cf

6" Rotary table: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Horizontal-Vertical-Rotary-Table-/281250146876?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item417bd0aa3c

I would not go smaller than 4" on the vise and 6" on a rotary table; the smaller units just aren't rigid enough for much of anything.  As far as cutters go, always a good idea to watch used lots, as they can be quite pricey new.  If you intend to do mild steels and anything softer, HSS cutters are fine.  If you plan to cut chromoly steels, tool steels or titanium, you need to spend the money for carbide.  

Fair warning: the little machines can get cranky cutting steel, or if you try to take big bites of anything.  You'll have to get used to running them, and understand their quirks and limitations.  For instance, a good, tight full size mill will hold tolerances going back and forth from conventional to climb milling, so long as you account for cutter flex.  These little guys can wiggle quite a bit switching direction.  Also be aware that they are not reversible in factory configuration, so avoid LH cutters.

These mills are also upgradeable in other ways (belt drive, for one), and people have successfully added CNC stepper motors to all 3 axis.  If you intend to work steel or softer aluminums, you may also consider setting up a coolant flooding system, which can be done pretty cheaply with a 5 gallon bucket, a fish tank pump, some tubing and a couple gallons of automotive coolant (certain makes of global coolant are nearly clear, too)

The HF is the same product as the Sieg X2 and Grizzly G8689

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:17:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Ha, bought mine after several weeks or months of coming back to this same link several times.  I ended up with the LMS HiTorque.  and while if doing 80%'ers it's more than plenty, and having a small footprint is VERY nice, I'm sure I will eventually end up with a full size knee mill.  But I have the space and it will do a LOT more than 80's.  In fact, I have no plans to off the LMS mini.  

My "old" milling thread My LMS HiTorque Mini-Mill
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:04:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By medicmandan:

The one from Harbor Freight seems to be best option for the price (with the 20% coupon).  None of mine carry them locally so I'll also have to pay shipping.  I have seen one or two on the used market.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
Originally Posted By DavidLee_64:
Ya know for the cost of a jig, drill press.and router, you could have an entry level mini mill. If you ever want to do more than just 80%'ers you'll have a lot more options. Spring for a little more and BRD will be the least of your worries.

I have to agree with this. I am seriously considering a mini mill. The biggest issue is finding one for what I want to spend.

The one from Harbor Freight seems to be best option for the price (with the 20% coupon).  None of mine carry them locally so I'll also have to pay shipping.  I have seen one or two on the used market.

I have one of these. Very solid, I was able to pick it up when it was on sale for $400 and had a 25% of coupon. I have completed six lowers and some friends of mine have completed around 20 or so lowers. All I ask is a case of beer or a bottle of bourbon and a good cigar or two for machine rental and guidance.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:08:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:40:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I haven't seen it that low. Been watching them for months and the lowest I've seen is the current $549
View Quote

He must've grabbed it during one of their parking lot sales or something.  They were $499 when I bought, and that was a decade ago.  However, HF has a 25% coupon on their website right now, which would make that mill $412.

In fact, I have no plans to off the LMS mini.
View Quote

No good reason to; they're useful to keep around for smaller/secondary operations, especially considering how little you get for them.  I still use mine all the time, despite having a Lagun FTV-2.  If, for instance, I only need to make a small cut that requires a compound angle, rather than mess with the vise on my Lagun and have to re-square it afterward,  I just walk over to the mini mill and use the tilt/swivel vise.  Or if I need to cut parallel V-grooves in something, it's a lot easier to tilt the column on the mini than to loosen and rotate the head on the Lagun, and then I have to tram the thing back in.  Because the mini is really only used for ops that don't require accuracy of <30" or 0.001 per inch, I don't worry about indicating the vise or tramming the head on it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:53:26 PM EDT
[#9]

He must've grabbed it during one of their parking lot sales or something.  They were $499 when I bought, and that was a decade ago.  However, HF has a 25% coupon on their website right now, which would make that mill $412.

No good reason to; they're useful to keep around for smaller/secondary operations, especially considering how little you get for them.  I still use mine all the time, despite having a Lagun FTV-2.  If, for instance, I only need to make a small cut that requires a compound angle, rather than mess with the vise on my Lagun and have to re-square it afterward,  I just walk over to the mini mill and use the tilt/swivel vise.  Or if I need to cut parallel V-grooves in something, it's a lot easier to tilt the column on the mini than to loosen and rotate the head on the Lagun, and then I have to tram the thing back in.  Because the mini is really only used for ops that don't require accuracy of <30" or 0.001 per inch, I don't worry about indicating the vise or tramming the head on it.
View All Quotes
I haven't seen it that low. Been watching them for months and the lowest I've seen is the current $549

In fact, I have no plans to off the LMS mini.

