Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2014 6:06:47 AM EDT
On the advice of members here far more knowledgeable than myself, I am seriously thinking of buying a PSA premium upper (FN barrel), PSA premium BCG, PSA Complete lower and a PSE charging handle, again per the advice by several members here. As I was told I will have a quite good AR, with a FN barrel for approx W/FFL tansfer fees around $670 please tell me if these are the parts I need for a AR build superior to a complete AR rifle in the quality class of PSA Freedom carbine or a PSA Mil Spec M4. I have been asking for evals of AR's in the $600-$800 range and members here have repetedly advised me to build as I will end up with a per their advise a better AR for considerably less $$$, so I figured why not?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies/psa-16-chf-mid-length-premium-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/1213/category/4282/

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/upper-parts/bolt-carrier-groups/palmetto-state-armory-5-56-full-auto-nickel-boron-bcg-with-logo.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/upper-parts/charging-handles/ar15-m16-charging-handle.html

They were out of Mil Spec charging handles. Do I really need a Mil Spec charging handle, or will the one I listed suffice?

Now I need to know if I order the above parts, once I have them will all I have to do is put them together with no AR spacific specialized tolls needed, and if I order the above parts do I have 100% all I need to end up with a complete ready to fire AR?

Lastly, Could some one please walk me through the process of ordering as I don't know which parts can be shipped directly to me and which parts must go to a FFL holder for transfer. I suspect the upper and lower will have to be shipped to a FFL holder, but what about the BCG and charging handle? Members here have been advising me over and over to build my own AR and save $$$ and have a excellent AR in the process, but as Im at approx $670 with FFL frees will I need to buy any special tools to complete my assembly and about how much will they cost?

Also I have read to order the upper and lower seperately to avoid the 11% tax, is this also correct?

Thanks,
Arthur.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:21:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Ordering those would give you a complete rifle, ready to go minus the magazine. I'd suspect everyone had intended to have you buy all of the parts and assemble them yourself, but nothing with this route either. Simply slide the charging handle and bolt into the upper, mate the receivers and lock the pins in. As for ordering  everything can be shipped to your door except the lower receiver, unless you have local laws saying otherwise.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks so much,
Arthur.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:27:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Since the lower has to go to an FFL for the transfer and everything else can be shipped to you, do 2 separate orders.

I believe the excise tax is applied if you order parts that make up a complete rifle.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:31:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, am doing 2 sep orders to avoid tax.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:33:04 AM EDT
[#5]
If you don't have some, get some clp or frog lube. You'll need to lube the bcg before you fire it the first time.

I'm not seeing a rear sight or an optic on your list.

Am I missing something or do you have it covered already?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:47:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the lube suggestion will do. When i get all the parts together and after a good cleaning will search this sight as well as youtube to dbl check I've done all I need to do prior to assembly, then after assembly again dbl check all so my new AR go's BANG and not BOOOOOM!!!!.

I did'nt for get sights/optics. Plan on putting both on gun. A fold down rear and a low power scope as well. Any suggestions on a good fold down rear sight in the $50 dollar range?

Thanks,
Arthur.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:03:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ordering those would give you a complete rifle, ready to go minus the magazine. I'd suspect everyone had intended to have you buy all of the parts and assemble them yourself, but nothing with this route either. Simply slide the charging handle and bolt into the upper, mate the receivers and lock the pins in. As for ordering  everything can be shipped to your door except the lower receiver, unless you have local laws saying otherwise.
View Quote

I thought about that as well, but I don't have any AR specific tools and buying them would have upped my costs and I'm more than happy ordering PSA's Premium upper with FN barrel, nickle boron BCG, charging handle, and PSA's classic lower, and a couple of pins installed lator and I'm ready to go. I will learn from this gun to hopefully build my boys AR's of their own, and if PSA comes through OK I will again use them.

For a little more than the cost of a S&W M&P AR (about $670 with rear sight)  I will have a AR of vary, vary good quality, not that the S&W AR isn't well made because it is, but I will have a AR with properly staked M4 lock nut, and gas key and a excellent quality FN barrel, and as every shooter knows the barrel is the heart of any rifle. My only change MIGHT be a A/M trigger if the one that comes with the PSA lower sucks.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:My only change MIGHT be a A/M trigger if the one that comes with the PSA lower sucks.
View Quote

It will.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Magpul mbus seems to be as good as any for $50 or so.  They're polymer.

