Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2014 6:54:04 AM EDT
Hey everyone,

I need a new AR15 for the hog hunt this fall and have decided to build one.  I used to own a Bushmaster, and I was in the Army, so I am very familiar with the AR15/M4 platform, but have never built one.  My funds are tight right now so I am trying to complete the project for as cheap as possible.  An old Army buddy of mine told me that he was able to build one for about $500 a few years ago.  Is that still a realistic number, or are they now more expensive to build.

I welcome any advice, and thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:01:49 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XATIRKT03&name=ATI+AR+M4+Profile+Rifle+Parts+Kit&groupid=714

it's still possible if you do a little searching and waiting for certain parts to go on sale or you could go this route.
And all you need is a stripped lower which you can pick up a blem for about 40 bucks.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:06:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Just finishing up my first build now.  To answer your question, the kit I purchased without sights ran about $500.  Bought open sights for another hundred.  Also there are instruction videos on the internet that smooth things out.  My problem was getting the right tools locally.  Harbor Freight is where i purchased a majority of the tools but a couple of necessary tools were not available on the local market (at least not that i could find).  midway usa had them but there are other websites that have them as well - i end up borrowing a couple of tools from a friend who builds ar-15's as a hobby.  I bought my kit from redriverguns.com.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:30:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes you can do it for around $500. Sights and/or optics might put a squeeze on you. But if you already have a scope you can get some pretty simple and inexpensive rings and riser for mounting.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:08:53 AM EDT
[#4]
If this is your first build, Do you have access  to (borrow) or own the tools to put one together. If so yes you can build it for under $500.  If you don't I just do not see it happening.  Yes you can get the parts and pieces gathered for 500, but without tools they are kinda useless I would add another $75- 100 on to the total cost if the tools are unavailable.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow, thanks for all the advice everybody.  Those kits definitely make finding parts easy.  To answer flyby1971, I have punches and some of the other tools, but I do need to order a roll pin punch.
I found a blemished striped lower at Palmetto Armory for $50 which seems to be a good price.  
Has anyone every used, or heard of, the Stinger15 lowers?  They are only $25 but are made of some "Gen III Polymer," which I am assuming is plastic.  
How do they compare in quality to the standard aluminum lower?

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow, thanks for all the advice everybody.  Those kits definitely make finding parts easy.  To answer flyby1971, I have punches and some of the other tools, but I do need to order a roll pin punch.
I found a blemished striped lower at Palmetto Armory for $50 which seems to be a good price.  
Has anyone every used, or heard of, the Stinger15 lowers?  They are only $25 but are made of some "Gen III Polymer," which I am assuming is plastic.  

View Quote

Just buy the blem PSA lower for $49 with free shipping.  I have owned poly lowers and I do not care for them at all.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just buy the blem PSA lower for $49 with free shipping.  I have owned poly lowers and I do not care for them at all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks balloo93.  I also just found this five page post on Stinger15: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1649152_HOLY_CRAP__Look_who_s_back_____Stinger15_HAS_DECLARED_WAR_ON_ME__LOL___.html&page=1
Sounds like the company is linked to a guy named Tony Vega who did some sleazy things under a company named Code Red.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:03:51 PM EDT
[#8]
As for your budget and getting one together for that much.........  Shop around and wait for sales.  I make a build list and then wait until I find the best deal or sale on the parts.  This will take longer, but you will get what you want for the budget you need it at.

I am not a rich man by most standards, but I am patient.  Last couple of builds came together over the course of about 6 months.  Unfortunately there may not be any big sales until Nov Black Friday or Christmas.

I also am okay with buying used parts on some things or even basic things that are used and cheap and then upgrade the thing later (ie standard charging handle verses a gunfighter one).  Stocks, sights, and handguards also also items.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:01:14 AM EDT
[#9]
You don't have to spend $1500 to put together a real quality AR. You can do it pretty darn close to your budget these days. That being said....don't go super cheap....stay away from non-chromelined barrels or parts, polymer lowers, hesse lowers and airsoft magpul knock-offs....

Sign up for AIMSURPLUS and Palmetto State emails. Watch for their sale items. Palmetto has a Premium M4 upper on their right now for $269 right now. You will still need the charging handle and bolt carrier for another $100 or so. Pick-up one of their lowers when they go on sale (already completed if you can)... Then keep an eye out for  1000 rd case of ammo and maybe 6 to 10 mags. Their D&H mags are on sale right now for $7
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks balloo93.  I also just found this five page post on Stinger15: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1649152_HOLY_CRAP__Look_who_s_back_____Stinger15_HAS_DECLARED_WAR_ON_ME__LOL___.html&page=1

Sounds like the company is linked to a guy named Tony Vega who did some sleazy things under a company named Code Red.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I came to post this. DO NOT use a stinger lower..... in fact I would not use any polymer lower at all.... I'm sure there might be some polymer lower that might be ok, but why? Just get a PSA blem. I have several, not 1 scratch on them. They are perfect.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top