Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2014 5:22:54 PM EDT
So I've been searching the forum and scouring the web and I have yet to find a thorough review on Ares Armor. Specifically their Harpe Upper. I've recently come across someone willing to sell me their complete brand new rifle  (disassembled) from Ares Armor for quite a bit cheaper than buying it in store. I had originally planned buying an Adams Arms 16.5 inch C.O.R.  piston upper but being on a budget I would have no issue buying the Harpe upper, yet I'm quite hesitant due to the fact that I can't find an in depth review on it. Does anyone own one or know anyone who owns one? Any input on this upper would be appreciated. Thank you

Heres the link to the upper I would be buying.

http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/aa_BAupper
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:14:50 AM EDT
[#1]
For future the best way to find stuff on this website is to google what you are looking for with ar15.com in the search.  Example I did "ar15.com ares armor upper".

Harpe Upper

The above is the only link I could find on this site. I hope that this helps you out
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:02:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't seem any have much to say about Ares, and my experience is limited but I'll offer what I know.

I bought their NiB BCG when they had it on sale awhile back and have been happy with it so far.   I was a little leary of it at first because of the investment cast extractor and gas key, and there may well be a durability issue later, but up to this point I have about 300 rounds through the rifle with 0 problems. It extracts, chambers, and the bolt locks up perfectly,  Extracted casings all land in about an 18" circle about 6 feet to the right and about a foot rearward of the ejection port.   Based on the specs for the Harpe upper, I suspect this is the exact same BCG as I have but Phosphated rather than NiB.
Ordering and shipping were fine.  I think it arrived 4 days after I ordered.

Depending on what you intend the rifle for, or budget constraints, I think the Ares BCG is just fine.   (I think its the same BCG that Aim Surplus offers)    If its a recreational rifle, plinking, or paper puncher its great for the money since an extractor, gas key or general BCG failure will only result in having to pack up early and buy a couple replacement parts.
If its a duty rifle, or self / home defense rifle, then pay the extra hundred for the Bravo Company or DD unit.  It will be the cheapest hundred ever spent compared to a failure when lives are on the line.
I can't speak to the Harpe barrel,  its probably decent, but you get what you pay for.

The whole battle with the San Diego BATFE makes me a little nervous.   I understand where Ares is coming from and I think they are right, and BATFE has overstepped badly.   However, I fear that Ares Armor is making everything a little too public and shouting a little too loudly, and that the fight is going to make someone in DC take another look at 80% lowers and close that door altogether.    I'm not wild about BATFE having taken the customer list from Ares since my name could very well be on it, but then I guess there was a record somewhere and obviously the govenment can seize it anytime, anywhere regardless of the law.

About all I have to offer on the subject.
hope it helps.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:08:52 AM EDT
[#3]
My only comment on Ares Armor is that there seems to be a LOT of posts and positive comments from N00bs (VERY low post counts)
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:22:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My only comment on Ares Armor is that there seems to be a LOT of posts and positive comments from N00bs (VERY low post counts)
View Quote

First, low post count (and for that matter '13 join date) doesn't necessarily mean "noob".  Some people don't feel the need to comment on every subject all the time.  And some people read for years prior to even posting the first time.

Second, Ares as a company was for all intents and purposes non-existent prior to 2013.  Yes, they existed, but no one knew anything about them.  They ran into a bit of a PR nightmare after the 2012 bum rush on all things AR because they didn't stop taking orders like everyone else did and they didn't raise their price on lowers like everyone else did.  So a company that had maybe 5 guys working for it ended up with over 25,000 orders for 80% lowers alone.  They got swamped, overwhelmed and couldn't get product out fast enough.  They even admitted they might have handled it wrong.  They stepped up and re-vamped stuff and used the cash influx to expand their business.  Their Harpe wasn't even introduced until Feb of 2014.  So it's not really a surprise to see a lot of new buyers picking them up.  Just FWIW.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I have two of their NiB BCGs and needed to replace the extractor spring in both within 200 rounds downrange...
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:15:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have two of their NiB BCGs and needed to replace the extractor spring in both within 200 rounds downrange...
View Quote

Details?

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:10:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I have one of their NIB coated BCG's with over 500 rounds through it and it's still running without any hiccups.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:03:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Pardon my insolence for responding with what I felt was thought filled, relevent information.

Perhaps I should offer to start responding to all posts with irrelevent, dick waving comments so I can get my post count up over 6500 and no longer be a N00B too.

Hey, look at that, my post count went up....I'm on my way.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:11:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Pardon my insolence for responding with what I felt was thought filled, relevent information.

Perhaps I should offer to start responding to all posts with irrelevent, dick waving comments so I can get my post count up over 6500 and no longer be a N00B too.

Hey, look at that, my post count went up....I'm on my way.
View Quote

Listen JERK, there have been NUMEROUS shill accounts by various vendors/manufacturers here over the years. IIRC, posts on Ares Armor have been locked/deleted because they were "questionable".

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:44:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Listen JERK, there have been NUMEROUS shill accounts by various vendors/manufacturers here over the years. IIRC, posts on Ares Armor have been locked/deleted because they were "questionable".

View Quote

So comments and posts should be limited to negative feedback and criticisms rather than actual results and experiences with a particular item or company?   That seems counter productive.
A question was asked, relevent feedback was given.

And I promise, if you ever met me, you'd like me....so easy on the name calling please.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Details?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Details?

No more than what's posted.  After a few rounds the BCGs had failures to extract, and I was getting double feeds.  Checked the extractor tension with my thumb, and it was very light.  Repalced the extractor with the BCM 5 coil and all issues were resolved...

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Gentlemen, we're in a tech forum.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:27:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know what you mean so I'll provide my anecdote.
I've been happy with my ares BCG in my 11.5". ETA: <1,000 rounds with this BCG

FWIW, I did business with ares on their nylon side of the house before doing business with them for AR parts
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Excuse my low count is it okay for me to comment and say postivie things about ARes?

Have two of thier BCG's and haven't had a problem.  Ares Armor is good to go.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Excuse my low count is it okay for me to comment and say postivie things about ARes?

Have two of thier BCG's and haven't had a problem.  Ares Armor is good to go.
View Quote

You're in a Tech Forum - speak up and say your piece.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:33:02 PM EDT
[#16]
So I've finally decided on an  upper and I got the adams arms 16.5 inch C.O.R upper. I'll post my progress on my build in another thread but I decided not to go with the ares armor upper simply because I haven't heard many reviews on the upper as a whole and after shooting my friends rifle that was converted from DI to piston I fell in love. I did my research on piston uppers in my price range and I think I made the right choice.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quite nice.  Post groups.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top