Reckon I better get my ass in gear, lol. I just printed the coupon, since it expires tomorrow (12-21) and see what is available. I am in a sales tax free state, so that also saves a few $$  
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#10]
The SIEG X2D is currently on sale for $499 until 12/23/14 on LittleMachineShop.com. That's awesome. But I already blew my "fun" money for the month. I've got White Oak holding a 7.5" pistol barrel for me until the week after Christmas. I was planning on getting both the AR-15 and the AR-10 jigs from 80%. But if I can find another sale on mini mills, I think that would be the way to go. Assuming I'm only going to do 80% lowers, is the SIEG X2D just as capable as the HiTorque 3990? The SIEG looks to be a few hundred less.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Holes:
The SIEG X2D is currently on sale for $499 until 12/23/14 on LittleMachineShop.com. That's awesome. But I already blew my "fun" money for the month. I've got White Oak holding a 7.5" pistol barrel for me until the week after Christmas. I was planning on getting both the AR-15 and the AR-10 jigs from 80%. But if I can find another sale on mini mills, I think that would be the way to go. Assuming I'm only going to do 80% lowers, is the SIEG X2D just as capable as the HiTorque 3990? The SIEG looks to be a few hundred less.
View Quote

Just compare the mills on column 2 & column 3 in the chart I posted"
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:

View All Quotes

Also, if you spend about $100 on DROs you can save ~$200 on jigs.  You'll get a lot more ROI from the DROs than you will the jigs as jigs are not necessary with a mill.  On these smaller machines that may have questionable tollerances and sometimes terrible backlash, DROs are worth every penny.  I'm running a cheap set of iGaging from eBay.  I'm sure there are better for more, but for the $ and my needs, these are perfect.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#13]
They look almost identical but for the HP rating. I wouldn't think that would cause an issue on finishing lowers. However I am not highly experienced in machining. Done a little here and there. My guess is both would be fine machines for what I intend to do.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:25:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DavidLee_64] [#14]
Originally Posted By AFCarbon15:

Also, if you spend about $100 on DROs you can save ~$200 on jigs.  You'll get a lot more ROI from the DROs than you will the jigs as jigs are not necessary with a mill.  On these smaller machines that may have questionable tollerances and sometimes terrible backlash, DROs are worth every penny.  I'm running a cheap set of iGaging from eBay.  I'm sure there are better for more, but for the $ and my needs, these are perfect.
View All Quotes

Since it appears you have one of these, exactly which? HF branded? Does the Y feed handle turn clockwise to feed the table towards the spindle/column? Is the table drilled to accept the DRO brackets or does the machine have to be disassembled to drill and tap for them? I am ready to pull the trigger (pun) for one. 549 with 25% off coupon is too much to turn down

Well, my post to the op of the quote is wrong, I didn't catch the LMS mill. So- the question will extend to anyone who may have the HF model.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:26:10 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

I read a review and an "old SGM", (that's what he called himself) suggested DROs as well. I'll plan on it. I'm not looking to walk on water, but as close to perfect as I can get would be nice.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:41:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I read a review and an "old SGM", (that's what he called himself) suggested DROs as well. I'll plan on it. I'm not looking to walk on water, but as close to perfect as I can get would be nice.
View Quote

With DRO's, if you keep the gibs tight and make sure there's no slack between the dials and the bushings, you can hold .002" on these mini mills.  You just can't hog material at the pace you would with a full size unit.

I also have a set of those cheaper LCD eBay DRO's, and they work fine, with one caveat:  Sometimes they jump, always in increments of .200 in my experience.  Really doesn't cause a problem if you're paying attention, but something to be aware of.  Other than that, they do seem to hold the .0005 accuracy they read in, and they're pretty tough to beat for getting 3 axis set up at ~$100.   Glass scale LED DRO systems will set you back at least 5 times that.

Does the Y feed handle turn clockwise to feed the table towards the spindle/column?
View Quote

Yes.  Both axis lead screws are LH thread

Is the table drilled to accept the DRO brackets or does the machine have to be disassembled to drill and tap for them?
View Quote

Most any machine will require you to drill and tap for scale attachment, these minis are no exception.   But you do not need to disassemble them.  X & Y can be attached with 4 machine screws and some spacers, Z will require bracketry. I set mine up with X on the front of the table, Y on the left side, and Z also on the left side of the column, using a piece of flat bar bolted to the column to hold the scale and an 18 ga sheet metal bracket attaching the reader to the head.  I'll try to remember to get some pictures tomorrow.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:54:10 AM EDT
[#17]

With DRO's, if you keep the gibs tight and make sure there's no slack between the dials and the bushings, you can hold .002" on these mini mills.  You just can't hog material at the pace you would with a full size unit.

