Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2014 8:12:56 AM EDT
Hello everyone, I'd like to start off thanking everyone here for the wealth of knowledge, tips, tricks and reviews posted across the board.
I've been lurking (i.e researching) the boards for the past 9 months or so and just soaked up everything I could without my brain exploding.
I'd say thanks to everyone here I've managed to read 2-3 hours for every dollar I've spent!

I'm completely new to the AR world even though I've been shooting other rifles/handguns for years. The most success I've had is fondling my room mates S&W MP15.
Having never even getting to shoot one (closest chance I had I got stuck working while everyone else went out) I've been looking to pick one up for the last 3-4 years
Knowing I don't enjoy dropping 800-1000 at a time I decided maybe I'd like to build one instead. The idea of spending $100 8 different times was at least a little bit better to me haha.

Basics of build-
  Spikes Tactical Zombie Lower
  DSA Inc. stripped upper
  Mas Defense 18" Stainless spiral fluted barrel. Mid length gas, .223 Wylde chamber, 1/8 twist
  PSA LPK
  PSA NIB BCG (actually have a spare one already, time to start build #2!)
  CH and handguard are cheapies from eBay. I know the whole "buy once cry once" but I wasn't ready to commit $150 +- to the handguards. Plus, at the time, I was anxious to get it done. I've been buying parts slowly since December lol

Overall the build was pretty straight forward with no "major" issues following the guide here and watching a few videos
The first part I installed was the bolt catch (managed one scuff on the lower) and I thought it was going to be much worse than it ended up being. I just wasn't expecting that much pressure to put in a roll pin.
Managed to not shoot the pivot pin detent across the room. PSA didn't send me the tool so I opted to attempt the razor blade method. Success
The barrel nut was the part I worried about doing the most. No problem. Little bearing grease on it, tighten/loosen 3 times. 42 lbs. of torque later and gas tube lined up perfect.
A couple of things I wasn't too sure of after I completed them but a quick internet search provided the answers I was looking for.

Of course the one thing I did pull off was managing to lose the e clip for the ejection cover. Also never received a gas tube roll pin from PSA (along with the pivot pin tool)
Decided I didn't want to call em (pick my battles) and ordered off of eBay for 1.45 shipped. 4 hours later PSA prints off a shipping label and I get an email for a package arriving tomorrow

So really it's not "complete" without the gas system being on or the FA or sights. Don't know what I want for optics yet, but probably just going to run the reflex from my shotgun for the 1st/2nd range trip.
Pics or it didn't happen, right?

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c388/waterboy1381/IMAG0209_zpshs6hzuvo.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c388/waterboy1381/IMAG0210_zpslkpoiypx.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c388/waterboy1381/IMAG0211_zpscbzvnsqy.jpg
The crude background is just some foam I got from work. Originally to cushion the delivery boxes for ice cream cones! Going to use it to line a plastic case I have for two of my hand guns.
Forward assist is on it's way, along with the ejection rod clip, and gas tube roll pin.
No trigger guard at the moment. I didn't want to use the standard with the LPK and after seeing threads about broken ears, I figured I didn't feel like putting it on to change it out in 3 weeks.
Plan on ordering the winter trigger guard from Phase 5 tactical.
As for muzzle device I'm not too sure yet. Might just use a basic flash hider to protect the threads for now until I can decide.

I do want to have it checked for head space. I've definitely read plenty of threads about this topic and came to the conclusion that I'd just rather have it done for piece of mind.
It's my money in the build if something isn't right, and even if it isn't pretty, I still like my face more than I do some extra cash haha.
Only thing is either I can either A) spend the money for the guages myself, or B) spend minimal money to have my LGS send it to his gunsmith. But then wait 2-4 weeks for return depending on work load. Not sure yet.

Sorry if it's a little long winded, but, if you've made it this far thanks for checking it out! Comments, criticism, compliments and questions are appreciated. Maybe ideas for the next build since I have that spare BCG??
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks pretty dam nice to me, even if you did go with the zombie.(personal prefrence)And Welcome aboard by the way.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I really wasn't too sire about the zombie lower but it only cost 75 shipped.
I wanted the punisher one but couldn't find it in stock anywhere so I decided I would just get that on the next go round.
still debating the whole color fill thing  on this one
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:18:31 AM EDT
[#3]
So the roll pin for the gas tube came in yesterday. I went to put it in, lubed up the holes in the block and tube, and slipped a small punch through to hold it all in place.
Then when I went to put the roll pin in, I found out that the punch was stuck firm in the hole. I tried pulling/twisting on it to break it free but wouldn't budge.
Grabbed a small dead blow hammer and began tapping it back out, and just when the tip of it was nearly flush with the gas block the thing freaking broke!

So now instead of a roll pin holding my gas tube in place, I have the tip of a metal punch in there.
Does anyone see any problems with this if I were to leave it? I mean, I could probably still drive it out, but its hanging in there pretty snug, and sits quite flush on both sides of the gas block.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#4]
So your saying you installed the gas tube, lined the holes up on the tube/FSB with a punch and it got stuck and broke flush? If that is the case go try to shoot the rifle, shoot it slow and rapid and if it runs just hold onto your roll pin and fix it right at a later time. It's touchy because one slip/screwup and your gonna cost yourself some money. The point of the gas tube roll pin is so the tube doesn't roll and if your punch piece is holding it in place then I'd at least function test it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:11:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think the broken tip of the punch is going to cause a problem if the roll pin is in place and the punch is stuck inside the roll pin.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So your saying you installed the gas tube, lined the holes up on the tube/FSB with a punch and it got stuck and broke flush? If that is the case go try to shoot the rifle, shoot it slow and rapid and if it runs just hold onto your roll pin and fix it right at a later time. It's touchy because one slip/screwup and your gonna cost yourself some money. The point of the gas tube roll pin is so the tube doesn't roll and if your punch piece is holding it in place then I'd at least function test it.
View Quote

As odd as it sounds, that's exactly what happened. I wouldn't call it perfectly flush, as it has a small, maybe 1/16th of an inch sticking out on either side. As you can see I have rails that go over it though so its not visible. I threw it all back together for the night, BCG and CH still cycle by hand just fine. Waiting on the head space check to put a few down range. If that takes a while ill get it swapped out, but if I cam get it checked soon I'll leave it and if all goes well I'll just leave it until I break it down for some other work/maintenance. Thanks for the response, just wanted to double check before I fired it as is
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top