Metal rear sights seem to run about $100.

Also, the CHF barrels on the upper you mention are top of the line for PSA.

Don't wait forever to order, uppers go in and out of stock all the time.

If you end up missing it just wait a while, it will show up again.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:52:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Am ordering as soon as my FFL guy gets back to me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It will.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:My only change MIGHT be a A/M trigger if the one that comes with the PSA lower sucks.

It will.

yes it will or it might, you have to wait and see.

Ive built 6 lowers using PSA LPK's.   2 of them were awesome and smooth right out of the bag.... the other 4, I had to polish them a good bit to get them perfect.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:56:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Well Im all done ordering my PSA mid length AR15/M4. Cost of upper, lower, BCG, and charging handle, a wopping $625. When done I will have one heck of a well made AR for a few pennies more than a M&P Sport.

Upper is a forged Premium upper, barrel is a CHF FN chrome lined

Lower is a blemished forged Magpul MOE eddition

CBG is 5.56 full auto nickle boron

Charging handle is a plain Jain mil spec aluminum C/H

Plan on adding a Magpul MOE gen-2 rear sight and a Magpul angled grip.

Found mags on sale for $9-$12 on sale.

Hopefully will have all the parts in 3 weeks or less. If boys maintain a 3.5 in school this year will promise to build them one of their own.

Thanks to all who helped with their knowledge, especially those that pointed me to PSA and talked me into assembling/building my own AR and most importantly, which PSA components to buy/use. Have found some good cheap ammo in bulk so will be all set up prior to the stork visiting my house with our new baby.

Arthur.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:03:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Do yourself a favor and pick up a BCM Gunfighter charging handle, once you try it you won't go back.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:15:21 AM EDT
[#14]
When funds come available, buy the lowers now.  It is always good to have them laying around, built or not.  I like to keep at least 2 Lower Parts Kits available as well.  Last panic hit and lowers were SUPER expensive and so were LPKs.  Stock kits were not and even lowers were only slightly more expensive.

Palmetto has the blem lowers for $49.99 free shipping.  They "MIGHT" sell them even cheaper on Black Friday or around Christmas.

For the lower build, all you really need is:
Hammer
Punches
Screwdriver
Stock Wrench - http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/wrenches/ar-15-m4-stock-wrench-prod16882.aspx

Super Awesome tools to have that make assembly easier:
Roll Pin Starter punches
1/4" Clevis Pin  (how to in link)

Basic Building Guide AR15 lower
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks so much for the links they are invaluable to a gust starting out AR novice such as I. Will invest in the tools listed that I don't already have. At present I have amassed over the years quite a collection of gun smithing tools and Im constantly buying more. Will take your advice and buy lowers as well as other components as I promised my boys if they mainttained a 3.5 GPA till Xmas I will build another AR15 similar to what I just ordered, so that way when we go to the range they can both shoot together.

One question if you please sir, can you recommend a AR15 how to assembly book that is best suited to a novice such as myself that covers most if not all aspects of assembly, and maintaining AR15's.

Thanks,
Arthur.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:36:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do yourself a favor and pick up a BCM Gunfighter Rainier Arms Raptor charging handle, once you try it you won't go back.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:39:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do yourself a favor and pick up a BCM Gunfighter Rainier Arms Raptor charging handle, once you try it you won't go back.

FIFY

I've never tried that one, so you prefer it over the BCM?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

Yes, it's a awesome charging handle. I don't really like the latches the BCM handles. I do believe they ate on sale at Primary Arms right now for $69.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I personally have built all of my AR's (9 now). Building your own not only gives you the sense of accomplishment but you also know your gun inside and out. It also allows you to get exactly what you want the first time without having to buy one complete and make modifications. Ends up being a cheaper build and personalized. I bought a tone of my parts/accessories from urbansurvivalarms.com. I don't know where you are but they are local to me and offer $9 flat shipping on most orders. I have also wanted items they don't offer on their site and have emailed or called them and they have been able to get it for me. Got my last PSA complete upper from them for $399:)
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top