I also have a set of those cheaper LCD eBay DRO's, and they work fine, with one caveat:  Sometimes they jump, always in increments of .200 in my experience.  Really doesn't cause a problem if you're paying attention, but something to be aware of.  Other than that, they do seem to hold the .0005 accuracy they read in, and they're pretty tough to beat for getting 3 axis set up at ~$100.   Glass scale LED DRO systems will set you back at least 5 times that.

Most any machine will require you to drill and tap for scale attachment, these minis are no exception.   But you do not need to disassemble them.  X & Y can be attached with 4 machine screws and some spacers, Z will require bracketry. I set mine up with X on the front of the table, Y on the left side, and Z also on the left side of the column, using a piece of flat bar bolted to the column to hold the scale and an 18 ga sheet metal bracket attaching the reader to the head.  I'll try to remember to get some pictures tomorrow.

View All Quotes

Does the Y feed handle turn clockwise to feed the table towards the spindle/column?

Is the table drilled to accept the DRO brackets or does the machine have to be disassembled to drill and tap for them?

Thanks, that is what I needed to confirm.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:23:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#18]
I need to document my DRO install as well.  Will take a few days I'm sure, but the project wasn't just a few minutes.  I haven't moved them since the initial install.and they still work so I must have done something right.

ETA:
Search youtube, there are a PILE of DIY DRO installs.  While it took some time, it did give me some time to become familiar with the mill.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I have added several more lowers.

More to follow...
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Several more added.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#21]
all Ares Armor lowers are 7075 t-6 aluminum

forged raw ar15 lowers have the rear pocket.
billet ar15 lowers have the rear pocket.
ar10s and signature lowers do not have the rear pocket.
all lowers have a determination letter to back them and can be provided upon request.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Aresarmorrusty:
all Ares Armor lowers are 7075 t-6 aluminum

forged raw ar15 lowers have the rear pocket.
billet ar15 lowers have the rear pocket.
ar10s and signature lowers do not have the rear pocket.
all lowers have a determination letter to back them and can be provided upon request.
View Quote

Updated
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:22:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Ha, bought mine after several weeks or months of coming back to this same link several times.  I ended up with the LMS HiTorque.  and while if doing 80%'ers it's more than plenty, and having a small footprint is VERY nice, I'm sure I will eventually end up with a full size knee mill.  But I have the space and it will do a LOT more than 80's.  In fact, I have no plans to off the LMS mini.  

View All Quotes

This is good information.  One of these little machines is more in my budget and current space.  Its good to know they are capable of the 80% job.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:21:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

Also, if you spend about $100 on DROs you can save ~$200 on jigs.  You'll get a lot more ROI from the DROs than you will the jigs as jigs are not necessary with a mill.  On these smaller machines that may have questionable tollerances and sometimes terrible backlash, DROs are worth every penny.  I'm running a cheap set of iGaging from eBay.  I'm sure there are better for more, but the $ and my needs, these are perfect.

This is the "OLD SGM" in question. I bought some DRO's from ebay and set them up on the HF Mill.  They sure made milling lowers easier.  I believe that I posted how I mounted them (a combination of super glue, drilling and tapping.  The HF has been a great mill.  The only problem I have is I keep spending money on end mills, drill bits and other things to keep feeding the hobby.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By oldsgm:

This is the "OLD SGM" in question. I bought some DRO's from ebay and set them up on the HF Mill.  They sure made milling lowers easier.  I believe that I posted how I mounted them (a combination of super glue, drilling and tapping.  The HF has been a great mill.  The only problem I have is I keep spending money on end mills, drill bits and other things to keep feeding the hobby.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By oldsgm:
Snip

Snip"

Snip

Snip.

