Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2014 11:18:34 AM EDT
I'm super impressed with this one. I'm putting it through it's paces in hopes to make it the main squeeze.

I bought these handgaurds, then the weekend happened. After I delt with the weekend, I decided I needed another m-lok rail. Now they claim it's not M-lok, but rather a proprietary "T-nut." I think the the only difference is the rounded surface on the back. Oh well. It's still one of the best I've used and at only $115 they can change the name to T-nut-sac for all I care.  Color me impressed. ALG Defense has a new loyal customer.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I wonder if they changed the name to avoid paying the licensing fees to Magpul so they could use the "M-Lok" brand name?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#2]
She's a sexy beast! I think you just sold me on an ALG handguard for my next build.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm super impressed with this one. I'm putting it through it's paces in hopes to make it the main squeeze.
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj575/J__BEAL/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsacd13bdc.jpg
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj575/J__BEAL/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpse4320a56.jpg

I bought these handgaurds, then the weekend happened. After I delt with the weekend, I decided I needed another m-lok rail. Now they claim it's not M-lok, but rather a proprietary "T-nut." I think the the only difference is the rounded surface on the back. Oh well. It's still one of the best I've used and at only $115 they can change the name to T-nut-sac for all I care.  Color me impressed. ALG Defense has a new loyal customer.

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj575/J__BEAL/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfad0f683.jpg
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj575/J__BEAL/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsb2ddff6e.jpg
View Quote

Looks a lot like the Troy VTAC, was it less expensive?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 1:34:42 PM EDT
[#4]
What barrel did you use........pencil?.........Looks great
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wonder if they changed the name to avoid paying the licensing fees to Magpul so they could use the "M-Lok" brand name?
View Quote

There are no licensing fees. From Magpul's M-LOK FAQ:

Q: Is the M-LOK design free for any manufacturer to use?
A: Yes, there is no fee to use the M-LOK design, however we do ask that manufacturers
sign a simple no-fee license form before using the M-LOK system and logo on their
products and media.

Q: Why is a licensing agreement required instead of releasing the system “open-source”?
A: By licensing the system for free, the same no-cost access to the system is provided
as with an open-source release. However, this method protects both manufacturers and
consumers by assuring that all products bearing the M-LOK logo are made to proper
specifications and will work with all other M-LOK products, preventing problems with
compatibility and inaccurate or counterfeit versions of M-LOK products.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:03:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What barrel did you use........pencil?.........Looks great
View Quote

ARP lightweight. It's the shit so far.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:09:41 PM EDT
[#7]
The "T-NUT" handgaurd is $115 from their website. It doesn't come with any rails, though. The regular EMR from ALG is $130 with 3 rail pieces. You gotta out them on the old way, though. It's super ridged and comes wit bits own barrel nut and shim system. Easiest instal I have ever done. It's designed to be used without a torque wrench. Look it up, because I can't do it justice. It is awesome!
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:26:47 PM EDT
[#8]
VERY nice!

What's the barrel length and the handguard length?

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:35:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
VERY nice!

What's the barrel length and the handguard length?

View Quote

16" inch barrel, 13" handgaurd
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks, the proportions look perfect to me.

I might have to copy your setup.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#11]
It works pretty good. If ARP is out of lightweights, the voodoo ultralight is about the same price.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks pretty dam nice to me.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:56:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The "T-NUT" handgaurd is $115 from their website. It doesn't come with any rails, though. The regular EMR from ALG is $130 with 3 rail pieces. You gotta out them on the old way, though. It's super ridged and comes wit bits own barrel nut and shim system. Easiest instal I have ever done. It's designed to be used without a torque wrench. Look it up, because I can't do it justice. It is awesome!
View Quote

This was one of the main reasons I bought the EMR.  I don't get the whole M-Lok thing when the EMR comes with rail panels.  

Nice rifle though.  Weight?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:36:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Well done Sir!
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Define "putting it through it's paces"?  Is dragging it through the grass the "paces"?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:49:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Define "putting it through it's paces"?  Is dragging it through the grass the "paces"?
View Quote

Aint nobody got time fo dat.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#17]
"Putting it through it's paces" means using the damn thing. I shoot outside, so if it gets some shit on it, so be it. "The paces" are figuring out what it likes and how it's going to do after a couple thousand rounds. I'm giving it all the crap ammo I have on hand because I want to know what to expect.  So far I'm good with all the steel cased stuff I have, reliability wise. It shoots ok with 55grn, better with 62, and gets along great with the heavier reloads, but I'm still only at about 600 rounds. So far, it's a run of the mill ar with a fancy handgaurd. Considering the whole thing cost about $650, I'm happy. Althought, I may just go drag it through my neighbors freshly mowed yard now that you mention it. I'm not doing anything else tomorrow, and I really like cleaning grass clippings out of a rifle.

I haven't put it on a scale. I'm guessing somewhere between 6-7 lbs? Maybe less? It's pretty light with a loaded mag. I'm not too concerned with making it light, it's more of an afterthought.

I'm not big on hanging things from my gun. I'm cool with the one rail piece for now. In the future I'll get one for a flashlight or something like that. Maybe a fancy AFG? Who knows. Less is more, most of the time.

P. S.
This is my second blem upper from BCM. They work great, but they mean business when they say blemish. I don't mind it for the price though.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top