I hear ya another $150 last week to Enco.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:06:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Just picked up my first 80% lowers. Going to pick up the jig so I have it but I probably won't mll them for awhile. Just figured it would be good things to have.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:50:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Just a warning to everyone.
avoid North West Custom Precision and Battle Born, both companies have taken my money and refused to answer e-mail or return phone calls... Battle Born shipped me an uncoated 80% lower and I'd paid for coated.. contacted them they said send it back and I did... included a copy of all the e-mail receipts and the founder's e-mail to send it back.... sent it with signature required... it was signed for and 8 months later still don't have my lower. Sent several e-mails and finally got a response just before Christmas with an apology and a promise to look into soon as he was back in the office... 4 weeks later still nothing... I've given up on e-mail and called and left my phone number still no response. All I ask for is honesty in companies I deal with...
It's been 15 months and I'm done keeping silent and giving both of these companies the benefit of the doubt... if they ever do come through, I'll retract my statement
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:51:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Just a warning to everyone.
avoid North West Custom Precision and Battle Born, both companies have taken my money and refused to answer e-mail or return phone calls... Battle Born shipped me an uncoated 80% lower and I'd paid for coated.. contacted them they said send it back and I did... included a copy of all the e-mail receipts and the founder's e-mail to send it back.... sent it with signature required... it was signed for and 8 months later still don't have my lower. Sent several e-mails and finally got a response just before Christmas with an apology and a promise to look into soon as he was back in the office... 4 weeks later still nothing... I've given up on e-mail and called and left my phone number still no response. All I ask for is honesty in companies I deal with...
It's been 15 months and I'm done keeping silent and giving both of these companies the benefit of the doubt... if they ever do come through, I'll retract my statement
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#31]

Anyone know who does hard anodizing?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#32]
More new questions and well, just a bump to save it from the archives.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Peachy_Carnahan:

Anyone know who does hard anodizing?

Thank you.
View Quote

Me, and a LOT of people in the retro forum have used US Anodizing with much success.

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 1:17:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Russ4777] [#34]
Any one know who makes an 80% 7075 T6 forged lower with an integrated trigger guard?
View Quote

Yes.  Quentin Defense.  I did drill the three lightening holes in my trigger guard to achieve a different look.

Opps.  Should have reread your post.  This is a billet, not forged lower.

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 2:15:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: November5] [#35]
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 1:40:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Everrest] [#36]
Tactical Machining is switching to a Gen 2 lower with the rear lug milled out.

ETA:
It appears Shadow Ops Weaponry is going Bankrupt.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 12:01:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Everrest:
Tactical Machining is switching to a Gen 2 lower with the rear lug milled out.

ETA:
It appears Shadow Ops Weaponry is going Bankrupt.
View Quote

Thanks for the "heads up", I've removed them based on their Better Buisness Bureau rating of F
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Seems like Eds Tactical Armory has some 80% lowers in stock for a great price. Use promo code CLOSE for additional savings.

I have no affiliation with them, but I did hear that they are closing up shop. Just wanted to pass along a deal. I went ahead and ordered a lower from them to put back. I do not know what jigs will fit their lowers and hope my TR-Enabling jig will work.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 11:34:45 PM EDT
[#39]
anyone deal with guns80.com

seems like where the credit card payment goes to is a company called the gun vault llc
and some searching for that name brings up a facebook page showing they did one of those donation type websites to purchase machines to make 80% lowers
and got almost $80,000 from the $50,000 they wanted
and I guess never gave any of the payers items promised of at least 99% of the payers for the money sent it

and I think closed down the shop and left them all with nothing
there is a BBB F rating on the gun vault llc with  3-4 people complaining
I think 1-2 got paid right away but then they just disappeared

I also find it strange guns80 website is the exact same style as the gun vault llc website which shows nothing for sale like its abandoned

guns80 does not respond at all to any emails sent
but someone did pick up the phone often

and when asked about why payment went to gun vault llc they claimed they sell some of there products and that was it did not go any further with the info, but the gun vault llc website seems like it has nothing at all for sale
I believe they are either the same company or tied in with them maybe using the same license as a dealer

very fishy if you ask me, I heard guns80 advertised on a radio show

now is this a new company that was made from the $80,000 donations from another company that closed down

sounds like a nice little scam to me

I tried doing as much searching I could before bringing up this site, but I still hear radio commercials for them and just wonder if they are real or on the edge of scamming someone else again if the heat gets on them
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 7:47:26 AM EDT
[#40]
EP armory has aluminum 80's with various color options, rear milled pocket and a forged hunk of 7075.

Their polymer lower is now only one color.

Thanks
Wes
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 3:39:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Wangstang:  EP armory has aluminum 80's with various color options, rear milled pocket and a forged hunk of 7075.

Thanks
Wes
View Quote

Shows different colors in stock:

http://www.eparmory.com/Polymer-80-Lower-Receiver-s/1881.htm
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 11:01:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wangstang:  EP armory has aluminum 80's with various color options, rear milled pocket and a forged hunk of 7075.

Thanks
Wes

Sorry, their older design had a different colored polymer where the trigger group mill work had to be done.  The ATF made some false claims about how the two color EP 80's were made and opened one heck of an investigation.  

Read all about it here:
http://michellawyers.com/2014/lycurgan-inc-v-jones/

The current options from EP are aluminum 80's in various colors and single color polymer 80's

Wes
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 11:27:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#43]
Originally Posted By Wangstang:

Sorry, their older design had a different colored polymer where the trigger group mill work had to be done.  The ATF made some false claims about how the two color EP 80's were made and opened one heck of an investigation.  

Read all about it here:

The current options from EP are aluminum 80's in various colors and single color polymer 80's

Wes
View All Quotes

Thanks
Wes

Read all about it here:

Wes

Dude, you keep saying that, and I've posted the link to their multiple choices of colored polymer 80% lowers.  I'm quite familiar w/ their old lowers & how they failed to get BATFE approval before they started selling them.  I owned one & sent it to Whiskerz to be turned into a machinegun & tested to destruction.

ETA:  We're saying the same thing 2 different ways.  Their new polymer lowers are available in a variety of colors; however, whichever color one selects will be in a single shade, unlike their previous 2-color lowers.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 11:35:06 PM EDT
[#44]

Dude, you keep saying that, and I've posted the link to their multiple choices of colored polymer 80% lowers.  I'm quite familiar w/ their old lowers & how they failed to get BATFE approval before they started selling them.  I owned one & sent it to Whiskerz to be turned into a machinegun & tested to destruction.
View All Quotes

Thanks
Wes

Read all about it here:

Wes

Dude...I am saying they have multiple colors of the single color lowers.  In the OP the description describes the old two color polymer lowers.

Make sense?

Here's the link to their aluminum offerings:
http://www.eparmory.com/80-PERCENT-ALUMINUM-LOWER-RECEIVERS-s/1882.htm

Wes
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 11:36:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Wangstang:  Dude...I am saying they have multiple colors of the single color lowers.  In the OP the description describes the old two color polymer lowers.

Make sense?

Wes
View Quote

Yep.  See my edit.  I was misunderstanding your meaning.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 11:46:03 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wangstang:  Dude...I am saying they have multiple colors of the single color lowers.  In the OP the description describes the old two color polymer lowers.

Make sense?

Wes

Yep...no problem.

Wes
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:37:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gtfoxy] [#47]
Originally Posted By Guido1:
I like the idea of bumping to the top, or annotating those of us that are ARFCOM Industry Partners thats omeone mentioned above, because as users we should all be supporting the companies that make this forum possible for all of us to enjoy (and yes, as a vendor and as a personal consumer, I try my best to support and buy from other industry partners).

I also think current cost should be listed.
View Quote

Agreed.

Waiting on a side charger from you! That will eventually be going on one of your lowers that was a custom you did for one of your vendors that will be SBR'd.

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:45:41 AM EDT
[#48]

Tactical Machining  
Material: 7075-T6 Aluminum
Construction: Forging
Rear Lug Cut: No
Finish: Raw
BATF Approval Letter Supplied: Yes
Comments:
View Quote

I recently bought a lower, upper, and jig from Tactical, and have these comments.
1)  There was no BATF approval letter supplier. (No big deal...)
2)  The jig was not square with the forging in the trigger well area.  When I asked about it, I received one terse reply to the effect
     that it was within spec, and not another peep.
     There has been at least one post attesting to their great customer service, but that was not my experience.  I'm in the market
     for another lower, but it will definitely NOT be from Tactical Machining.

Nobody's perfect, but customer service, or lack thereof, can sure make a difference.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:35:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Well, regarding Tactical machining.  I have experienced excellent service.  Bought a couple 80% lowers and the jigs about 2 years ago, no idea when, and really did not do much with them.  Recently decided to get going again and could not find my top plates.  Have had a move since, and totally searched for hours.  Called them and they sold me new top plates for 1/2 price, a good deal since it was all all my fault.  Had them throw in an anodized 80% lower, Gen 1, since it was $49.  FYI, Gen 1 jigs, top plates are not compatible with Gen 2 (has shelf machined out).
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By wjoutlaw:
Seems like Eds Tactical Armory has some 80% lowers in stock for a great price. Use promo code CLOSE for additional savings.

I have no affiliation with them, but I did hear that they are closing up shop. Just wanted to pass along a deal. I went ahead and ordered a lower from them to put back. I do not know what jigs will fit their lowers and hope my TR-Enabling jig will work.
View Quote

Ordered one of the billet 80% lowers. It came the other day and looks nice for $57 dollars delivered. Now to get a jig. I have two Cerro forged 80%lowers also so I am thinking of going with either Modulus Arms or Broken Arms jig.
Page / 7
80% Lowers Summary (Page 2 of 7)
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top